Vista or incompatible hardware?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Kenny, Mar 30, 2009.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Also posted this to a Vista group.

    New Toshiba A300 laptop with Vista Business pre-installed.
    Wlan drivers were not installed or supplied which I thought odd but went to
    Toshiba site and downloaded and installed driver for:
    "wlan-intel-3945-4965-v1200730-vista32.zip"
    From the start connection was very hit and miss, if I persevered and kept
    trying diagnosing and repairing the connection it might connect or might
    not.
    Now it won't connect at all.
    From previous experience I knew that a misconfigured firewall could cause
    problems so I uninstalled the trial version of McAfee and turned off Windows
    firewall, I intended to install Zone Alarm anyway. Also disabled router
    firewall.
    No difference at all.
    I should add that laptop can see the modem/router and signal strength is
    maximum.
    Downloaded and installed the drivers again in case of a corrupt or damaged
    file, again no difference.
    The modem/router is a 3Com Office Connect 3CRWDR100A-72, I also downloaded
    and installed the most recent firmware for that which is dated 26Apr2007.
    Could it be that the modem/router is incompatible with Vista?
    Still think it's odd that WLAN was not pre-installed when everything else
    was.
    1 XP PC hard wired and 2 XP PC's wireless connected to same router no
    problem at all.
    Replies appreciated.

    --
    Kenny Cargill
    Kenny, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Kenny

    Pavel A. Guest

    It's hard to tell without some more technical details provided:
    the kind of security set on the router (WPA2, WPA/PSK?),
    a log obtained by "netsh wlan set tracing" can be useful.

    regards,
    --pa

    Pavel A., Mar 30, 2009

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    No access to laptop till later this afternoon but accessing router from
    desktop:

    General Information
    3C number 3CRWDR100A-72
    Software version 2.06T13 (Apr 25 2007 17:06:30)
    Boot loader version 0.67.3
    Wireless version 0.8.0.40
    ADSL modem version 07.00.04.00A
    Hardware version 01
    Serial number M8SA6GEB71F6A

    Access From The Internet
    Firewall Disabled
    Universal Plug & Play Enabled
    Discard ping from the Internet Yes

    Internet Settings
    WAN Connection Type PPPOA
    Status CONNECTED
    Internet IP address 80.189.64.136
    Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
    ISP Gateway Address 195.166.128.31
    Primary DNS 212.159.13.50
    Secondary DNS 212.159.13.49
    WAN MAC Address 00-14-7C-B7-1F-6B

    LAN Settings
    LAN IP address 192.168.1.1
    LAN Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server Enabled
    DHCP Range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254
    LAN MAC Address 00-14-7C-B7-1F-6A

    Wireless Settings
    Wireless Networking Enabled
    Wireless Encryption WPA-PSK (no server)
    Channel 11
    SSID 3Com
    WLAN MAC Address 00-14-7C-B7-1F-6C

    If it was a misconfiguration it would never have connected at all, or would
    it?

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Kenny

    Pavel A. Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > No access to laptop till later this afternoon but accessing router from
    > desktop:
    >
    > General Information
    > 3C number 3CRWDR100A-72
    > Software version 2.06T13 (Apr 25 2007 17:06:30)
    > Boot loader version 0.67.3
    > Wireless version 0.8.0.40
    > ADSL modem version 07.00.04.00A
    > Hardware version 01
    > Serial number M8SA6GEB71F6A
    >
    > Access From The Internet
    > Firewall Disabled
    > Universal Plug & Play Enabled
    > Discard ping from the Internet Yes
    >
    > Internet Settings
    > WAN Connection Type PPPOA
    > Status CONNECTED
    > Internet IP address 80.189.64.136
    > Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
    > ISP Gateway Address 195.166.128.31
    > Primary DNS 212.159.13.50
    > Secondary DNS 212.159.13.49
    > WAN MAC Address 00-14-7C-B7-1F-6B
    >

    > LAN Settings
    > LAN IP address 192.168.1.1
    > LAN Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    > DHCP Server Enabled
    > DHCP Range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254
    > LAN MAC Address 00-14-7C-B7-1F-6A
    >
    > Wireless Settings
    > Wireless Networking Enabled
    > Wireless Encryption WPA-PSK (no server)
    > Channel 11
    > SSID 3Com
    > WLAN MAC Address 00-14-7C-B7-1F-6C
    >

    > If it was a misconfiguration it would never have connected at all, or would
    > it?

    It would. So you use WPA/PSK. Well.
    Then maybe this is because of wireless interference, try to move to
    another channel. Try channels 1 or 6.

    -- pa
    Pavel A., Mar 30, 2009
  5. Kenny

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:37:44 +0100, "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >Also posted this to a Vista group.
    >
    >New Toshiba A300 laptop with Vista Business pre-installed.
    >Wlan drivers were not installed or supplied which I thought odd but went to
    >Toshiba site and downloaded and installed driver for:
    >"wlan-intel-3945-4965-v1200730-vista32.zip"
    >From the start connection was very hit and miss, if I persevered and kept
    >trying diagnosing and repairing the connection it might connect or might
    >not.
    >Now it won't connect at all.
    >From previous experience I knew that a misconfigured firewall could cause
    >problems so I uninstalled the trial version of McAfee and turned off Windows
    >firewall, I intended to install Zone Alarm anyway. Also disabled router
    >firewall.
    >No difference at all.
    >I should add that laptop can see the modem/router and signal strength is
    >maximum.
    >Downloaded and installed the drivers again in case of a corrupt or damaged
    >file, again no difference.
    >The modem/router is a 3Com Office Connect 3CRWDR100A-72, I also downloaded
    >and installed the most recent firmware for that which is dated 26Apr2007.
    >Could it be that the modem/router is incompatible with Vista?
    >Still think it's odd that WLAN was not pre-installed when everything else
    >was.
    >1 XP PC hard wired and 2 XP PC's wireless connected to same router no
    >problem at all.
    >Replies appreciated.

    Kenny,

    If at all possible, connect both computers using Ethernet, and remove WiFi from
    the list of possible problems.

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html

    And look at the Vista Scalable Networking options. Several of them could
    involve the router, and cause intermittent local connectivity problems.

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2008/10/windows-vista-and-scalable-networking.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
    Chuck [MVP], Mar 30, 2009
  6. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks to all for the help.
    Eventually figured it was the wrong drivers.
    My particular model, Satellite Pro A300-1E7, wasn't listed on Toshiba
    support.
    There were 3 other drivers listed for A300 so I tried them all, the only
    ones which appeared to work, albeit sporadically, were the Intel ones.
    There was nothing in the documentation or on the PC to correctly identify
    the WLAN chipset, I only realised it when looking at a website advertising
    it which gave the full specifications.
    Eventually got the right drivers from the Intel site, not Toshiba!
    I'm still very annoyed that these drivers weren't pre-installed like they
    should have been and that I had to go to all this trouble to get it working.
    It was coming very close to the point where it was going back in the box and
    being sent back to eBuyer for a refund.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Mar 30, 2009