    There's one more thing I don't understand: I can find a wireless connection I've already connected to in the list of wireless networks. It even displays the SSID I'd previously entered. But when I double-click that entry I'm requested to enter the pass phrase in again. Why? I already did that... - How can I have it just connect?

    Any help is quite appreciated.

    Axel Dahmen
    Axel Dahmen, Apr 7, 2008

  2. Axel Dahmen

    Barb Bowman Guest

    in Vista, right click the network icon in the task tray next to the
    clock, then Connect to a network.

    in network and sharing center, manage wireless networks, delete the
    network you are having trouble with, then set it up again and make
    sure it is set to start automatically. in manage wireless networks,
    move it to the top of the list.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Apr 8, 2008

  3. Axel Dahmen

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Thanks, Barb, for answering!

    Is it possible to have an icon set up *without* having it set to start automatically. I don't want my computer to connect to any network automatically without my explicit approval. I prefer to have an icon somewhere to connect manually. But I don't want to enter security data all over again.

    Your help is quite appreciated.

    Best regards,
    Axel Dahmen

    -------------

    Axel Dahmen, Apr 8, 2008
  4. Axel Dahmen

    Barb Bowman Guest

    nothing in Windows will do this. at least with icons. when you set
    up wireless networks in Vista, there is a check box for start
    automatically. if you don't check that, you should be able to
    connect from the list, but not from "icons"

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 23:21:47 +0200, "Axel Dahmen"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks, Barb, for answering!
    >
    >Is it possible to have an icon set up *without* having it set to start automatically. I don't want my computer to connect to any network automatically without my explicit approval. I prefer to have an icon somewhere to connect manually. But I don't want to enter security data all over again.
    >
    >Your help is quite appreciated.
    >
    >Best regards,
    >Axel Dahmen
    >

    >-------------
    >"Barb Bowman" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:...
    >> in Vista, right click the network icon in the task tray next to the
    >> clock, then Connect to a network.
    >>
    >> in network and sharing center, manage wireless networks, delete the
    >> network you are having trouble with, then set it up again and make
    >> sure it is set to start automatically. in manage wireless networks,
    >> move it to the top of the list.
    >>
    >> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 00:15:49 +0200, "Axel Dahmen"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>although Vista allows me to save a security enabled wireless connection I can't possibly find any place where to search for the corresponding icon to double-click in order to activate that particular connection.
    >>>
    >>>There's one more thing I don't understand: I can find a wireless connection I've already connected to in the list of wireless networks. It even displays the SSID I'd previously entered. But when I double-click that entry I'm requested to enter the pass phrase in again. Why? I already did that... - How can I have it just connect?
    >>>
    >>>Any help is quite appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Axel Dahmen

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Apr 8, 2008
  5. Axel Dahmen

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Yes, I can see the list. But it kind of "loses" secured connections.

    Imagine there is one, secured, connection "Unknown Network". SSID is hidden, WPA is enabled.

    Connecting to it once by double-clicking it, I enter the SSID and the WPA pass phrase. After connecting, when asked to save this connection, I save the connection, but deselect to automatically connect. Then I disconnect from that connection.

    Half an hour later I'll try to re-connect to this connection, so I open the "Connect To a Network..." dialog again. But all I see is "Unknown Network" again. I don't see the saved connection anywhere. So I have to re-enter the whole identification data again, which is quite annoying.

    Isn't there a way to have the connection stored *including* SSID and WPA pass-phrase, but *without* having it connection automatically? Where would I find such "saved" connection in order to just double-click it?

    Thanks again for enlightening me on this!

    Regards,
    Axel Dahmen

    ------------------

    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Axel Dahmen, Apr 9, 2008
  6. Axel Dahmen

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Axel Dahmen" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, I can see the list. But it kind of "loses" secured connections.
    >
    > Imagine there is one, secured, connection "Unknown Network". SSID is
    > hidden, WPA is enabled.
    >
    > Connecting to it once by double-clicking it, I enter the SSID and the WPA
    > pass phrase. After connecting, when asked to save this connection, I save
    > the connection, but deselect to automatically connect. Then I disconnect
    > from that connection.
    >
    > Half an hour later I'll try to re-connect to this connection, so I open
    > the "Connect To a Network..." dialog again. But all I see is "Unknown
    > Network" again. I don't see the saved connection anywhere. So I have to
    > re-enter the whole identification data again, which is quite annoying.
    >
    > Isn't there a way to have the connection stored *including* SSID and WPA
    > pass-phrase, but *without* having it connection automatically? Where would
    > I find such "saved" connection in order to just double-click it?
    >
    > Thanks again for enlightening me on this!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Axel Dahmen

    There is no ready GUI to do this in Vista, but this is possible with
    a bit of scripting or coding. The API allows enumeration and activattion of
    connection profiles.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 9, 2008
  7. Axel Dahmen

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Hiding the SSID really isn't a good security feature and can create
    connectivity issues as well. Did you change the SSID from the
    default from the factory? Even doing this, you will likely still
    have issues.

    My advice is to
    1. change to a different SSID and turn on broadcast
    2. delete the old SSID name from the list
    3. right click the network icon, then connect to a network in Vista
    4. make sure you do NOT check "start this network automatically"

    if you do the above, you will need to right click the network icon
    each time, and then the network will show and you can click to
    connect to it and it should have saved your credentials (I haven't
    tried this --)

    What is your concern about automatically connecting to your own
    network with a unique SSID?

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Apr 9, 2008