VISTA - PISSING ME OFF ALREADY...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Dec 1, 2006.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    I'm trying to extract files from a backup made in XP.

    I am using the 'advanced' restore feature, and I can select from two
    * hard disk, CD, or DVD (insert... etc...)
    * shared folder on network

    selecting the first radio button, I can *ONLY* select removable devices
    in the list (THERE'S NO HARD DRIVES AVAILABLE TO SELECT FROM!!! - even
    though the wording implies otherwise (quote: "hard disk")).

    So I decide to bullchit the system a bit and cheat - I share the folder
    the backup is in - and try option b. It find NO BACKUP SETS in there
    (well it's bloody there, I can assure you).

    What is the point of this new fangled backup system if it doesn't read
    just one earlier backup set (Windows XP) ???

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Dec 1, 2006

  2. Dave Doe

    impossible Guest

    http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/instructions-restore-files-XP-bkf-file-ftopict18975.html

    impossible, Dec 1, 2006

  3. Dave Doe <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > What is the point of this new fangled backup system if it doesn't read
    > just one earlier backup set (Windows XP) ???

    I say leave all these teething troubles for others. Why be an early
    adopter when XP works well enough? Well, so long as you've a good
    security ethic, Anti-virus, anti-spyware, hardware firewall configured
    properly, etc, etc... hmmm - ok, maybe I CAN see why people are eager to
    try Vista. But has anything REALLY changed? You STILL need all that for
    Vista, don't you?

    It's just not worth the trouble.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 1, 2006
  4. On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:11:41 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > What is the point of this new fangled backup system if it doesn't read
    > just one earlier backup set (Windows XP) ???

    The purpose of all that M$ does is... to make more money for M$.

    There is no other purpose. It is a commercial product - and that is why
    it's such a pathetically poor product - because most people are too
    inanely stupid to realise that there are better desktops than M$ Windows.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    "The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
    would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 1, 2006
  5. Dave Doe

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Re: VISTA - The OS that's got SOME Linux users very worried indeed

    "Aquilegia Alyssum" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:11:41 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> What is the point of this new fangled backup system if it doesn't read
    >> just one earlier backup set (Windows XP) ???

    > The purpose of all that M$ does is... to make more money for M$.
    >
    > There is no other purpose. It is a commercial product - and that is why
    > it's such a pathetically poor product - because most people are too
    > inanely stupid to realise that there are better desktops than M$ Windows.
    >

    > Aquilegia Alyssum

    What a bunch of crap.
    People don't have to follow your fucked up views and religeons at all, same
    goes for your computer setup.

    Who the Hell do you think really cares if you're using an Apple, HP, Dell,
    PC compatible, or a microwave oven?
    Same goes for the OS that you use just like the transport you choose to use.

    It's pretty obvious you're anti computers since you hate people who use the
    many computer products that you choose not to.

    You're one of the most pathetic creatures to have ever walked the planet
    with your very narrow minded attitudes, and obviously need full time medical
    care.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 1, 2006
  6. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1hppi3x.1pyspdeifnsqkN%>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > What is the point of this new fangled backup system if it doesn't read
    > > just one earlier backup set (Windows XP) ???

    > I say leave all these teething troubles for others. Why be an early
    > adopter when XP works well enough? Well, so long as you've a good
    > security ethic, Anti-virus, anti-spyware, hardware firewall configured
    > properly, etc, etc... hmmm - ok, maybe I CAN see why people are eager to
    > try Vista. But has anything REALLY changed? You STILL need all that for
    > Vista, don't you?
    >
    > It's just not worth the trouble.

    I think you need to try out Vista before making such comments - I think
    you'd change your mind.

    It's vastly improved - the GUI is the best I've ever used or seen, and
    it has a heap of improved and new features.

    The only thing I've had (or felt I needed) to add was antivirus (the OS
    points out no anti.v. a bit like XP does) - and the OS is improved to
    help there too (although I did not use any of the suggested products per
    se, I dl'd AVG free and put that on).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Dec 1, 2006
  7. Re: VISTA - The OS that's got SOME Linux users very worried indeed

    E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz(*sling)> wrote:
    [snip]
    > Who the Hell do you think really cares if you're using an Apple, HP, Dell,
    > PC compatible, or a microwave oven?

    Hey, I'm having trouble installing Vista on my Sanyo Microwave Oven. Can
    you help me?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 2, 2006
  8. Dave Doe

    Philip Guest

    Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:11:41 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> What is the point of this new fangled backup system if it doesn't read
    >> just one earlier backup set (Windows XP) ???

    > The purpose of all that M$ does is... to make more money for M$.

    Umm, isn't that the purpose of most companies? If I thought our company
    wasn't going to make money, I'd liquidate and sell out in ten seconds. I
    bet if you ask Red Hat and Suse what their purpose is, making money out
    of it will be pretty high on the list.

    Sure, building great products, meeting the market, making a contribution
    to the society in which we function, being a warm friendly company where
    your sacking notice is a really cute and reassuring shade of pink, will
    all be in the mission statement.

    But for all the years I've worked in different places and industries,
    making enough dosh to be here next month and keep on doing it has been
    pretty much Thing One.

    > There is no other purpose. It is a commercial product - and that is why
    > it's such a pathetically poor product - because most people are too
    > inanely stupid to realise that there are better desktops than M$ Windows.

    Non-sequitur.

    You assert that MS Vista is a "pathetically poor product". That's not
    what reviews from respected commentators like Juha Saarinen are telling me.

    Then you tell us that in your opinion it's so poor "because most people
    are too inanely stupid..."

    Wow, thanks for you opinion, mate. You are obviously one of the
    Enlightened Ones, and the rest of us are but the dregs of the digerati,
    ignorant of all that happens in front of us, unworthy even to lick the
    dust mites from between the keys of your holy keyboard.

    Then you assert that there are "better desktops than MS Windows (tho you
    use the pathetic sideswipe at the company to write M$, which makes me
    wonder if you also write $u$e,. )

    "Better" is subjective: 'better' in the sense that Toyota styling is
    'better' than Honda, that Mercedes fuel injection is 'better' than BMW.
    It's an opinion, nothing more.

    I dislike the intrusive remains of Palladium in MS Vista, I don't admire
    their patenting practices and IP FUD and I actively dislike tne reported
    behavior of Steve Ballmer, and I disgree with Bill Gates' long-running
    campiagn to suggest the open source and free software are some kind of
    "ommunist" conspiracy. That's all bullshit.

    But it doesn't mean their product is lousy, or that people are stupid to
    use it. I dislike Microsoft's behavior enough that I'm migrating all but
    one of our machines here to Ubuntu. The need to keep one machine running
    XP is a recognition of a weakness in our chosen Linux distro - some
    things don't work, either well or at all.

    But so long as you persist with rubbish like "M$" and "most peope are
    too inanely stupid", you're nothing more than a fanboy.

    Philip

    Philip, Dec 2, 2006
  9. Dave Doe

    Shane Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz(*sling)> wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> Who the Hell do you think really cares if you're using an Apple, HP,
    >> Dell, PC compatible, or a microwave oven?

    > Hey, I'm having trouble installing Vista on my Sanyo Microwave Oven. Can
    > you help me?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Why certainly,
    step 1) Download NetBSD (hey it works on toasters)

    --
    [On hearing Fry and Leela came from the Lunar Park]
    Lunar Farmer: Ah! That's a mightly sinful place. The tilt-a-whirl's okay but

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Dec 2, 2006
  10. Dave Doe

    Miguel Guest

    Hello Duncan...

    > I think you need to try out Vista before making such comments - I think
    > you'd change your mind.

    I'm not that up to date with MS. Your comment suggests a "try before
    you buy" with Vista. Is this right and if so how do I do it.

    I still have a 10GB XP partition that I need to boot to now and then,
    so would be interested in a trial version of Vista, just in case I ever
    need to use it.

    > The only thing I've had (or felt I needed) to add was antivirus

    The number one reason I left XP was the lack of security. Is Vista
    already compromised?

    And, just out of interest, when was the Vista launch date? I'm not that
    news savvy but I thought I would have noticed that.

    > Duncan

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Dec 2, 2006
  11. Re: VISTA - The OS that's got SOME Linux users very worried indeed

    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    > > E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz(*sling)> wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > >> Who the Hell do you think really cares if you're using an Apple, HP,
    > >> Dell, PC compatible, or a microwave oven?

    > > Hey, I'm having trouble installing Vista on my Sanyo Microwave Oven. Can
    > > you help me?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Why certainly,
    > step 1) Download NetBSD (hey it works on toasters)

    NetBSD certainly runs outstandingly well on my electric shaver. Maybe
    I'll give it a go on my Microwave too.

    Cheers,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 2, 2006
  12. On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:24:11 +1300, Philip wrote:

    >> There is no other purpose. It is a commercial product - and that is why
    >> it's such a pathetically poor product - because most people are too
    >> inanely stupid to realise that there are better desktops than M$ Windows.

    > Non-sequitur.
    >
    > You assert that MS Vista is a "pathetically poor product". That's not
    > what reviews from respected commentators like Juha Saarinen are telling me.
    >
    > Then you tell us that in your opinion it's so poor "because most people
    > are too inanely stupid..."
    >
    > Wow, thanks for you opinion, mate.

    If that cap fits you...

    Think about what you can do with your PC. Can you watch a DVD from ANY
    region on a M$ Windows based PC? No. Digital Restrictions Management
    *built in* to M$ Windows Vi$ta will prevent you from doing what you like
    with your computer.

    Who controls what your M$ Windows PC will do? Certainly not you - unless
    you install some other OS onto your PC there are things that you are
    prevented from doing.

    Also, all those bits of Malware are sitting out there waiting to exploit
    your machine just as soon as you connect it to the internet.

    M$ Windows Vi$ta is so bloated you will NEED to either properly increase
    the amount of RAM installed in your system, or buy a dongle to plug into a
    USB port that can act as a Flash-RAM cache - and all that simply to get
    your PC's GUI working at an acceptable speed.

    If the persons using M$ Windows really are so stupid that they think all
    that is acceptable, then NO WONDER why M$ can get away with the crappy
    software that it been getting away with!

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 2, 2006
  13. On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:46:04 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > It's vastly improved - the GUI is the best I've ever used or seen, and
    > it has a heap of improved and new features.

    How different is the M$ Windows Vista GUI from KDE3.5?

    And what additional features are there over and above what is available in
    KDE3.5?

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 2, 2006
  14. On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 16:48:21 -0800, Miguel wrote:

    > The number one reason I left XP was the lack of security. Is Vista
    > already compromised?

    Yes. There already is malware that is capable of infecting M$ Windows
    Vi$ta.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 2, 2006
  15. Dave Doe

    Earl Grey Guest

    Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:

    > Think about what you can do with your PC. Can you watch a DVD from ANY
    > region on a M$ Windows based PC? No.

    That will be news to users of AnyDVD or VLC

    Earl Grey, Dec 2, 2006
  16. Re: VISTA - The OS that's got SOME Linux users very worried indeed

    T'was the Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:01:21 +1300 when I remembered
    (Jamie Kahn Genet) saying something like
    this:

    >> Who the Hell do you think really cares if you're using an Apple, HP, Dell,
    >> PC compatible, or a microwave oven?

    >Hey, I'm having trouble installing Vista on my Sanyo Microwave Oven. Can
    >you help me?

    Tried Linux 4.0? You'll need to recompile the kernel though, that
    model display isn't natively supported:)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 2, 2006
  17. Dave Doe

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz(*sling)> wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> Who the Hell do you think really cares if you're using an Apple, HP,
    >> Dell,
    >> PC compatible, or a microwave oven?

    > Hey, I'm having trouble installing Vista on my Sanyo Microwave Oven. Can
    > you help me?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Reset it.
    Turn it on to full power for 2 hours and 45 minutes.

    You'll need to reboot it a few times when done.

    Good luck. ;-)

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 2, 2006
  18. Dave Doe

    Zipper Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:11:41 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the point of this new fangled backup system if it doesn't
    >>> read just one earlier backup set (Windows XP) ???

    >> The purpose of all that M$ does is... to make more money for M$.

    > Umm, isn't that the purpose of most companies? If I thought our company
    > wasn't going to make money, I'd liquidate and sell out in ten seconds. I
    > bet if you ask Red Hat and Suse what their purpose is, making money out
    > of it will be pretty high on the list.
    >
    > Sure, building great products, meeting the market, making a contribution
    > to the society in which we function, being a warm friendly company where
    > your sacking notice is a really cute and reassuring shade of pink, will
    > all be in the mission statement.
    >
    > But for all the years I've worked in different places and industries,
    > making enough dosh to be here next month and keep on doing it has been
    > pretty much Thing One.
    >

    >> There is no other purpose. It is a commercial product - and that is why
    >> it's such a pathetically poor product - because most people are too
    >> inanely stupid to realise that there are better desktops than M$ Windows.

    > Non-sequitur.
    >
    > You assert that MS Vista is a "pathetically poor product". That's not
    > what reviews from respected commentators like Juha Saarinen are telling me.
    >
    > Then you tell us that in your opinion it's so poor "because most people
    > are too inanely stupid..."
    >
    > Wow, thanks for you opinion, mate. You are obviously one of the
    > Enlightened Ones, and the rest of us are but the dregs of the digerati,
    > ignorant of all that happens in front of us, unworthy even to lick the
    > dust mites from between the keys of your holy keyboard.
    >
    > Then you assert that there are "better desktops than MS Windows (tho you
    > use the pathetic sideswipe at the company to write M$, which makes me
    > wonder if you also write $u$e,. )
    >
    > "Better" is subjective: 'better' in the sense that Toyota styling is
    > 'better' than Honda, that Mercedes fuel injection is 'better' than BMW.
    > It's an opinion, nothing more.
    >
    > I dislike the intrusive remains of Palladium in MS Vista, I don't admire
    > their patenting practices and IP FUD and I actively dislike tne reported
    > behavior of Steve Ballmer, and I disgree with Bill Gates' long-running
    > campiagn to suggest the open source and free software are some kind of
    > "ommunist" conspiracy. That's all bullshit.
    >
    > But it doesn't mean their product is lousy, or that people are stupid to
    > use it. I dislike Microsoft's behavior enough that I'm migrating all but
    > one of our machines here to Ubuntu. The need to keep one machine running
    > XP is a recognition of a weakness in our chosen Linux distro - some
    > things don't work, either well or at all.
    >
    > But so long as you persist with rubbish like "M$" and "most peope are
    > too inanely stupid", you're nothing more than a fanboy.
    >
    > Philip

    Very well said, though I fear that your time may have been wasted like
    so many others who have tried to reason with him. He is the very
    definition of a fanboy.

    Zipper, Dec 2, 2006
  19. Re: PISTA - DISSING ME OFF ALREADY...

    In message <4570c7a0$>, Philip wrote:

    > Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:11:41 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the point of this new fangled backup system if it doesn't read
    >>> just one earlier backup set (Windows XP) ???

    >> The purpose of all that M$ does is... to make more money for M$.

    > Umm, isn't that the purpose of most companies?

    Indeed. The MMT (Mightgrowsoft Marketing Team) applied some patented MSL
    (Market Share Logic(TM)) and came to a few interesting conclusions
    regarding backup software. While it turns out that about 25% of people do
    perform some kind of backup, the number who actually _restore_ any of those
    backups is vanishingly small. In fact, the number of backup restorers is to
    the number of Linux desktop users as the number of those is to that of
    Dimdows users. Since the number of Linux desktop users is generally
    considered to be insignificantly small, it therefore follows that the
    backup-restoration market is essentially negligible.

    Therefore you will see the continuing evolution of Mightgrowsoft backup
    software concentrating more on enhancing the backup experience, making it a
    much more fun and inclusive activity for all the family and the family
    pets, and de-emphasizing the restore experience (which only a small number
    of sad nit-picking nerds care about anyway). There will be greater use of
    ILC (Infinite Lossy Compression) and WOM (Write-Only Memory), greatly
    reducing the burden of JBM (Juggling Backup Media). The backup-restoration
    market will become more of a "third-party opportunity"--left to those who
    can figure out how to make a profit from it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 3, 2006
  20. Dave Doe

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: PISTA - DISSING ME OFF ALREADY...

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:28:47 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <4570c7a0$>, Philip wrote:
    >
    >> Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:

    >>> The purpose of all that M$ does is... to make more money for M$.

    >> Umm, isn't that the purpose of most companies?

    >Indeed. The MMT (Mightgrowsoft Marketing Team) applied some patented MSL
    >(Market Share Logic(TM)) and came to a few interesting conclusions
    >regarding backup software. While it turns out that about 25% of people do
    >perform some kind of backup, the number who actually _restore_ any of those
    >backups is vanishingly small. In fact, the number of backup restorers is to
    >the number of Linux desktop users as the number of those is to that of
    >Dimdows users. Since the number of Linux desktop users is generally
    >considered to be insignificantly small, it therefore follows that the
    >backup-restoration market is essentially negligible.
    >
    >Therefore you will see the continuing evolution of Mightgrowsoft backup
    >software concentrating more on enhancing the backup experience, making it a
    >much more fun and inclusive activity for all the family and the family
    >pets, and de-emphasizing the restore experience (which only a small number
    >of sad nit-picking nerds care about anyway). There will be greater use of
    >ILC (Infinite Lossy Compression) and WOM (Write-Only Memory), greatly
    >reducing the burden of JBM (Juggling Backup Media). The backup-restoration
    >market will become more of a "third-party opportunity"--left to those who
    >can figure out how to make a profit from it.

    What an absolute crock of shit.

    It is fascinating that you spend so much time writing such drivel. You
    must be REALLY worried about what Vista's going to do to your tinpot
    OSs, MacLinuxGeek.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 3, 2006