Vista is out to get your files / Another Vista stuff up / Microsoft Paranoia

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Greetings all.

    Just finished loading about 3.5 GB of files onto a 4 GB USB memory stick
    before heading off to a job tomorrow.
    Unplugged it in the normal way then decided I'd add something else and
    plugged it back in.

    Vista immediately pops up the following message:

    <quote>
    The device you just connected is nearly full. The files may be from the
    device manufacturer or they may have been added from another computer.
    Do you want to remove the existing files to make room to sync with the
    Windows Media Player library on this computer?
    0 No, leave the existing files on the device and sync to the remaining
    available space (you can delete the files later)
    * Yes, delete all digital media files from the device before sync.
    </quote>
    The selected option is "Yes" and the "Next" button is highlighted at the
    bottom of the window.

    There are no 'media' files on the USB stick (.avi, .mov, .wmv, .wma, .mp3
    etc) just .exe, .htm, and a few jpg 's.

    * What the heck has Media Player got to do with what files are on a USB
    stick anyway
    * Why is the default option set to 'delete'. The default should be set to
    'not' delete without express action by the user
    * Why is the Enter Key button default set to 'Next' ? in a similar vein to
    the yes/no option the default button should be 'Cancel' not 'Next'

    ..Holly smoke Batman what cretin thought up those defaults, more to the point
    why should the window pop up at all.
    I know the dam USB stick was nearly full, but that is 'my' problem not Media
    Players.
    Is there a hidden drm function to delete any files on plug in media on the
    basis that one is 'likely' to be loading (shudder) 'Pirated' media ?

    Oh I know, there is a copy of Portable apps on that USB stick!

    Come on MS, wake up and smell the coffee, you are displaying your paranoia
    again.
    Just do us all a favour start stipping out all the performance sapping
    paranoiaware and stop treating us like Criminals.

    Comments anyone.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 19, 2007

  2. PeeCee

    Another Guest

    Another, Dec 19, 2007

  3. PeeCee

    elaich Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in news:fkb3cq$7ot$:

    > Comments anyone.

    Run XP.

    elaich, Dec 19, 2007
  4. PeeCee

    thanatoid Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in

    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Just finished loading about 3.5 GB of files onto a 4 GB USB
    > memory stick before heading off to a job tomorrow.
    > Unplugged it in the normal way then decided I'd add
    > something else and plugged it back in.
    >
    > Vista immediately pops up the following message:
    >
    > <quote>
    > The device you just connected is nearly full. The files may
    > be from the device manufacturer or they may have been added
    > from another computer. Do you want to remove the existing
    > files to make room to sync with the Windows Media Player
    > library on this computer? 0 No, leave the existing files on
    > the device and sync to the remaining available space (you
    > can delete the files later) * Yes, delete all digital media
    > files from the device before sync. </quote>
    > The selected option is "Yes" and the "Next" button is
    > highlighted at the bottom of the window.
    >
    > There are no 'media' files on the USB stick (.avi, .mov,
    > .wmv, .wma, .mp3 etc) just .exe, .htm, and a few jpg 's.
    >
    > * What the heck has Media Player got to do with what files
    > are on a USB stick anyway
    > * Why is the default option set to 'delete'. The default
    > should be set to 'not' delete without express action by the
    > user * Why is the Enter Key button default set to 'Next' ?
    > in a similar vein to the yes/no option the default button
    > should be 'Cancel' not 'Next'
    >
    > .Holly smoke Batman what cretin thought up those defaults,
    > more to the point why should the window pop up at all.
    > I know the dam USB stick was nearly full, but that is 'my'
    > problem not Media Players.
    > Is there a hidden drm function to delete any files on plug
    > in media on the basis that one is 'likely' to be loading
    > (shudder) 'Pirated' media ?
    >
    > Oh I know, there is a copy of Portable apps on that USB
    > stick!
    >
    > Come on MS, wake up and smell the coffee, you are
    > displaying your paranoia again.
    > Just do us all a favour start stipping out all the
    > performance sapping paranoiaware and stop treating us like
    > Criminals.
    >
    > Comments anyone.
    >
    > Paul.

    Upgrade to Win 98SE.

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.

    thanatoid, Dec 19, 2007
  5. PeeCee

    ellis_jay Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> Just finished loading about 3.5 GB of files onto a 4 GB USB
    >> memory stick before heading off to a job tomorrow.
    >> Unplugged it in the normal way then decided I'd add
    >> something else and plugged it back in.
    >>
    >> Vista immediately pops up the following message:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> The device you just connected is nearly full. The files may
    >> be from the device manufacturer or they may have been added
    >> from another computer. Do you want to remove the existing
    >> files to make room to sync with the Windows Media Player
    >> library on this computer? 0 No, leave the existing files on
    >> the device and sync to the remaining available space (you
    >> can delete the files later) * Yes, delete all digital media
    >> files from the device before sync. </quote>
    >> The selected option is "Yes" and the "Next" button is
    >> highlighted at the bottom of the window.
    >>
    >> There are no 'media' files on the USB stick (.avi, .mov,
    >> .wmv, .wma, .mp3 etc) just .exe, .htm, and a few jpg 's.
    >>
    >> * What the heck has Media Player got to do with what files
    >> are on a USB stick anyway
    >> * Why is the default option set to 'delete'. The default
    >> should be set to 'not' delete without express action by the
    >> user * Why is the Enter Key button default set to 'Next' ?
    >> in a similar vein to the yes/no option the default button
    >> should be 'Cancel' not 'Next'
    >>
    >> .Holly smoke Batman what cretin thought up those defaults,
    >> more to the point why should the window pop up at all.
    >> I know the dam USB stick was nearly full, but that is 'my'
    >> problem not Media Players.
    >> Is there a hidden drm function to delete any files on plug
    >> in media on the basis that one is 'likely' to be loading
    >> (shudder) 'Pirated' media ?
    >>
    >> Oh I know, there is a copy of Portable apps on that USB
    >> stick!
    >>
    >> Come on MS, wake up and smell the coffee, you are
    >> displaying your paranoia again.
    >> Just do us all a favour start stipping out all the
    >> performance sapping paranoiaware and stop treating us like
    >> Criminals.
    >>
    >> Comments anyone.
    >>
    >> Paul.

    > Upgrade to Win 98SE.

    lol

    --
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
    government. ___Edward Abbey

    ellis_jay, Dec 19, 2007
  6. PeeCee

    Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >Greetings all.
    >
    >Just finished loading about 3.5 GB of files onto a 4 GB USB memory stick
    >before heading off to a job tomorrow.
    >Unplugged it in the normal way then decided I'd add something else and
    >plugged it back in.
    >
    >Vista immediately pops up the following message:
    >
    ><quote>
    >The device you just connected is nearly full. The files may be from the
    >device manufacturer or they may have been added from another computer.
    >Do you want to remove the existing files to make room to sync with the
    >Windows Media Player library on this computer?
    >0 No, leave the existing files on the device and sync to the remaining
    >available space (you can delete the files later)
    >* Yes, delete all digital media files from the device before sync.
    ></quote>
    >The selected option is "Yes" and the "Next" button is highlighted at the
    >bottom of the window.
    >
    >There are no 'media' files on the USB stick (.avi, .mov, .wmv, .wma, .mp3
    >etc) just .exe, .htm, and a few jpg 's.
    >
    >* What the heck has Media Player got to do with what files are on a USB
    >stick anyway
    >* Why is the default option set to 'delete'. The default should be set to
    >'not' delete without express action by the user
    >* Why is the Enter Key button default set to 'Next' ? in a similar vein to
    >the yes/no option the default button should be 'Cancel' not 'Next'
    >
    >.Holly smoke Batman what cretin thought up those defaults, more to the point
    >why should the window pop up at all.
    >I know the dam USB stick was nearly full, but that is 'my' problem not Media
    >Players.
    >Is there a hidden drm function to delete any files on plug in media on the
    >basis that one is 'likely' to be loading (shudder) 'Pirated' media ?
    >
    >Oh I know, there is a copy of Portable apps on that USB stick!
    >
    >Come on MS, wake up and smell the coffee, you are displaying your paranoia
    >again.
    >Just do us all a favour start stipping out all the performance sapping
    >paranoiaware and stop treating us like Criminals.
    >
    >Comments anyone.

    Following the DRM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure
    and linking to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

    Appears from what I read, there is a setting in WMP to toggle this
    action.
    --

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaline/332137958/in/photostream/

    , Dec 20, 2007
  7. PeeCee

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > Comments anyone.

    Comon man, if you want help with Vista, then you are posting to the wrong
    NG. You should be posting to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or
    Setup_Install at msnews.microsoft.com, which is MS Communities that has been
    established for you with Vista's Windows Mail.

    They can't help you here, other than, what you're getting, which is
    *nothing* -- *no help*. Hell, they can't even point you in the right
    direction. <g>

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 20, 2007
  8. PeeCee

    Guest

    Re: Vista is out to get your files / Another Vista stuff up /Microsoft Paranoia

    On Dec 20, 3:05 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > > Comments anyone.

    > Comon man, if you want help with Vista, then you are posting to the wrong
    > NG. You should be posting to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or
    > Setup_Install at msnews.microsoft.com, which is MS Communities that has been
    > established for you with Vista's Windows Mail.
    >
    > They can't help you here, other than, what you're getting, which is
    > *nothing* -- *no help*.   Hell, they can't even point you in the right
    > direction.  <g>

    Sounds like typical microcrap. They missed to open source on servers,
    they missed the google revolution, they were behind apple on ipod.
    I've heard the Mac Vista works better, which sounds very believable.
    Eventually, they will go the way of Woolworth's and Montgomery Wards.-
    Jitney

    , Dec 21, 2007
  9. PeeCee

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Dec 20, 3:05 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > > Comments anyone.

    > Comon man, if you want help with Vista, then you are posting to the wrong
    > NG. You should be posting to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or
    > Setup_Install at msnews.microsoft.com, which is MS Communities that has
    > been
    > established for you with Vista's Windows Mail.
    >
    > They can't help you here, other than, what you're getting, which is
    > *nothing* -- *no help*. Hell, they can't even point you in the right
    > direction. <g>

    Sounds like typical microcrap. They missed to open source on servers,
    they missed the google revolution, they were behind apple on ipod.
    I've heard the Mac Vista works better, which sounds very believable.
    Eventually, they will go the way of Woolworth's and Montgomery Wards.-

    --------------------

    Well, don't complain to me about it. I am not Microsoft. Yeah, and you can
    believe that pipe dream about MS wouldn't be around. They said the same
    thing about IBM mainframe technology back in the late 80's and early 90's.
    It's still around. It has not gone anywhere, and it will not be going
    anywhere any time soon, not in your life time.

    And in the meantime, MS continues to walk Linux and Apache down in the Web
    server market, which has been going on for several months.

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/11/23/november_2007_web_server_survey.html

    The walk down is due to Win 2k3 server, IIS 6 and .Net.

    Technology really as not changed that much in over 35 years, and until
    technology changes drastically enough that a new player comes out of it to
    knock MS out of the box, then MS is not going anywhere. It's good that there
    is competition to drive down cost for the consumer. But it's the same old
    status quo between the players. And if you think MS won't be around, you are
    just kidding yourself, and you need a reality check some kind of a way.

    MS is going to be around and will still be the dominate player in your life
    time. When and if MS does fall, you'll be dust in your grave when it
    happens, and you will not care anyway.

    There is nothing you can do about it from your little prospective on
    hings -- nothing, other than, what you're doing, which is trash talking in
    a NG. :)

    Life is too short to be worrying about something like this that you have no
    control over it. :)

    ..

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 21, 2007
  10. Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > And in the meantime, MS continues to walk Linux and Apache down in the
    > Web server market, which has been going on for several months.
    >
    > <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/11/23/november_2007_web_server_survey.html>
    >
    > The walk down is due to Win 2k3 server, IIS 6 and .Net.

    The only statistic shown on that page with a Microsoft advantage is the
    number of *domains/sites* on some Windows servers, where it mentions an
    increasing number of blogging sites on some Windows-using servers. But
    it also says:

    "This /reverses/ the trend in web server market share seen in recent
    months. Apache has seen its share seriously eroded by the blog providers
    (MySpace and Live Spaces use rival Microsoft IIS) during this year, but
    this month its [Apache's] share increases by 1%, taking it back to over
    50% market share."

    and: "Apache also regains some ground here, rising to 47% market share
    and moving back to around a 10% lead over IIS."

    ...thus disproving your statement, I suppose. ;-)

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2007
  11. PeeCee

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> And in the meantime, MS continues to walk Linux and Apache down in the
    >> Web server market, which has been going on for several months.
    >>
    >> <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/11/23/november_2007_web_server_survey.html>
    >>
    >> The walk down is due to Win 2k3 server, IIS 6 and .Net.

    > The only statistic shown on that page with a Microsoft advantage is the
    > number of *domains/sites* on some Windows servers, where it mentions an
    > increasing number of blogging sites on some Windows-using servers. But
    > it also says:

    Hell, Linux had well over 50% at the first of the year.

    > "This /reverses/ the trend in web server market share seen in recent
    > months. Apache has seen its share seriously eroded by the blog providers
    > (MySpace and Live Spaces use rival Microsoft IIS) during this year, but
    > this month its [Apache's] share increases by 1%, taking it back to over
    > 50% market share."

    Web servers are just one aspect of the total picture. Linux will continue to
    loose in this area, unless Java comes up with something that can match .NET,
    on the Web server and non Web server platforms, including the workstations.

    > and: "Apache also regains some ground here, rising to 47% market share
    > and moving back to around a 10% lead over IIS."

    Linux had much bigger lead and it's loosing it. There is nothing on the
    Linux platform that can touch .Net -- nothing.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 21, 2007
  12. Mr. Arnold wrote:
    > Linux had much bigger lead and it's loosing it. There is nothing on
    > the Linux platform that can touch .Net -- nothing.

    ...and maybe that's a good thing. It might mean there are still some web
    sites out there for non-Internet Explorer users. <g>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2007
  13. PeeCee

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >> Linux had much bigger lead and it's loosing it. There is nothing on
    >> the Linux platform that can touch .Net -- nothing.

    > ..and maybe that's a good thing. It might mean there are still some web
    > sites out there for non-Internet Explorer users. <g>

    You just told me that you don't have a *clue* about .NET, so don't even go
    there. That was a dumb home user comment from you.

    And I'll bet dollars to a donut, the Linux is not putting one penny in your
    pockets. Maybe, it's no Information Technology that's putting any money in
    your pockets. All you're pulling out of your pockets is lent, and you're
    putting your lent in your wallet. ;-)

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 21, 2007
  14. Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >>> Linux had much bigger lead and it's loosing it. There is nothing on
    >>> the Linux platform that can touch .Net -- nothing.

    >> ..and maybe that's a good thing. It might mean there are still some web
    >> sites out there for non-Internet Explorer users. <g>

    > You just told me that you don't have a *clue* about .NET, so don't
    > even go there. That was a dumb home user comment from you.

    Sorry, you didn't realize I used .NET prior to my retirement a little
    while ago. Yes, I have *clue*. Since I am now retired, I guess I am just
    a 'dumb home user' now, albeit a well-informed one.

    > And I'll bet dollars to a donut, the Linux is not putting one penny in your
    > pockets. Maybe, it's no Information Technology that's putting any money in
    > your pockets. All you're pulling out of your pockets is lent, and you're
    > putting your lent in your wallet. ;-)

    No, I'm retired, remember? Oh, from Information Technology, too. My
    prime field was database work, though my company did just about anything
    a client would ask for. One of my last major projects was a large
    application that managed the distribution of drug samples to millions of
    doctors for one of the USA's largest drug companies.

    Lent isn't for another few months.

    Hey, another thing. I didn't barge in here and spout "Linux is better!";
    I simply pointed out that your statements and the cited reference were
    not in agreement. That's all.

    --
    -bts
    -There's no lent in my navel, either

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2007
  15. PeeCee

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > Mr. Arnold wrote:

    >>> ..and maybe that's a good thing. It might mean there are still some web
    >>> sites out there for non-Internet Explorer users. <g>

    >> You just told me that you don't have a *clue* about .NET, so don't
    >> even go there. That was a dumb home user comment from you.

    > Sorry, you didn't realize I used .NET prior to my retirement a little
    > while ago. Yes, I have *clue*. Since I am now retired, I guess I am just
    > a 'dumb home user' now, albeit a well-informed one.

    Oh, you played with it did you? And you still don't have *clue*. I had
    someone try to tell me about .Net in a MS NG, who was a jack of all trades,
    all platforms supposedly and still in the industry, a young punk in a Pamper
    and wet behind the ears. He played with .Net too. I'll tell you like I told
    him. You have not been in the trenches, in the foxhole nor on the firing
    line with technology, like I am doing or have been in it. After I sliced,
    diced and cut him up on .Net, he knew he really didn't know anything about
    the technology.

    >> And I'll bet dollars to a donut, the Linux is not putting one penny in
    >> your
    >> pockets. Maybe, it's no Information Technology that's putting any money
    >> in
    >> your pockets. All you're pulling out of your pockets is lent, and you're
    >> putting your lent in your wallet. ;-)

    > No, I'm retired, remember? Oh, from Information Technology, too. My
    > prime field was database work, though my company did just about anything
    > a client would ask for. One of my last major projects was a large
    > application that managed the distribution of drug samples to millions of
    > doctors for one of the USA's largest drug companies.

    What, am suppose to know that? I really have not read any posts of yours,
    unless you're posting to me. I don't recall having some converstaion about
    your retirement.

    And about your last big project, what platform was it on? Do we need to go
    there? I'll assume you knew what side the bread was butter on.

    > Lent isn't for another few months.

    But nevertheless, it's coming, and you had better get ready. And when that
    time does come for me, I am still going to be in the hunt, going strong, and
    making that money.

    > Hey, another thing. I didn't barge in here and spout "Linux is better!";
    > I simply pointed out that your statements and the cited reference were
    > not in agreement. That's all.

    So, Linux stopped the fall and bleeding a little bit for a month. Let's see
    what happens on the December report. Linux dominance on the Web server
    platform is slipping, and it's slipping fast.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 21, 2007