Vista exploitable, researcher says

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Feb 7, 2007

  2. Au79

    biglon Guest

    What OS is not exploitable ???
    biglon, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Feb 8, 2007
  4. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Feb 9, 2007
  5. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Feb 9, 2007
  6. Au79

    biglon Guest

    WOW must have got your degree at MIT to make such a statement
    biglon, Feb 9, 2007
  7. Au79

    biglon Guest

    PS. makes me wonder why Windows is run on 98% of computers !!!!
    biglon, Feb 9, 2007
  8. Au79

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:34:50 -0500, "biglon" <> wrote:

    >PS. makes me wonder why Windows is run on 98% of computers !!!!

    Well, that's easy enough to answer:

    Because some people are too stupid to think;
    Because some people are too lazy to learn;
    Because some people are too stupid to learn;
    Because some people are too lazy to think;
    Because it allows some people who shouldn't be within 15' of any computer
    anywhere to post a reply to usenet without quoting the original post;
    Because it allows some people who otherwise shouldn't be allowed within 15' of
    any computer anywhere to make ludicrous statements about "98% of computers" that
    compound the original foolishness;
    Because it allows some induhviduals to make complete fools out of themselves on
    usenet with only a couple of clicks and a few words typed with your tailbone;
    Because it covers both you and the poster you replied to;
    All of the above;
    All of the above.

    Next!

    --
    <siva> and you want to capitalize the first letter of every work?
    <siva> er, eword? <siva> CRAPO
    Mara, Feb 9, 2007
  9. Au79

    biglon Guest

    WOW Mara, 98% of computer owners are lazy, stupid, etc ?????
    Guess you fall in the 2% genius catagory !!~
    LOL
    biglon, Feb 9, 2007
  10. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    biglon wrote:

    > PS. makes me wonder why Windows is run on 98% of computers !!!!

    Pure MS Marketing. The Evil Empire in Redmond has spent millions of dollars
    lying to the general public about their crappy software; They have used
    unethical business practices to snuff out the competition.

    Follow the first link below and you'll find out why 90% of computer users
    have been duped.

    http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
    http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/
    Au79, Feb 9, 2007
  11. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Feb 9, 2007
  12. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Feb 9, 2007
  13. On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:21:28 -0800, Au79 wrote:

    > biglon wrote:
    >
    >> That was my original point. No OS is secure I said that in my first post
    >> ~~~

    > In relative terms from the two OS's, Linux and Windos, A windos machine
    > optimally patched and secured will never, ever, be as secure as a
    > moderately maintained Linux machine.

    We've been over this before, but windows users just don't get it. Sure,
    no OS is secure but *some* are more secure than others.
    By it's very *nature* (& no doubt helped by it's userbase, some of whom
    should not be NEAR a computer IMO) Windoze is *easy* to crack. One reason
    is because it allows the user to be an admin FFS!, & is NOT because it has
    the bigger percentage & therefore a bigger target to hit (the old M$ Big
    Lie).

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

    In short, M$ is confused & does not know how to deal with security
    problems. Linux distros (because of they way they're made) do.

    The "HoneyPot Project found that out. An *unpatched* linux machine took
    months to crack, an unpatched windoze machines just a few seconds.

    However even though GNU/linux is harder to crack (more so if it's
    hardened!) it *is* advisable to run a rootkit checker every so often, such
    as rkhunter, using a cronjob.
    http://rkhunter.sourceforge.net/
    http://opensource.weblogsinc.com/2005/12/02/hunt-for-rootkits-with-rkhunter/

    --
    Contrary to popular belief, wintrolls *can*
    tell the difference between their arse
    William Poaster, Feb 9, 2007
  14. On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 19:24:59 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:34:50 -0500, "biglon" <> wrote:
    >
    >>PS. makes me wonder why Windows is run on 98% of computers !!!!

    > Well, that's easy enough to answer:
    >
    > Because some people are too stupid to think; Because some people are too
    > lazy to learn; Because some people are too stupid to learn; Because some
    > people are too lazy to think; Because it allows some people who shouldn't
    > be within 15' of any computer anywhere to post a reply to usenet without
    > quoting the original post; Because it allows some people who otherwise
    > shouldn't be allowed within 15' of any computer anywhere to make ludicrous
    > statements about "98% of computers" that compound the original
    > foolishness;
    > Because it allows some induhviduals to make complete fools out of
    > themselves on usenet with only a couple of clicks and a few words typed
    > with your tailbone; Because it covers both you and the poster you replied
    > to; All of the above;
    > All of the above.
    >
    > Next!

    Yup, I think that about covers it.

    --
    Contrary to popular belief, trolls *can*
    William Poaster, Feb 9, 2007
  15. Au79

    biglon Guest

    Au79 I run a small business and use Peachtree Accounting . If you can find
    me a accounting package that has Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable,
    General Ledger, Payroll etc. that runs under linux I will take a look at it.

    I think that the link that says hate MS tells me all I need to know. Lots of
    folks in this country hates any company that has success. Jealously I guess.
    biglon, Feb 9, 2007
  16. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    "biglon" <> wrote in message
    > Au79 I run a small business and use Peachtree Accounting . If you can find
    > me a accounting package that has Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable,
    > General Ledger, Payroll etc. that runs under linux I will take a look at
    > it.

    here's one:
    http://www.accountixinc.com/

    and have a look here:
    http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linuxacct.html
    Gordon, Feb 9, 2007
  17. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    biglon wrote:

    > Au79 I run a small business and use Peachtree Accounting . If you can find
    > me a accounting package that has Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable,
    > General Ledger, Payroll etc. that runs under linux I will take a look at
    > it.

    MyBooks Pro

    > I think that the link that says hate MS tells me all I need to know.

    Where you too lazy to look?

    > Lots
    > of folks in this country hates any company that has success. Jealously I
    > guess.

    Nonsense. Many in this country hate evil. That's all.

    Au79, Feb 9, 2007
  18. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in news:26Pyh.8340$:

    > biglon wrote:
    >
    >> That was my original point. No OS is secure
    >> I said that in my first post ~~~

    > In relative terms from the two OS's, Linux and Windos, A windos machine
    > optimally patched and secured will never, ever, be as secure as a
    > moderatelly maintained Linux machine.

    Totally irrelevant. It only takes one hole to sink a ship.
    Fuzzy Logic, Feb 9, 2007
  19. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Mara <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:34:50 -0500, "biglon" <> wrote:
    >
    >>PS. makes me wonder why Windows is run on 98% of computers !!!!

    > Well, that's easy enough to answer:
    >
    > Because some people are too stupid to think;
    > Because some people are too lazy to learn;
    > Because some people are too stupid to learn;
    > Because some people are too lazy to think;
    > Because it allows some people who shouldn't be within 15' of any
    > computer anywhere to post a reply to usenet without quoting the original
    > post; Because it allows some people who otherwise shouldn't be allowed
    > within 15' of any computer anywhere to make ludicrous statements about
    > "98% of computers" that compound the original foolishness;
    > Because it allows some induhviduals to make complete fools out of
    > themselves on usenet with only a couple of clicks and a few words typed
    > with your tailbone; Because it covers both you and the poster you
    > replied to; All of the above;
    > All of the above.
    >
    > Next!

    I guess Linus Torvalds falls into the too stupid category! He said switching to Linux from Windows is like
    performing brain surgery on yourself:

    <http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/02/performing_brain_surgery_on_yo.html?CMP=OTC-
    0O724Z062301&ATT=Performing+Brain+Surgery+On+Yourself>

    Switching is not as trivial as *nix fanboys make it appear. Yes it can be done but if you already have Windows
    and it's working fine for you there is little incentive to make the switch.
    Fuzzy Logic, Feb 9, 2007
  20. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    William Poaster <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:21:28 -0800, Au79 wrote:
    >
    >> biglon wrote:
    >>
    >>> That was my original point. No OS is secure I said that in my first
    >>> post ~~~

    >> In relative terms from the two OS's, Linux and Windos, A windos machine
    >> optimally patched and secured will never, ever, be as secure as a
    >> moderately maintained Linux machine.

    > We've been over this before, but windows users just don't get it. Sure,
    > no OS is secure but *some* are more secure than others.
    > By it's very *nature* (& no doubt helped by it's userbase, some of whom
    > should not be NEAR a computer IMO) Windoze is *easy* to crack. One
    > reason is because it allows the user to be an admin FFS!, & is NOT
    > because it has the bigger percentage & therefore a bigger target to hit
    > (the old M$ Big Lie).
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=15305
    >
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html
    >
    > In short, M$ is confused & does not know how to deal with security
    > problems. Linux distros (because of they way they're made) do.
    >
    > The "HoneyPot Project found that out. An *unpatched* linux machine took
    > months to crack, an unpatched windoze machines just a few seconds.
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=20817
    >
    > However even though GNU/linux is harder to crack (more so if it's
    > hardened!) it *is* advisable to run a rootkit checker every so often,
    > such as rkhunter, using a cronjob.
    > http://rkhunter.sourceforge.net/
    > http://opensource.weblogsinc.com/2005/12/02/hunt-for-rootkits-with-rkhunt
    > er/

    You are assuming that security is the most important thing to computer users. Both Firefox and *nix fans tout
    the enhanced security of these products over Microsoft's as their strongest point. In reality security is one of
    many factors that affect a consumers choices. While Windows may not be as secure as competing OS's it's
    secure enough for most people and there is little incentive for them to consider alternatives. In addition if you do
    make the switch you still have to properly maintain and manage your system as well as practicing safe
    computing or you will find your system compromised in short order. The security 'process' is more important
    than the actuall software you are running to your overall system security.
    Fuzzy Logic, Feb 9, 2007