    actually point out specific details as to why and/or how Vista is such a
    supposed instrument of evil. So I would like to know, what specifically
    about the new operating system is so dangerous?
    ernie16, Feb 18, 2007

  2. "ernie16" <> wrote in message news:r9_Bh.2457$Cr1.16@trnddc08...
    > Ok I have been reading all these rants (not necessarily in this forum, but
    > on other web sites) about how Windows Vista is part of Microsoft's evil
    > plot to gain control over every last PC in the world, yadda yadda. They
    > go on and on about how Vista will take away your freedom to use your PC
    > but never actually point out specific details as to why and/or how Vista
    > is such a supposed instrument of evil. So I would like to know, what
    > specifically about the new operating system is so dangerous?

    Three words - Digital Rights Management
    Microsoft wants to control how music and movies play on all computers.

    Senior's Guide to Computers
    http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com
    Seniors Guide to Computers, Feb 18, 2007

  3. ernie16

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:20:55 +0000, ernie16 wrote:

    > Ok I have been reading all these rants (not necessarily in this forum, but
    > on other web sites) about how Windows Vista is part of Microsoft's evil plot
    > to gain control over every last PC in the world, yadda yadda. They go on
    > and on about how Vista will take away your freedom to use your PC but never
    > actually point out specific details as to why and/or how Vista is such a
    > supposed instrument of evil. So I would like to know, what specifically
    > about the new operating system is so dangerous?

    You must not have been looking very hard.

    http://apcmag.com/5348/vista_defective_by_design
    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/02/windows_vista_e.html
    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/02/drm_in_windows.html
    http://frem.wordpress.com/2006/02/19/ten-reasons-not-to-buy-windows-vista/
    http://apcmag.com/5049/10_reasons_not_to_get_vista
    http://www.technobeta.com/posts/7-reasons-not-to-buy-vista/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128669-page,1/article.html
    http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2007/01/six_reasons_to_.html

    That took about 10 minutes.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Feb 18, 2007
  4. ernie16

    wallster Guest

    On Feb 18, 10:20 am, "ernie16" <> wrote:
    > Ok I have been reading all these rants (not necessarily in this forum, but
    > on other web sites) about how Windows Vista is part of Microsoft's evil plot
    > to gain control over every last PC in the world, yadda yadda. They go on
    > and on about how Vista will take away your freedom to use your PC but never
    > actually point out specific details as to why and/or how Vista is such a
    > supposed instrument of evil. So I would like to know, what specifically
    > about the new operating system is so dangerous?

    I just had the unfortunate experience of a wiped out motherboard. Five
    year old machine, worked good but a new system could be inevitable so
    off i went to go buy a new machine. Like most of my friends, i use my
    pc for emails, browsing the internet, and using a few programs that
    i've purchased over the years. The pc i purchased has an Intel Celeron
    D Processor 356 (3.33GHz), 120gb harddrive, and 512mb of memory.
    Really a better machine than my five year old antiquated pc. Upon
    purchase i realized that nobody (large chain electronic stores) stocks
    a pc (of any brand) that does not have Vista loaded in as the
    operating system. The new computer was purchased, set up, and fired
    up... exciting! The initial start up was painfully long. I can't get
    over how different XP is tha the new Vista. All the little things that
    you learned on 98, ME, or XP are a bit different. Right click on the
    desktop and "where's the trusty properties prompt?" there's a
    "personalize" prompt now. The entire pc looks different. Open a
    program and up comes a prompt asking if YOU want this opened, click
    the allow prompt and it's on to the next five hundred same warning
    prompts. I cleared out the programs that come bundled with the
    computer and install my antivirus program along with some other
    programs (mp3, dig camera software, etc) and this 512mb memory
    installed system becomes a slug. I spend $75. for more memory
    (doubling the 512 mb) and turn off all the user warning crap. I
    configure the look so that it resembles an XP os so my kids, mother,
    and wife can use it.
    I don't no about dangers, i really dont care either. I dont download
    things i'm not familiar with and between the AVG antivirus program
    that updates daily and the spybot s&d that gets run periodically, i
    feel as safe as i want it to be.
    My thoughts on this new os is that if you can only buy a computer with
    it preloaded, some might just get a mac with the os10 os. My Mom is in
    her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
    system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
    emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer is
    noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the ass for
    basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give customers a
    choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
    Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!

    walt
    ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
    one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
    wallster, Feb 19, 2007
  5. ernie16

    tony sayer Guest

    > My Mom is in
    >her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
    >system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
    >emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer is
    >noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the ass for
    >basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give customers a
    >choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
    >Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
    >
    >walt
    >ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
    >one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!

    Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of things
    and free to download:)
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Feb 19, 2007
  6. ernie16

    Baron Guest

    tony sayer inscribed thus:

    >> My Mom is in
    >>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
    >>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
    >>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer
    >>is noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the
    >>ass for basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give
    >>customers a choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
    >>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
    >>
    >>walt
    >>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
    >>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
    >>

    > Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of
    > things and free to download:)
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    I would second that ! Since I dumped that M$ rubbish I've never
    looked back!

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Feb 19, 2007
  7. ernie16

    DH Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> My Mom is in
    >>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
    >>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
    >>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer is
    >>noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the ass for
    >>basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give customers a
    >>choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
    >>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
    >>
    >>walt
    >>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
    >>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
    >>

    > Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of things
    > and free to download:)
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    And which version would you suggest to use rather than Vista?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dave H.
    DH, Feb 20, 2007
  8. ernie16

    JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 03:29:52 +0000, DH wrote:

    >> Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of things
    >> and free to download:)
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer
    >>

    > And which version would you suggest to use rather than Vista?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dave H.

    I'm using Mandriva 2007. The 3D effects and transparencies are fun and
    the rotating multiple desktops are real handy, but I think Mandriva 2006
    was easier to set up and work with, especially for someone who is
    unfamiliar with how to go about doing things. Definitely try version
    2006.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Feb 20, 2007
  9. ernie16

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <QWtCh.64387$>, DH
    <> writes

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>> My Mom is in
    >>>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
    >>>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
    >>>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer is
    >>>noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the ass for
    >>>basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give customers a
    >>>choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
    >>>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
    >>>
    >>>walt
    >>>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
    >>>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
    >>>

    >> Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of things
    >> and free to download:)
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer
    >>

    >And which version would you suggest to use rather than Vista?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Dave H.

    I've been using Suse Linux but their all much of a muchness really. Some
    prefer one flavour over another. What I do know is that a few old
    machines, cast off Windoze boxes, were loaded with Linux and Open
    office, Thunderbird, and Firefox all free software, and have been in
    daily service for over a year now and have not crashed the once and been
    no bother at all:)
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Feb 20, 2007
  10. ernie16

    Baron Guest

    axe the x's inscribed thus:

    > "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>> My Mom is in
    >>>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
    >>>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
    >>>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer
    >>>is noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the
    >>>ass for basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give
    >>>customers a choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
    >>>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
    >>>
    >>>walt
    >>>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
    >>>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
    >>>

    >> Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of
    >> things and free to download:)
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer
    >>

    > And which version would you suggest to use rather than Vista?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dave H.

    I use SuSe Linux 10.0 and 10.2. I prefer 10.0! I don't know that I
    care for the new look KDE ! Still looking for the way to use the old
    style menus!

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Feb 20, 2007
  11. ernie16

    Grappletech Guest

    I'd recommend XandrOS Linux for an easy to use version. It's the easiest
    I've ever used. It's got built in web broswer, email, painting program,
    mp3/media player, etc.. And you go to the XandrOS website and lcik on
    update to update your software.

    Grappletech, Feb 20, 2007