    the Vista notebook keeps losing the encryption key and thus loses wireless
    connection. If I re-enter the key, the wireless connection works but some
    time later, the same problem happens again. What is going on? Thanks.

    KlausK, Feb 1, 2008

  2. KlausK

    Barb Bowman Guest

    First, WEP is not safe. You should use WPA2 or at least WPA. For XP,
    see http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=893357

    You may need a firmware upgrade for your Linksys router. What model,
    hardware version and firmware are you using?

    without seeing the text output of ipconfig /all (see
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/
    ) it is hard to diagnose.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 1, 2008

  3. KlausK

    Pavel A. Guest

    "KlausK" <> wrote in message news:47a2b1bf$0$25053$...
    >I have a Linksys wireless n router and have 2 notebooks (XP) and one notebook (vista), all of which use wireless connections to
    >the router. I use 128 bit WEP encryption and the 2 XP notebooks have ZERO problem. However, the Vista notebook keeps losing the
    >encryption key and thus loses wireless connection. If I re-enter the key, the wireless connection works but some time later,
    >the same problem happens again. What is going on? Thanks.

    Vista has a number of wireless issues.
    For some, fixes or workarounds are available on the MS site.
    If you wish to try the SP1 preview, it is available too, and should include all fixes known up to the date (but possibly, new
    bugs as well....).

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Feb 1, 2008
  4. KlausK

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Pavel A." <> wrote in message news:%...
    > Vista has a number of wireless issues.
    > For some, fixes or workarounds are available on the MS site.
    > If you wish to try the SP1 preview, it is available too, and should include all fixes known up to the date (but possibly, new
    > bugs as well....).

    Here is list of some known symptoms
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=932063

    --PA

    Pavel A., Feb 1, 2008
  5. KlausK

    Barb Bowman Guest

    that KB is more applicable in an Enterprise environment, though and
    the OP seems to be in the residential space.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 1, 2008
  6. Hi
    As mentioned before, you have to try to avoid using WEP.
    Wireless hardware is so inexpensive that there is No reason to use old
    devices that can not be secured adequately (WEP only devices are very old in
    computer time terms).
    In any case some times using the actual HEX string instead of the pass
    phrase can alleviate WEP problems.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 1, 2008