Vista Licensing Speeds Linux Move

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Stephen Samuel writes "Australia's NSW Office of State Revenue is speeding
    it's transition to a Linux desktop due in part to a lackluster interest in
    Microsoft's attempt to lock them into the Software Assurance Program,
    reports LinuxWorld. The agency's CIO and manager of client services both
    confirmed they would start scoping for a move to a Linux desktop within six
    months. Manager Pravash Babhoota seemed satisfied with a Linux move in
    their back office, citing Linux costs as being just over 1/6 the projected
    cost of a Windows upgrade, while processing doubled."

    "The NSW Office of State Revenue (OSR) is taking a tough stance against
    Microsoft's decision to make an enterprise edition of Windows Vista only
    available to companies that have signed on to its Software Assurance
    program. The tax collection agency has declared it would rather switch
    desktop operating systems than lock itself into Microsoft's licensing
    regime."

    http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/01/1525221&from=rss

    http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1585732244&eid=-50

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, Oct 2, 2005

  2. Imhotep

    Dazz Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:02:59 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >Stephen Samuel writes "Australia's NSW Office of State Revenue is speeding
    >it's transition to a Linux desktop due in part to a lackluster interest in
    >Microsoft's attempt to lock them into the Software Assurance Program,
    >reports LinuxWorld. The agency's CIO and manager of client services both
    >confirmed they would start scoping for a move to a Linux desktop within six
    >months. Manager Pravash Babhoota seemed satisfied with a Linux move in
    >their back office, citing Linux costs as being just over 1/6 the projected
    >cost of a Windows upgrade, while processing doubled."

    I wonder if M$ will now need to "fund" another Market Research company
    to "tweek" the figures to show how it in fact cost the OSR a zillion
    times more than they are actually letting on to do the move? ;-P

    >"The NSW Office of State Revenue (OSR) is taking a tough stance against
    >Microsoft's decision to make an enterprise edition of Windows Vista only
    >available to companies that have signed on to its Software Assurance
    >program. The tax collection agency has declared it would rather switch
    >desktop operating systems than lock itself into Microsoft's licensing
    >regime."

    Now if only I convince the Gov entity I work for to do the same thing.

    >http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/01/1525221&from=rss
    >
    >http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1585732244&eid=-50
    >
    >Imhotep

    Dazz
    Dazz, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Dazz wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:02:59 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Stephen Samuel writes "Australia's NSW Office of State Revenue is speeding
    >>it's transition to a Linux desktop due in part to a lackluster interest in
    >>Microsoft's attempt to lock them into the Software Assurance Program,
    >>reports LinuxWorld. The agency's CIO and manager of client services both
    >>confirmed they would start scoping for a move to a Linux desktop within
    >>six months. Manager Pravash Babhoota seemed satisfied with a Linux move in
    >>their back office, citing Linux costs as being just over 1/6 the projected
    >>cost of a Windows upgrade, while processing doubled."

    > I wonder if M$ will now need to "fund" another Market Research company
    > to "tweek" the figures to show how it in fact cost the OSR a zillion
    > times more than they are actually letting on to do the move? ;-P

    Ya, I know. This used to piss me off. They shot themselves with the
    "research" in "Get the Facts" campaign. All this did is bring to light how
    far M$ is willing to go by lying to their users....

    >>"The NSW Office of State Revenue (OSR) is taking a tough stance against
    >>Microsoft's decision to make an enterprise edition of Windows Vista only
    >>available to companies that have signed on to its Software Assurance
    >>program. The tax collection agency has declared it would rather switch
    >>desktop operating systems than lock itself into Microsoft's licensing
    >>regime."

    > Now if only I convince the Gov entity I work for to do the same thing.

    Well, I used to work for the Gov and I installed many Red Hat systems
    including DNS/DCHP, internal firewalls and emails systems. Also, look at
    Massachusetts is doing. They just gave M$ the boot for their office
    software...You definitely have some "bullets" to use in your arguments.

    >>http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/01/1525221&from=rss
    >>
    >>http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1585732244&eid=-50
    >>
    >>Imhotep

    > Dazz

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Imhotep

    Management Guest

    Dazz wrote:
    <SNIP>

    > I wonder if M$ will now need to "fund" another Market Research company
    > to "tweek" the figures to show how it in fact cost the OSR a zillion
    > times more than they are actually letting on to do the move? ;-P

    <SNIP>

    I wonder if M$ have so lost touch that they see themselves as
    unassailable. They certainly don't seem to see the storm clouds
    gathering as more and more nations, authorities & individuals say
    'enough is enough' whilst moving to open source solutions.
    Microsoft's attitude to the Open XML document standard is a fine
    example of monolithic suicide - by the time they bring Office 12 to
    market there may not be many people wanting it. Ditto Vista, Visa,
    Vhatever. And those two products are what feeds M$. trouble is M$
    have for some time been updating for the $ not for innovation and
    people are, at long last, waking up.

    There's little argument for people to upgrade from XP, or Office 97
    for that matter! We spoke about this at home this evening where we
    have a small network of three machines running Windows XP. Thing is,
    we already use Thunderbird, Firefox & Open Office - we might as
    well be running Suse 9.

    Charlie.

    --
    Broadcasting to the environs