Vista laptop can't see network devices

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RipperT, Sep 24, 2008.

  1. RipperT

    RipperT Guest

    I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
    wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected to
    my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other machines
    on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are disabled,
    "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network Discovery setting
    says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On". Options are "Turn
    network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery off". Neither is
    selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn network discovery on" and
    click apply and it returns to the same configuration. More research shows
    someone with the same trouble resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and
    UPnP services. In Services, I see that both are already started and one
    depends on the other, but the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure
    I'll change it to "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to
    turn on Network Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get
    myriad error messages including "access denied" and "the specified value
    does not exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this
    laptop can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is
    not "on". Please help!

    Ripper

    RipperT, Sep 24, 2008

  2. It could be a 3rd party software. The following search result may help.
    Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help too.
    Vista issues
    network discovery is turned off ยท Networking Issue between Vista and
    XP because of security software "No network provider accepted the network
    path" may ...
    www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Sep 24, 2008

  3. Hi
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html#good-signal
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 24, 2008
  4. RipperT

    RipperT Guest

    This turns out to be simply changing the location type from public to
    private, which was one of the first things I did to fix the problem. I'm
    baffled. Oh, well, working now.

    Thanks to those who responded.

    Rip

    RipperT, Sep 24, 2008