    Is it worth re-installing Vista or does this sound like a physical
    memory problem?
    , Apr 23, 2009

  2. Bigguy Guest

    wrote:
    > Seems to be almost at random but within a few minutes of boot up. BSOD
    > error message is usually a memory error?
    >
    > Is it worth re-installing Vista or does this sound like a physical
    > memory problem?

    It sounds very much like faulty memory.

    Guy
    Bigguy, Apr 23, 2009

  3. Hello,

    Well you almost nailed it - memory faulty. To verify, you will need to
    either do a memory test using something like MemTest86+.

    The other way is to open up your PC and remove one memory chip (assuming you
    have 2 chips), if the problem persists, switch to using the other chip on
    its own to narrow down the faulty chip.

    ___________
    http://www.tompangbuddy.com
    Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
    Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes to
    VCD/DVD

    TompangBuddy.Com, Apr 23, 2009
  4. Peter Foldes Guest

    What it sounds like is nothing if you do not post the exact Stop (BSOD) error that
    it is showing. With knowing it we can usually pinpoint the issue or fix

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 23, 2009
  5. <> wrote in message
    > Seems to be almost at random but within a few minutes of boot up. BSOD
    > error message is usually a memory error?
    >
    > Is it worth re-installing Vista or does this sound like a physical
    > memory problem?

    No, re-installing will not help one iota.. Use this to test memory..

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
    Mike Hall - MVP, Apr 23, 2009
  6. I would be inclined to use a diagnostic application such as MemTest86
    (http://www.memtest86.com) Get someone to download the free ISO version and
    burn it to a CD. Start your PC, quickly insert the CD and get it to test the
    memory.

    John Barnett MVP
    Windows XP Associate Expert
    Windows Desktop Experience

    Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
    Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
    Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

    mail/post..

    John Barnett MVP, Apr 23, 2009
  7. In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, John Barnett MVP wrote:

    > Start your PC, quickly insert the CD and ...

    You must have awfully fast fingers, Sir.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2009
  8. R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Bertie.

    "Random" BSODs are almost always hardware errors - but not always memory
    problems. There are MANY other types of hardware errors, all the way from
    dust bunny buildup to excess heat to RF interference - and many more.

    Since your problem occurs "within a few minutes of boot up", it's not likely
    to be from heat. Does your computer boot all the way to the desktop? Or
    does the BSOD happen before Vista is fully loaded? Does it happen when one
    of your startup applications is loading? Or is it after everything seems to
    be working - and then BSOD after a few minutes of Vista actually running,
    when a particular memory location might be accessed for the first time?

    Have you had your computer case open recently? Cable problems can pop up at
    any time, but especially after hardware changes. Ditto with graphics cards
    or other boards not fully seated into their slots on the motherboard.

    Obviously - and unfortunately - we are all just shooting in the dark. All
    we know about your computer is what you've told us - which isn't much. We
    don't know make and model or if you built it yourself. We don't even know
    if it is a desktop or laptop. We don't know if you have 1 stick of memory
    or 4 or some other number.

    Please tell us more about your computer so that we have a better chance to
    help you. Wouldn't hurt to mention your exact Vista version, too.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

    R. C. White, Apr 23, 2009
  9. I do :)

    John Barnett MVP, Apr 23, 2009
  10. Peter Foldes Guest

    R.C.

    Perfectly correct. That is why I asked the OP at the beginning of this thread for
    the BSOD message which he still has not complied with posting it

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 23, 2009
  11. Hans Guest

    You don't give any information about your system. Did your system worked
    before.
    Reset your bios to default. No overclocking!
    Do you have the last bios update?

    <> schreef in bericht

    Hans, Apr 23, 2009
  12. "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:10:43 -0400, "Mike Hall - MVP"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >><> wrote in message
    >>> Seems to be almost at random but within a few minutes of boot up. BSOD
    >>> error message is usually a memory error?
    >>>
    >>> Is it worth re-installing Vista or does this sound like a physical
    >>> memory problem?
    >>>

    >>No, re-installing will not help one iota.. Use this to test memory..
    >>
    >>http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    > You should have mentioned that to perform this test he needs a working
    > computer with CD drive.
    > Otherwise, attempting to do so on the same machine is like totally
    > futile and useless.

    The instructions are for a floppy OR a CD..

    Mike Hall - MVP, Apr 23, 2009
  13. On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:25:34 -0400, richard wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:01:41 -0500, philo <> wrote:
    >
    >>TompangBuddy.Com wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Well you almost nailed it - memory faulty. To verify, you will need to
    >>> either do a memory test using something like MemTest86+.
    >>>
    >>> The other way is to open up your PC and remove one memory chip (assuming you
    >>> have 2 chips), if the problem persists, switch to using the other chip on
    >>> its own to narrow down the faulty chip.
    >>>

    >>Yes I agree that it very well might be a RAM problem
    >>
    >>Vista does have a built in memory diagnostic utiltiy
    >>so you do not even have to get memtest

    > So how does one go about testing memory on a computer who's OS won't
    > even fully boot?

    On another computer you download one of the free memory tester ISO files &
    burn it to a CD. Then you boot the problem computer from the CD.

    memtest86 and DrMem are two names that I remember (or possibly
    misremember).

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 23, 2009
  14. On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:56:07 +0100, John Barnett MVP wrote:

    > I do :)
    >
    > --

    But slowpokes like me and Shagnasty can still do it - just open the drive
    while you can. Insert the CD, close the drive, & restart; use the power
    switch if you can't restart otherwise.

    Unanswered question: what happens with slot-loading drives?

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 23, 2009