Vista exacerbates climate change

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Jul 20, 2007.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    There are a few articles around about how Vista's demand for higher power
    hardware means an increase in energy consumption and greenhouse gas
    emissions. A small increase for each user adds up over millions of users.

    In their response, MS appear to be in denial. As pointed out by Gartner, a
    user can save power on an XP system by turning it off too.
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=48856

    As an example, one of the conspicuous features of Vista is the ridiculously
    over complicated shut down / log off system, which appears to be designed
    to cause increased power consumption ...
    "The main 'off' button on the menu actually activates a 'sleep' mode which
    continues to use a significant amount of power (and on my PC the main fan
    keeps going too, which according to the Microsoft site it shouldn't). The
    real shut down is now hidden off a side menu that I suspect many novice
    users will not find."
    http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/fogg/archives/2007/03/the_vista_zeitg.html

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 20, 2007

  2. Peter

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Re: Linux users exacerbate climate change

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number of
    continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.

    Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
    just have one computer.

    Thanks.
    Mickey Mouse, Jul 21, 2007

  3. Peter

    Jennings Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:05:02 +1200, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
    > just have one computer.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Classic

    Biggles
    Jennings, Jul 21, 2007
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    From its corner, Mickey Mouse squeaked:
    > We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number
    > of continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.
    >
    > Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
    > just have one computer.

    They do.
    What's more, Linux enables users the freedom to configure the system for
    older hardware, thus giving a smaller carbon footprint.

    On the other hand, Vista users don't have the freedom to modify the
    software, and are obliged to purchase higher powered hardware. Hence the
    OP, which was about the climate change implications of Vista.
    Your reply implies tacit acceptance of the proposal that Vista exacerbates
    climate change.

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 21, 2007
  5. Peter

    Bugalugs Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > From its corner, Mickey Mouse squeaked:
    >> We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number
    >> of continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.
    >>
    >> Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
    >> just have one computer.

    > They do.
    > What's more, Linux enables users the freedom to configure the system for
    > older hardware, thus giving a smaller carbon footprint.

    C-mon

    Some conscious stricken Linux user is going to do that "just to reduce
    his carbon footprint".

    You've gotta be f*ckin joking right?

    Bugalugs, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Peter

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > From its corner, Mickey Mouse squeaked:
    >> We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number
    >> of continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.
    >>
    >> Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
    >> just have one computer.

    > On the other hand, Vista users don't have the freedom to modify the
    > software, and are obliged to purchase higher powered hardware. Hence the
    > OP, which was about the climate change implications of Vista.
    > Your reply implies tacit acceptance of the proposal that Vista exacerbates
    > climate change.

    No, it implies that Vista in itself is not the determinant of system power
    consumption. Most people who are buying a computer are wanting something
    with more capabilities than that offered by a 486. That is called consumer
    choice.

    Processor choice is a factor that plays a large part in power consumption,
    and Vista would run without problems on systems powered by the likes of
    VIA's C7 Esther processor which uses between 12 and 20 watts.
    http://www.cpushack.net/VIA.html

    Perhaps your original post would have had more credibility if it was looking
    at CPU's, and asking why those who supposedly have "genuine" concerns over
    carbon footprints aren't putting their money where their mouths are and
    using processors like that offered by VIA.
    Mickey Mouse, Jul 21, 2007
  7. Peter

    Ross Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number of
    >continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.
    >
    >Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
    >just have one computer.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Because we are helping to fight global cooling.
    Ross, Jul 22, 2007
  8. Peter

    Guest

    On Jul 21, 10:28 am, Peter <> wrote:
    > There are a few articles around about how Vista's demand for higher power
    > hardware means an increase in energy consumption and greenhouse gas
    > emissions. A small increase for each user adds up over millions of users.
    >
    > In their response, MS appear to be in denial. As pointed out by Gartner, a
    > user can save power on an XP system by turning it off too.http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=48856
    >
    > As an example, one of the conspicuous features of Vista is the ridiculously
    > over complicated shut down / log off system, which appears to be designed
    > to cause increased power consumption ...
    > "The main 'off' button on the menu actually activates a 'sleep' mode which
    > continues to use a significant amount of power (and on my PC the main fan
    > keeps going too, which according to the Microsoft site it shouldn't). The
    > real shut down is now hidden off a side menu that I suspect many novice
    > users will not find."http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/fogg/archives/2007/03/the...
    >
    > Peter

    The off button can be configured in Vista from the power settings in
    the control panel. The default is "power off", just like XP
    , Jul 22, 2007
  9. Peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > There are a few articles around about how Vista's demand for higher
    > power hardware means an increase in energy consumption and greenhouse
    > gas emissions. A small increase for each user adds up over millions
    > of users.
    >
    > In their response, MS appear to be in denial. As pointed out by
    > Gartner, a user can save power on an XP system by turning it off too.
    > http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=48856
    >
    > As an example, one of the conspicuous features of Vista is the
    > ridiculously over complicated shut down / log off system, which
    > appears to be designed to cause increased power consumption ...
    > "The main 'off' button on the menu actually activates a 'sleep' mode
    > which continues to use a significant amount of power (and on my PC
    > the main fan keeps going too, which according to the Microsoft site
    > it shouldn't). The real shut down is now hidden off a side menu that
    > I suspect many novice users will not find."
    > http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/fogg/archives/2007/03/the_vista_zeitg.html

    Cool! I didn't know this stuff was around. I just figgered it out my own
    self. <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.