    2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Feb 12, 2006

  2. T'was the Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:24:24 +1300 when I remembered Dibley
    Fanshaw <> saying something like this:

    >School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    >Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    >platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >
    >Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    >2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    Probably not, but more of a sign that interface design isn't going to
    change dramatically (not withstanding things like Project Looking
    Glass from Sun) over the next 10 years or so. In terms of just
    Windows, we've had the task bar and the start button since Windows 95,
    and we're still using the task bar and the icons/windows thing.

    I can't imagine the type of processing power that will be available to
    people in 2018. I was reading that Intel and AMD are getting ready to
    release Quad-core CPUs in 2007. Me thinks time for an upgrade next
    year.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Dibley Fanshaw

    shannon Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:24:24 +1300, Dibley Fanshaw wrote:

    > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >
    > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    No, it means that Macs didn't live up to their hype.
    They are just another computer, but with a history of large and disruptive
    hardware upgrades.

    Schools are real world users that have to consider real world economics.
    They buy computers now just like they buy contract furniture.

    shannon, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Dibley Fanshaw

    thing2 Guest

    Dibley Fanshaw wrote:
    > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >
    > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    Not sure where you get this "often dump macs" from, my local school has
    had and is continuing to keep Macs as the primary school technology.
    This is not the only one I know of.

    My children use macs, wintel and lintel at home (macs at school), they
    really dont seem to care what the OS is as long as they get access to
    the program/game they want. So I wonder if this OS bigitory/preference
    will not be/is totally irrelevent to the next generation....

    The local Uni operates Macs, it would seem that it is the ITS Dept
    (which is Windows dominated) that wants to get rid of them, but
    fortunately there is a die hard mac following of very senior staff who
    say no.

    I see this as good not least as the wintel desktops are far more trouble
    than the Mac ones (but the Macs lack the tools and dont operate well
    with the MS / Linux backend servers).

    While Macs might make good desktops their performance is dubious as file
    and print servers and their interoperability in a decent sized network
    is problematical.

    As long as Apple fail to deal with these two problems adequately,
    replacing Macs with Win/lintel is going to be an issue though.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Dibley Fanshaw

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >
    > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
    switched. How stupid can you be?

    Rob J, Feb 13, 2006
  6. Dibley Fanshaw

    Bret Guest

    <> wrote:

    >School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    >Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    >platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >
    >Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    >2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    LOL

    Bret, Feb 13, 2006
  7. Dibley Fanshaw

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:54:52 +1300, Rob J
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    >> Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    >> platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >>
    >> Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    >> 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    >Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
    >switched. How stupid can you be?

    Well he got you didn't he :)

    Bret, Feb 13, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    Rob J <> wrote:

    > > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    > > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    > > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    > >
    > > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    > > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    > Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
    > switched. How stupid can you be?

    But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.

    It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
    extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
    PowerPCs.

    What were Windows doing?

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Feb 13, 2006
  9. Dibley Fanshaw

    shannon Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:16:27 +1300, Dibley Fanshaw wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    >> > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    >> > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    >> > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >> >
    >> > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    >> > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    >> Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
    >> switched. How stupid can you be?

    > But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.
    >
    > It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
    > extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
    > PowerPCs.
    >
    > What were Windows doing?

    Goodness knows, but despite the Macs headstart, they seem to have the same
    sort of abysmal market share now that they always did.
    12 years of talking the talk has resulted in Macs only being available at
    maybe one dealer shop in each major city, no good support infrastructure,
    working methods that involve carrying around firewire drives rather than
    good networking and a snobby user base of cardy clad enthusiasts that
    spend all their time sniping at Windows rather than just getting on and
    doing whatever they do with their latte quaffing designer toys.

    shannon, Feb 13, 2006
  10. Dibley Fanshaw

    Peter Guest

    Dibley Fanshaw wrote:

    > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >
    > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    A big trouble is that the Education Ministry has entered into (AFAIK) a lump
    sum licencing agreement to provide software for state and intergrated
    schools, so there is no incremental software costs for schools when buying
    or upgrading to more computers using MS software.

    Peter, Feb 13, 2006
  11. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Dibley Fanshaw wrote:
    >
    >> School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    >> Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    >> platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    >>
    >> Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    >> 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?
    >>

    > A big trouble is that the Education Ministry has entered into (AFAIK) a
    > lump
    > sum licencing agreement to provide software for state and intergrated
    > schools, so there is no incremental software costs for schools when buying
    > or upgrading to more computers using MS software.

    FWIW, the agreement you're referring to is the Schools Agreement originally
    signed in 2002 and re-signed in 2004:

    http://www.microsoft.com/nz/presscentre/articles/2004/apr_21_school.mspx

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Feb 13, 2006
  12. In article <>,
    shannon <> wrote:

    > >> Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
    > >> switched. How stupid can you be?

    > > But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.
    > >
    > > It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
    > > extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
    > > PowerPCs.
    > >
    > > What were Windows doing?

    > Goodness knows, but despite the Macs headstart, they seem to have the same
    > sort of abysmal market share now that they always did.

    Depends on the market. Around 7% overall (including the legions of
    totally nailed down corporate boxes), but over 50% in sciences,
    particularly the biologicals and higher still in music, film and
    graphics.

    > 12 years of talking the talk has resulted in Macs only being available at
    > maybe one dealer shop in each major city,

    Check your phone directory. ChCh has at least 4 chains and access to
    excellent on-line suppliers.

    > no good support infrastructure,

    Actually wrong, but of course they need a lot less support anyway.
    That's one of their strongest selling features.

    > working methods that involve carrying around firewire drives rather than
    > good networking

    Macs have always had built in networking since 1984 and built-in
    ethernet in all models since 1998. We don't even have to carry around a
    FW drive these days, a FW cable will do, for booting in Target Disk
    Mode.

    > and a snobby user base of cardy clad enthusiasts

    jeans and sweater seem to be more of a uniform. It's a minor historical
    fact that the Apple HQ in Cupertino was the first place where corporate
    workers were encouraged to turn up in casual clothes. You wouldn't
    believe how stifled we were prior to the 80's.

    > that
    > spend all their time sniping at Windows rather than just getting on and
    > doing whatever they do with their latte quaffing designer toys.

    Like, well, everything!

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Feb 14, 2006
  13. Dibley Fanshaw

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > > > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    > > > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    > > > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    > > >
    > > > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    > > > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

    > > Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
    > > switched. How stupid can you be?

    > But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.
    >
    > It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
    > extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
    > PowerPCs.
    >
    > What were Windows doing?

    Still 3.1 but 95 was just around the corner.

    Considering how many generations that is removed from Vista, your
    original post is crassly idiotic.

    Rob J, Feb 14, 2006
  14. Dibley Fanshaw

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Dibley Fanshaw wrote:
    >
    > > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
    > > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
    > > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
    > >
    > > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
    > > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?
    > >

    > A big trouble is that the Education Ministry has entered into (AFAIK) a lump
    > sum licencing agreement to provide software for state and intergrated
    > schools, so there is no incremental software costs for schools when buying
    > or upgrading to more computers using MS software.

    So far as I know the MS agreement essentially matches the existing Apple
    one.

    Rob J, Feb 14, 2006
  15. In article <>,
    Rob J <> wrote:

    > > But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.
    > >
    > > It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
    > > extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
    > > PowerPCs.
    > >
    > > What were Windows doing?

    > Still 3.1 but 95 was just around the corner.
    >
    > Considering how many generations that is removed from Vista, your
    > original post is crassly idiotic.

    Please explain...

    --
    Dibley