Vista : How to set default columns in Search Window

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sir To You, Dec 22, 2008.

  1. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    Whenever I use Windows desktop search on Vista 32bit, the default
    window columns are:

    Name
    Date Modified
    Type
    Folder
    Authors
    Tags

    But what I want is....
    Name
    Type
    Size
    Date Modified/Created
    Folder Path

    I changed all of the column settings to be how I liked. Then, I went
    into Tools/folder options/View and clicked 'apply to folders'. This
    works with the normal folder templates such as "pictures and videos",
    "Music", "Documents" etc...

    But, then if I search a different folder, I get the previous crappy
    detail columns, or it reverts to Icon view which is totally not what I
    want.

    Anyone know how to change the view mode (detail/icons etc) and default
    columns for the Vista Search window? This is pissing me off.
    Sir To You, Dec 22, 2008

  2. In message
    <>, Sir To
    You wrote:

    > Anyone know how to change the view mode (detail/icons etc) and default
    > columns for the Vista Search window?

    I may know nothing about Dimdows, but even I know how to use Google:
    <http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/140855-howto-customize-search-result-columns.html>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 22, 2008

  3. Sir To You

    impossible Guest

    "Sir To You" <> wrote in message
    > Whenever I use Windows desktop search on Vista 32bit, the default
    > window columns are:
    >
    > Name
    > Date Modified
    > Type
    > Folder
    > Authors
    > Tags
    >
    > But what I want is....
    > Name
    > Type
    > Size
    > Date Modified/Created
    > Folder Path
    >
    > I changed all of the column settings to be how I liked. Then, I went
    > into Tools/folder options/View and clicked 'apply to folders'. This
    > works with the normal folder templates such as "pictures and videos",
    > "Music", "Documents" etc...
    >
    > But, then if I search a different folder, I get the previous crappy
    > detail columns, or it reverts to Icon view which is totally not what I
    > want.
    >
    > Anyone know how to change the view mode (detail/icons etc) and default
    > columns for the Vista Search window? This is pissing me off.

    You're on the right track...but use the context-sensitive menu instead.
    After setting the search window columns the way you like, go Organize |
    Folder and Search Options | View... and then click "Apply to all folders".
    That should lock in all future search windows with your custom settings.
    impossible, Dec 23, 2008