vista license restrictions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob, Oct 27, 2006.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Oct 27, 2006

  2. In message <>, Rob wrote:

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/vista-license-transfers-not-as-restrictive-as-initially-reported/

    > Don't know where they got their info, I'd much rather see it in black &
    > white in the eula.

    Which is available from the Microsoft site.

    Here's another analysis:
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/29/microsoft_vista_eula_analysis/>.
    Some draconian restrictions on what kinds of benchmarking you're allowed to
    perform; prohibitions on performing DRM-controlled functions when running
    under virtualization; and confirmation of the limitations on licence
    transfers.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Rob wrote:
    >
    > http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/vista-license-transfers-not-as-restrictive-as-initially-reported/
    >> Don't know where they got their info, I'd much rather see it in black &
    >> white in the eula.

    > Which is available from the Microsoft site.
    >
    > Here's another analysis:
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/29/microsoft_vista_eula_analysis/>.
    > Some draconian restrictions on what kinds of benchmarking you're allowed to
    > perform; prohibitions on performing DRM-controlled functions when running
    > under virtualization; and confirmation of the limitations on licence
    > transfers.

    And the scary part is; 99% of users won't read the eula, and if they
    did, either would not understand the implications, or not care, as the
    only time they upgrade their computers is when a new version of windows
    comes out. No matter how much commentators point it out, they will
    ignore it until it affects them personally, like if they upgrade their
    pc twice more before the next version of windows comes out.

    I wonder that they haven't yet added a clause to prevent
    educators/tutors etc. from discussing the eula in class, or sue an
    editor or blogger for raising questions about it.

    I've never been a Microsoft basher, but it is impossible for me to
    retain any form of neutrality over this.

    --
    Rob

    Considering the current sad state of our computer programs,
    software development is clearly still a black art, and cannot yet be
    called an engineering discipline. (Bill Clinton)

    Rob, Oct 30, 2006