    machine to accept the key please.
    --
    Keith Willcocks

    Keith Willcocks, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Keith Willcocks

    Nospam Guest

    In message <>, Keith Willcocks
    <> writes
    >I have a Vista Laptop and need to connect to a router that is operating with
    >a non hexadecimal 6 character WEP key. The other PCs connecting to it are
    >all XP machines and have no difficulty. My Vista machine brings up a
    >message that the key is wrong and must be 5 or 13 characters for non hex and
    >10 or 26 characters for hex. Changing the security to WPA or changing the
    >key itself are not options available to me. How can I persuade the Vista
    >machine to accept the key please.

    I had the same problem with a new laptop running vista.
    My XP and win2000 systems were OK.

    Vista was saying incorrect key.

    it turned out to be the router needed its firmware updated.

    After I updated my router, speedtouch 580, All was well with the world.

    --
    Nospam

    Nospam, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Keith Willcocks

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you possibly are using some passphrase generator 6 character phrase
    as opposed to the actual ASCI or HEX key.

    consider doing what you need to do to make WPA an option for you. Or
    buying a new router that supports WPA. WEP is not safe at all. Not
    sure why you can't make these changes. Isn't this your network?

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 18:03:18 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Vista Laptop and need to connect to a router that is operating with
    >a non hexadecimal 6 character WEP key. The other PCs connecting to it are
    >all XP machines and have no difficulty. My Vista machine brings up a
    >message that the key is wrong and must be 5 or 13 characters for non hex and
    >10 or 26 characters for hex. Changing the security to WPA or changing the
    >key itself are not options available to me. How can I persuade the Vista
    >machine to accept the key please.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Regrettably the router is not accessible to me. It is a company one and
    only the outsourced IT people can get in. They have given me the 6
    character key which is, and I am happy to quote it here because it is of no
    use
    to anyone else, "l0gger" with one numeric character (the zero). As far as
    they are concerned that is all I need but it seems that Vista, unlike XP,
    won't play ball. I work one day a week there writing Access database
    applications and use my own laptop for it but I need the network access to
    use the printing facilities.
    --
    Keith Willcocks

    Keith Willcocks, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Keith Willcocks

    Nospam Guest

    In message <>, Keith Willcocks
    <> writes
    >Regrettably the router is not accessible to me. It is a company one and
    >only the outsourced IT people can get in. They have given me the 6
    >character key which is, and I am happy to quote it here because it is of no
    >use
    >to anyone else, "l0gger" with one numeric character (the zero). As far as
    >they are concerned that is all I need but it seems that Vista, unlike XP,
    >won't play ball. I work one day a week there writing Access database
    >applications and use my own laptop for it but I need the network access to
    >use the printing facilities.

    Do they have any vista systems accessing the router?

    If they do then it's not a router issue but down to your system i'm
    afraid.

    not that i am saying it is a router problem, i just know of 7 people who
    had to update their router to allow vista systems to access their
    router.
    --
    Nospam

    Nospam, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Keith Willcocks

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you need to find the utility that coverts that to HEX
    or ask them for the actual HEX key.

    Barb Bowman, Feb 6, 2008
  7. "Nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, Keith Willcocks
    > <> writes
    >>Regrettably the router is not accessible to me. It is a company one and
    >>only the outsourced IT people can get in. They have given me the 6
    >>character key which is, and I am happy to quote it here because it is of
    >>no
    >>use
    >>to anyone else, "l0gger" with one numeric character (the zero). As far
    >>as
    >>they are concerned that is all I need but it seems that Vista, unlike XP,
    >>won't play ball. I work one day a week there writing Access database
    >>applications and use my own laptop for it but I need the network access to
    >>use the printing facilities.

    > Do they have any vista systems accessing the router?
    >
    > If they do then it's not a router issue but down to your system i'm
    > afraid.
    >
    > not that i am saying it is a router problem, i just know of 7 people who
    > had to update their router to allow vista systems to access their router.

    Mine is the only Vista PC trying to access the system. All the others are
    XP. I am going to take up Barb's suggestion next Wednesday.
    --
    Keith Willcocks

    Keith Willcocks, Feb 7, 2008
  8. I will take it up again with them next Wednesday. I wasn't aware that it
    was (for want of a better description) an intermediate code. Thanks for
    the advice.

    Keith Willcocks, Feb 7, 2008
  9. Keith Willcocks

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Feb 7, 2008
  10. Will do. Thanks for your interest.

    Keith Willcocks, Feb 7, 2008
  11. Keith Willcocks

    Guest

    On Feb 7, 6:03 pm, "Keith Willcocks" <>
    wrote:
    > Will do.  Thanks for your interest.
    > --
    > Keith Willcocks
    > (If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message

    > > let us know either way

    > > On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:38:17 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>I will take it up again with them next Wednesday.   I wasn't aware that it
    > >>was (for want of a better description) an intermediate code.   Thanks for
    > >>the advice.

    > > --

    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS-MVP
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    > >http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/- Hide quoted text -

    I have used WEP on Vista and it works fine , however unlike XP where
    you just clicked on the available network and it asked you to put in
    your WEP key (like it should do) Vista would not. You have to go into
    the START>CONNECT TO , choose your connections , go into the settings
    for that connection Choose WEP and then choose SHARED KEY (if it is
    one) and then type in yor WEP KEY. I assume it was done this way
    because if it tells you what encryption type is being used it is a
    security flaw , however XP already does it a much simpler way and if
    it was gonna be hacked I'm sure it would be from Linux which also has
    good tools to tell it what kind of encryption is used... another
    reason not to use Vista, yet in my eyes...

    , Feb 10, 2008
  12. Keith Willcocks

    Sven Pran Guest

    <> wrote in message
    I have used WEP on Vista and it works fine , however unlike XP where
    you just clicked on the available network and it asked you to put in
    your WEP key (like it should do) Vista would not. You have to go into
    the START>CONNECT TO , choose your connections , go into the settings
    for that connection Choose WEP and then choose SHARED KEY (if it is
    one) and then type in yor WEP KEY. I assume it was done this way
    because if it tells you what encryption type is being used it is a
    security flaw , however XP already does it a much simpler way and if
    it was gonna be hacked I'm sure it would be from Linux which also has
    good tools to tell it what kind of encryption is used... another
    reason not to use Vista, yet in my eyes...

    There is nothing wrong with Vista in this respect, but WEP is a disaster!

    Sven

    Sven Pran, Feb 10, 2008
    wrote:
    > Will do. Thanks for your interest.
    > --
    > Keith Willcocks
    > (If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message

    > > let us know either way

    > > On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:38:17 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>I will take it up again with them next Wednesday. I wasn't aware that it
    > >>was (for want of a better description) an intermediate code. Thanks for
    > >>the advice.

    > > --

    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS-MVP
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    > >http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/- Hide quoted text -

    >I have used WEP on Vista and it works fine , however unlike XP where
    >you just clicked on the available network and it asked you to put in
    >your WEP key (like it should do) Vista would not. You have to go into
    >the START>CONNECT TO , choose your connections , go into the settings
    >for that connection Choose WEP and then choose SHARED KEY (if it is
    >one) and then type in yor WEP KEY. I assume it was done this way
    >because if it tells you what encryption type is being used it is a
    >security flaw , however XP already does it a much simpler way and if
    >it was gonna be hacked I'm sure it would be from Linux which also has
    >good tools to tell it what kind of encryption is used... another
    >reason not to use Vista, yet in my eyes...

    Thanks, I will also try that out this coming Wednesday.

    Keith Willcocks

    Keith Willcocks, Feb 10, 2008
  14. I said I would come back and update after this weel's Wednesday visit. I
    got connected to the wireless router by accident. I had not heard back
    from the IT people so had a tinger. I typed in the passphrase I had been
    given and inadvertently missed out one character and, lo and behold, I got a
    connection. However it is reported as "limited" and I can't do anything
    with it. I do have a username and password for using the network but I
    could not find a means of entering them. Perhaps some suggestion may be
    forthcoming for next Wednesday?
    --
    Keith Willcocks

    Keith Willcocks, Feb 14, 2008
  15. Keith Willcocks

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I believe you need to ask them for the HEX key itself as I
    previously advised. Since there is no info available on what exactly
    you are connecting TO and it is a closed IT system, that is the only
    advice I can give you for a WEP secured network.

    Barb Bowman, Feb 14, 2008
  16. Then I shall press them again next week. The problem is that it is one of
    these outsourced IT set ups and everything is done by phone to someone miles
    away with a funny accent. I will post back any further developments.

    Keith Willcocks, Feb 14, 2008