    tried replacing the sam file, then all the others(system,default..etc)
    in config backup....no good.

    any ideas before i start backing up and reinstalling????

    Sleepy-Tom, Apr 4, 2009

  2. Sleepy-Tom

    John Holmes Guest

    Sleepy-Tom "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I reset the Administrator password on a vistaHP machine using a

    password
    > reset cd(active password changer)
    > Now vista will show the loading bar then goes to a black screen with

    the
    > mouse pointer.
    > i can move the pointer but thats all it does.
    >
    > CTRL+ALT+DEL(not working),last known config,safe mode,repair your
    > computer,sys restore. etc.. are no help.
    >
    > tried replacing the sam file, then all the others(system,default..etc)
    > in config backup....no good.
    >
    > any ideas before i start backing up and reinstalling????

    Have you tried this one?
    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Apr 4, 2009

  3. Sleepy-Tom

    Sleepy-Tom Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > Sleepy-Tom "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I reset the Administrator password on a vistaHP machine using a

    > password
    >> reset cd(active password changer)
    >> Now vista will show the loading bar then goes to a black screen with

    > the
    >> mouse pointer.
    >> i can move the pointer but thats all it does.
    >>
    >> CTRL+ALT+DEL(not working),last known config,safe mode,repair your
    >> computer,sys restore. etc.. are no help.
    >>
    >> tried replacing the sam file, then all the others(system,default..etc)
    >> in config backup....no good.
    >>
    >> any ideas before i start backing up and reinstalling????
    >>

    > Have you tried this one?
    > http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    tried that, it says no sam file found and the partition shows up as fat16.
    its definitely an ntfs partition and the sam file is in its normal position.

    Sleepy-Tom, Apr 5, 2009
  4. Sleepy-Tom

    John Holmes Guest

    Sleepy-Tom "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> Sleepy-Tom "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> I reset the Administrator password on a vistaHP machine using a

    >> password
    >>> reset cd(active password changer)
    >>> Now vista will show the loading bar then goes to a black screen with

    >> the
    >>> mouse pointer.
    >>> i can move the pointer but thats all it does.
    >>>
    >>> CTRL+ALT+DEL(not working),last known config,safe mode,repair your
    >>> computer,sys restore. etc.. are no help.
    >>>
    >>> tried replacing the sam file, then all the
    >>> others(system,default..etc) in config backup....no good.
    >>>
    >>> any ideas before i start backing up and reinstalling????
    >>>

    >> Have you tried this one?
    >> http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >>

    > tried that, it says no sam file found and the partition shows up as
    > fat16. its definitely an ntfs partition and the sam file is in its
    > normal position.

    Look around for ERD Commander then. It can be found in several open
    dir's.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Apr 5, 2009
  5. Sleepy-Tom wrote:
    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> Sleepy-Tom "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> I reset the Administrator password on a vistaHP machine using a

    >> password
    >>> reset cd(active password changer)
    >>> Now vista will show the loading bar then goes to a black screen with

    >> the
    >>> mouse pointer.
    >>> i can move the pointer but thats all it does.
    >>>
    >>> CTRL+ALT+DEL(not working),last known config,safe mode,repair your
    >>> computer,sys restore. etc.. are no help.
    >>>
    >>> tried replacing the sam file, then all the
    >>> others(system,default..etc) in config backup....no good.
    >>>
    >>> any ideas before i start backing up and reinstalling????
    >>>

    >> Have you tried this one?
    >> http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >>

    > tried that, it says no sam file found and the partition shows up as fat16.
    > its definitely an ntfs partition and the sam file is in its normal
    > position.

    I'll A55ume that you're being dumped at a command prompt or you cna at
    least get to one, if so do this:

    'net users'
    then 'administrator *'
    if you want to try to reset your username do:
    'yourname *' hitting enter after of course.

    HTH

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org

    §ñühw¤£f, Apr 5, 2009