Vista equals Me II

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dakota, Apr 22, 2007.

  1. Dakota

    Dakota Guest

    The following is from:

    http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39087

    Enjoy :)

    Microsoft admits Vista failure

    Actions speak louder than PR

    By Charlie Demerjian in Beijing: Saturday 21 April 2007, 12:20

    WITH TWO OVERLAPPING events, Microsoft admitted what we have been
    saying all along, Vista, aka Windows Me Two (Me II), is a joke that no
    one wants.
    It did two unprecedented things this week that frankly stunned us.

    Dell announced that it would be offering XP again on home PCs. The
    second that Vista came out, Microsoft makes it very hard for you to sell
    anything other than Me II. It can't do this on the business side because
    it would be laughed out the door, but for the walking sheep class, well,
    you take what you are shovelled.

    This is classic abusive monopoly behavior, Microsoft wrote the modern
    book on it. It pulled all the major OEMs in by twisting their arms with
    the usual methods, and they again all fell into line. Never before has
    anyone backpedalled on this, to do so would earn you the wrath of Microsoft.

    But Dell just did. This means that Me II sales are at least as bad as we
    think, the software and driver situation is just as miserable, and Dell
    had no choice but to buck the trend. If anyone thinks this is an act of
    atonement for foisting such a steaming pile on us, think again, it
    doesn't care about the consumer.

    What happened is the OEMs revolted in the background and forced
    Microsoft's hand. This is a big neon sign above Me II saying 'FAILURE'.
    Blink blink blink. OK, Me II won't fail, Microsoft has OEMs whipped and
    threatened into a corner, it will sell, but you can almost hear the
    defectors marching toward Linux. This is a watershed.

    The other equally monumental Me II failure? Gates in China launching a
    $3 version of bundled Me II. Why is this not altruism? Well, it goes
    back to piracy and how it helped enforce the MS monopoly. If you can
    easily pirate Windows, Linux has no price advantage, they both cost zero.

    With Me II, Microsoft made it very hard to pirate. It is do-able, you
    can use the BIOS hack and probably a host of others, but the point is,
    it raised the bar enough so lots of people have to buy it. Want to bet
    that in a country with $100 average monthly salary, people aren't going
    to shell out $299 for Me II Broken Edition?

    What did MS do? It dropped the price about 100x or so. I can't say this
    is unprecedented, when it made Office 2003 hard to pirate it had to
    backpedal with the student edition for about $150. This time though,
    things are much more desperate.

    If you fit Microsoft's somewhat convoluted definition of poor, it still
    wants to lock you in, you might get rich enough to afford the
    full-priced stuff someday. It is at a dangerous crossroads, if its
    software bumps up the price of a computer by 100 per cent, people might
    look to alternatives.

    That means no Me II DRM infection lock in, no mass migration to the
    newer Office obfuscated and patented file formats, and worse yet, people
    might utter the W word. Yes, you guessed it, 'why'. People might ask why
    it is sticking with the MS lock in, and at that point, it is in deep
    trouble.

    So, it did the unthinkable, and dropped the price. I won't bother to
    hunt down all the exec quotes saying how people can't afford clean water
    would be overjoyed to sell kidneys to upgrade to the new version of
    Office, but they are out there. This was a sacred cow, and it is now
    hamburger backed up against the wall.

    These two actions by Microsoft are proof of what I suggested three years
    ago. Microsoft has lost its ability to twist arms, and now it is going
    to die. It can't compete on level ground, so is left with backpedalling
    and discounts of almost 100 times.

    What we are seeing is an unprecedented shift of power. It is also an
    unprecedented admission of failure. And the funniest part about the
    moves made? They are the wrong things to do. Microsoft is in deep trouble. µ
    Dakota, Apr 22, 2007

  2. And what has this to do with 64bit Windows? Why don't you post to the
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general newsgroup along with the other
    trolls?

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 22, 2007

  3. Dakota

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E, Apr 22, 2007
  4. Dakota

    Dakota Guest

    XS11E wrote:
    > Dakota <> wrote:
    >
    >> The following is from:
    >>
    >> http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39087

    > Nothing from that source is credible, sorry.

    Well, it pretty much depends on how informed you are. If you are you'd
    see the point, if you're not, well, you need to get informed :)
    Dakota, Apr 22, 2007
  5. Dakota

    Dakota Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > And what has this to do with 64bit Windows? Why don't you post to the
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general newsgroup along with the other
    > trolls?

    Lots. I currently use XP 64 and wanted to switch to Vista 64 Ultimate.
    I can still remember the Windows Me flop, so I thought I'd share with
    you what I, and others think of Vista.If you don't like it, don't bite.

    Oh, one more thing Barns... After using XP 64 for quite some time now, I
    come to realize its limited functionality (no 64 bit drivers, much less
    64 bit applications), I am merging back to XP 32. Ya think I am still a
    troll, bozo?
    Dakota, Apr 22, 2007
  6. In a word, yes.

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 22, 2007
  7. Dakota

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Dakota:
    Being informed has nothing to with that article. Dell is looking at
    offering Linux also, so the meaning to them offering XP also is that they're
    trying to offer anything that will keep the revenue coming in. You indicate
    that you've had nothing but problems with x64 and Vista x64, for that I feel
    sorry. I haven't had your problems, I've been running x64 for three years,
    full time for 2 years since RTM without problems. I've been running Vista
    x64 since December without problems. Drivers have been an issue at times but
    research and time has cured all driver issues that I've had. If you're
    looking to talk down on any operating system that is an easy task. To learn
    and build on an operating system can be a rewarding challenge. Have a great
    day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Apr 23, 2007
  8. Dakota

    XS11E Guest

    Dakota <> wrote:

    > XS11E wrote:
    >> Dakota <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The following is from:
    >>>
    >>> http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39087

    >> Nothing from that source is credible, sorry.

    > Well, it pretty much depends on how informed you are. If you are
    > you'd see the point, if you're not, well, you need to get informed
    > :)

    The Register is a source of FUD, not information. If you'd care to
    post an article from a reputable source, rather than one that's been
    discredited multiple times, people might be inclined to pay attention
    to you.
    XS11E, Apr 23, 2007
  9. Dakota

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > Dakota <> wrote:
    >
    >> XS11E wrote:

    >>> Nothing from that source is credible, sorry.

    >> Well, it pretty much depends on how informed you are. If you are
    >> you'd see the point, if you're not, well, you need to get
    >> informed
    >> :)

    > The Register is a source of FUD, not information. If you'd care
    > to post an article from a reputable source, rather than one that's
    > been discredited multiple times, people might be inclined to pay
    > attention to you.

    Ooops, the above should have read "The Inquirer and Register, et. al".
    Fingers don't move as well as they should these days, sorry.
    XS11E, Apr 23, 2007
  10. Dakota

    John Barnes Guest

    Home run, Colin

    John Barnes, Apr 23, 2007
    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, Apr 23, 2007
  12. Dakota

    Barber Guest

    XS11E wrote:
    > The Register is a source of FUD, not information. If you'd care to
    > post an article from a reputable source, rather than one that's been
    > discredited multiple times, people might be inclined to pay attention
    > to you.

    They already have many times over :)
    Barber, Apr 25, 2007
  13. Dakota

    Barber Guest

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky wrote:
    > I have computers running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    > and Vista Home Basic.

    Wow! Are these legitimate copies or pirated versions?
    -------- END PGP SIGNED MESSAGE -----------------------
    42q457uyjndrunWEFD(DFD0sdtbaer)fgbM#@@*#%#Rgkrgrotgrg#)#%#
    Barber, Apr 28, 2007
    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, Apr 28, 2007