Vista OEM Version

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by El Patriota©, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. El Patriota©, Feb 5, 2007

  2. El Patriota©

    Daave Guest

    El Patriota© wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I can buy a brandnew copy of Vista. Its a OEM version.
    > Is that wise to do?
    > And how come it's cheaper?

    According to the license, an OEM version can only be used on the PC you
    install it on AND you will never be allowed to transfer it; so once your
    PC is out of commission, your legal right to use that particular OS is
    terminated. If you buy the retail version (which is more expensive), the
    license allows you transfer the OS to any other machine, but you can't
    legally use it on more than one machine at a time.

    --
    Dave
    Daave, Feb 5, 2007

  3. El Patriota©

    Vanguard Guest

    "El Patriota©" <TodoPorLaPatria(NO SPAM)@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I can buy a brandnew copy of Vista. Its a OEM version.
    > Is that wise to do?

    New to computers (so OEM is something new to you)?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Equipment_Manufacturer

    > And how come it's cheaper?

    Because you aren't paying for support from Microsoft. You might not get
    any, either, from the OEM. It's not a big loss since included support
    for Windows is all of 2 support calls.
    Vanguard, Feb 5, 2007
  4. El Patriota©

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:29:52 -0500, Daave wrote:

    >El Patriota© wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I can buy a brandnew copy of Vista. Its a OEM version.
    >> Is that wise to do?
    >> And how come it's cheaper?

    >According to the license, an OEM version can only be used on the PC you
    >install it on AND you will never be allowed to transfer it; so once your
    >PC is out of commission, your legal right to use that particular OS is
    >terminated. If you buy the retail version (which is more expensive), the
    >license allows you transfer the OS to any other machine, but you can't

    Isn't that the bit MS changed to - only transfer to 1 other PC.

    http://apcmag.com/5049/10_reasons_not_to_get_vista
    <snippit of article>
    your software new terms with Vista include being able to transfer the
    license only once; half the limit compared to XP

    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2030003,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532
    <3 snippits of the article>

    What follows is quoted from the Windows Vista End User License Agreement
    as published on Microsoft's own web site.

    "15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE. a. Software Other than Windows Anytime
    Upgrade. The first user of the software may reassign the license to
    another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device
    becomes the "licensed device." "

    if you swap motherboards more than once, then you get to plunk down
    another several hundred bucks for a new Vista license.

    >legally use it on more than one machine at a time.

    Different point.

    Me
    why?, Feb 5, 2007
  5. "Vanguard" <> schreef in bericht
    > "El Patriota©" <TodoPorLaPatria(NO SPAM)@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> I can buy a brandnew copy of Vista. Its a OEM version.
    >> Is that wise to do?

    > New to computers (so OEM is something new to you)?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Equipment_Manufacturer
    >
    >> And how come it's cheaper?

    > Because you aren't paying for support from Microsoft. You might not get
    > any, either, from the OEM. It's not a big loss since included support for
    > Windows is all of 2 support calls.

    Thanks a lot everybody for the info.
    Jerry,
    --