    of anything.

    Perhaps someone can drop me a few hints?

    John
    John, Feb 4, 2007

  2. John

    Cyrus® Guest

    Cyrus®, Feb 4, 2007

  3. John

    babaloo Guest

    Win Vista Ultimate contains software for creating network groups you will
    never use.
    In truth, before you consider ANY version of Vista make sure there are
    drivers for your peripherals. Otherwise you will be shocked by the lack of
    non-Microsoft vendor support for Vista.
    babaloo, Feb 4, 2007
  4. John

    babaloo Guest

    My two cents from running the Vista Beta which is the same as the final
    release code of Vista.
    It is time-by-your-wristwatch slower than XP for virtually everything, this
    on a fast dual core machine with two gbs ram and a high end PCIe videocard.
    The aero interface adds nothing, I repeat nothing, to everyday use of the
    OS. I doubt you will even notice it.
    As with every new OS there are arbitrary changes to the interface and the
    way you perform common tasks. Presumably Microsoft does this not because it
    is more efficient but to reinforce the feeling that you have a "new" OS.
    Vista "security" has already been cracked, but until Vista is in wider use
    there will not be the kind of wide scale attacks that XP experiences. Macs
    are not immune to these attacks, there are simply not enough Macs,
    especially in business environments, to make it worthwhile to attack them.
    Vista will nag you for approval for every background operation, such as
    updates to your virus scanner (and Vista is not fully compatible with
    exisitng antiviral programs so pony up for a new one) without clearly
    telling you what you are approving. This is Microsof't way of blaming your
    for security problems in the OS.
    Lastly, and most importantly, there are currently not enough drivers that
    are compatible with Vista for the vast majority of peripherals out there.
    Manufacturers like Epson are simply not supporting scanners and printers
    that are even one generation off and even some models that are current have
    no Vista drivers and no firm commitment for those drivers.
    Lastly, if you install Vista as an upgrade over your current XP installation
    it wipes out the XP installation--there is no going back.
    Caveat Emptor.
    babaloo, Feb 4, 2007
  5. John

    j1mb0jay Guest

    John wrote:
    > What does Windows Vista Ultimate do that Vista Home Basic can't do? Is
    > there anything that I am going to really need?
    >
    > I am still trying to think about what benefits XP Pro has offered me
    > over XP Home the last few years, and to be honest I can't really think
    > of anything.
    >
    > Perhaps someone can drop me a few hints?
    >
    > John

    If you didnt notice the different in PRO/HOME then you will never notice the
    difference in ULT/HOME.

    The biggest difference in my eyes was:
    No IIS in Home
    Lack of remote desktop in Home