    RAM: DDR2 512

    I am running Windows XP Pro right now. When I click on setup on the DVD it
    said it wasn't a valid WIN32 application...

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=, Jun 12, 2006

  2. If you are trying to install Vista x64, simply boot the computer with the
    dvd.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2006

  3. I tried booting with the DVD but it goes nowhere after the second screen

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=, Jun 12, 2006
  4. What kind of hard drive are you installing to?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2006
  5. I have a Seagate 300 gig Ultra ATA/100 7200 rpm 16 MB Cache

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=, Jun 12, 2006
  6. Disconnect all the peripherals that you can. You can set them up later.
    Are you getting any error messages? Are you sure you only have 512MB of
    ram? 1GB is recommended.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2006
  7. You either have to partition the hard drive or do a fresh install unless
    you're running xp pro 64

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29keQ==?=, Jun 12, 2006
  8. After booting I can see the screen that says Windows is installing files (the
    first screen), The a screen with the progress meter comes up (Second screen),
    then it stays there. I just built this computer (yesterday)! Really no
    peripherals except for Lexmark x1185 printer, DSL modem, and EVGA E7600
    video card. That is it!

    I am wondering if the DVD burn was bad or something. I have a Memorex 16x
    dual layer burner. I burned it to a DVD-R 4.7 gig disk

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=, Jun 12, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=

    Guest

    I having issue with installing 32bit Vista on 300 gig Maxtor drive,
    clean or upgrade. I'm thinking a problem with large drives. It's an ATA
    drive not SATA.

    , Jun 12, 2006
  10. Better run a memory test.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2006
  11. Since this is a completely new system, I would suggest that you install
    something that you are really comfortable with first, it will be invaluable
    to you if you have a level of familiarity with your system that you can fix
    the 'odd' problem on your own.

    Do note that this is not critisizing you asking questions, you are welcome
    like everyone else - but installing a Beta OS on a fresh system will in many
    instances leave you clueless, as will it the rest of us. Solving problems
    relies on good solid information that you often only absorb after a while
    and in a known and well defined environment.

    You will be doing yourself a big service, by having that system up and
    running for a time, and only then start off any experiments, in the
    mean-time you'll also have the benefit of having others collect the brunt of
    the failure reports for you.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 12, 2006
  12. It installs just fine on large drives. However, that being said, it NEEDs to
    be a large drive on a supported controller, and you need to have a partition
    available with sufficient space on it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=

    warpsix Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > If you are trying to install Vista x64, simply boot the computer with the
    > dvd.

    if you do that and have x64 installed you will have a nightmare trying
    to get back into x64
    best way to install (for me) is to install while in xp x64
    and go for custom and that way you can keep vista from being drive c (if
    wanted) although it is a faster install booting from dvd and doing a
    clean install (took me 55 minutes) vs installing while running windows
    (took 1 1/2 hours)

    warpsix, Jun 12, 2006
  14. I didn't.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2006