    I had purchased Windows XP about a year and a half ago and when vista came
    out, I bought the Vista Home Premium upgrade from XP Home. I am woundering if
    it is possible to get 64-bit media for this version of vista.

    Nascarnick24, May 7, 2008

  2. Yes. There is a slip of paper in the retail box which directs you to:

    https://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

    Colin Barnhorst, May 7, 2008

  3. btw, there are not separate dvds for the versions of Vista. All retail x86
    dvds are the same as are all x64 dvds. The only thing that differentiates
    the editions are the product keys.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 8, 2008
  4. Nascarnick24

    Nascarnick24 Guest

    I went there and it keeps telling me that there is "No Offer Found". It must
    have something to do with that it is an upgrade version. Are you sure its
    available? Maybe its not possible because its not possible to upgrade from
    32bit XP to 64bit Vista. But I don't care about the upgrade feature. I just
    want to install 64bit vista.

    Nascarnick24, May 8, 2008
  5. I have ordered the 64bit dvd for Vista Home Premium on that website in the
    past with no issues (for two different product keys). Scroll down to the
    bottom of the page and use the Support Options Link.

    Are you entering the Vista upgrade edition product key?

    Colin Barnhorst, May 8, 2008
  6. btw, the word "upgrade" in this context refers to an upgrade license, not
    whether or not you can perform an upgrade of the software (in this case, as
    you observed, you can't). An XP Pro x86 license is a Windows license that
    is eligible for upgrade to any edition of Vista, x86 or x64. It has nothing
    to do with the installation method. You are entitled to install one copy of
    Vista and it can be either x86 or x64 so long as only one or the other is
    installed at a given time. The problem you are having on the website has
    nothing to do with the fact that you will have to do a clean install of
    Vista x64. As the owner of a retail copy of Vista you are entitled to order
    the x64 dvd.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 8, 2008
  7. Hi,
    I had the same thing occur, after many emails and phone calls to support
    they told me, because my Home Premium 64 was an OEM version I couldn't
    upgrade, but they could NOT tell me is why they shipped me the 32-bit
    version of Ultimate. I wound up returning the upgrade, and purchasing a
    fresh copy of the ultimate 64.
    Bill

    Bill McVicker, May 12, 2008
  8. MS does not ship an Ultimate dvd. All 32bit dvds are the same. (All 64bit
    dvds are also the same).

    The platform is determined by the dvd (32bit vs 64bit) but the edition is
    determined by the product key. The media itself serves all editions via a
    manifest file that matches the pk you enter to the manifest for that edition
    and installs the files from the dvd called for in the manifest. You can use
    the same dvd to install any edition of Vista.

    This is very different from XP where an XP Home cd was different from an XP
    Pro cd and Upgrade cds differed from Standard cds.

    With retail Vista one money gets you both platforms (x86 and x64) and you
    install the one of your choice, but with OEM you only get the one platform
    that is preinstalled (either x86 or x64) and have to buy the other
    separately if you want to switch. This is why OEM product keys are not
    accepted on the Alternate Media website.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 12, 2008