    Now the only question is, if this is a local thing (for me, the
    Netherlands), or international.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Jud Hendrix

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Jud Hendrix, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Tony Sperling, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Jud Hendrix

    DP Guest

    So, as I read this, if I buy the OEM version at New Egg (64-bit Ultimate is
    $199), then I should legally still be able to dual boot into XP pro x64,
    right? Because by buying the OEM, I am not taking advtange of "upgrade
    pricing." (BTW: The Upgrade version of Ultimate is about $50 more than the
    full OEM version.)

    Anybody see something I'm missing here?

    DP, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Jud Hendrix

    Dshai Guest

    That's how I read it, as to self-support, other than this NG and others like
    it, I've been doing that for years, as well as providing what support I
    could for others, this almost sounds like a deal too good to be true...;o)

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Self support is use by MS to mean the newsgroups and forums, the
    knowledgebase, and books and other self-help sources. In other words,
    you're on your own.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 31, 2007
  7. When was the last time any of us called MS or our OEM for client support?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Jud Hendrix

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:25:21 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >When was the last time any of us called MS or our OEM for client support?

    In the 10 years I use Windows for personal use? Uhm, never :-D I rely on
    self-support, and it has never failed me. Having to go through 1st
    line-support is such a turn-off, that I just can't bring up the patience to
    wait for 2nd line (and that goes for every company, not only MS).
    So, this self-support arrangement for Vista would be great for me

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jan 31, 2007
  9. Jud Hendrix

    Jane C Guest

    That would be never ;-)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Jan 31, 2007
  10. My point exactly. I have used MS support for server problems. And they have
    been _great_. But client? Worst case scenario, I rebuild the thing.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 31, 2007
  11. Jud Hendrix

    DP Guest

    I think the last time I called MS would have been around the time of Windows
    95 or 98. For some reason that escapes me now, I uninstalled Internet
    Explorer. When I did, Windows itself stopped working. ( I guess my case
    could have been a prime exhibit in the antitrust suit.)
    Called MS late at night and the guy walked me through the repair.

    DP, Jan 31, 2007
  12. Jud Hendrix

    Dshai Guest

    I think I remember calling Broderbund and HP on a problem with Riven back in
    '98, but MS, never would be the answer there.

    Dshai, Jan 31, 2007
  13. Precisely, and not altogether a bad thing either, in my opinion. That is how
    a lot of 'us' got along all the time. What's so funny, is that the concept
    is actually mentioned in the licensing, or at least in license related text.
    Words like 'Compatibility' and 'Support', was always given a halo of
    uprightness and honor in the software business. It could be worth noting
    that this has now completely changed (well, the change has been on-going for
    some time, of course), and that this happens at a time when MS has started
    'flirting' in the shadows with the concept of 'Open Source', also not
    entirely a bad thing - but we will see attempts at Open Sourcing under
    various strange forms of proprietary licenses in the future too. (And not
    only from Microsoft, I might add!)

    I don't find it unlikely that such attempts will circle around variations to
    the 'Open Door' policy - Invite everybody in at the front and charge them at
    the exit in the back. Or, invite them in at the front, but don't actually
    LET them inside?

    I was laughing myself to sleep!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 31, 2007
  14. Jud Hendrix

    John Barnes Guest

    This is one case where you have to have planned ahead. OEM, as far as
    everything I have seen, will only provide you with one edition (x86 or x64).
    Many have posted that they want to initially use x86, but in a year or two
    when they get new computers, want to move to x64. Unless I missed
    something, they would have to buy the other edition, thus doubling the cost.

    John Barnes, Jan 31, 2007
  15. I have used PSS a dozen or more times and never been sorry. Most of the
    issues were with upgrades, such as trying to figure out why IE7 just would
    not install on my wife's laptop. It is sensless not to use PSS when you
    know that you have done your best to resolve an issue and it is stubbornly
    persisting. In fact, if you are entitled to use PSS then why the heck not?
    This "me-super-user--no-needum-help" stuff just doesn't make sense to me.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 31, 2007
  16. Jud Hendrix

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree. I have used support a couple of times. Once when SP2 hosed my
    installation beyond help (after numerous attempt to resolve, they sent a
    replacement with SP2 already included), also a .net update caused numerous
    problems and a sharp techie at Microsoft helped resolve this reasonably
    quickly. Both were covered by the free update service support, but could
    well be worth the difference in cost to most Windows users.

    John Barnes, Jan 31, 2007
  17. Oh, just about the last time I called Novell for client support <smile..

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgU2NobnVy?=, Feb 2, 2007