    into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.

    Thanks for your help.

    Regards, Jack
    Jack, Mar 12, 2007

  2. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:53:28 +1300, Jack <> wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me please whether Sony and / or Microsoft have released
    > drivers for Sony cybershot cameras for computers that have Windows Vista
    > installed? I have done a search on internet but couldn't find any Sony Vista
    > camera drivers. I purchased the full sized memory sticks, so these don't fit
    > into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.

    Have you tried just plugging the camera into the computer? If the camera
    acts as a USB Mass Storage device (and most modern cameras do), it
    should just work without any additional drivers needed.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Mar 12, 2007

  3. Jack

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:53:28 +1300, Jack wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me please whether Sony and / or Microsoft have released
    > drivers for Sony cybershot cameras for computers that have Windows Vista
    > installed? I have done a search on internet but couldn't find any Sony Vista
    > camera drivers. I purchased the full sized memory sticks, so these don't fit
    > into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Regards, Jack

    I should think you'd just plug it in - that's what I do in Linux.
    ray, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Jack

    Jack Guest

    "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:53:28 +1300, Jack <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me please whether Sony and / or Microsoft have released
    >> drivers for Sony cybershot cameras for computers that have Windows Vista
    >> installed? I have done a search on internet but couldn't find any Sony
    >> Vista
    >> camera drivers. I purchased the full sized memory sticks, so these don't
    >> fit
    >> into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.

    > Have you tried just plugging the camera into the computer? If the camera
    > acts as a USB Mass Storage device (and most modern cameras do), it
    > should just work without any additional drivers needed.

    Thanks Daniel for your reply. The digital camera involved is a fairly old
    one, we bought it in the year 2000. I guess this is part of the problem.
    Jack, Mar 12, 2007
  5. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:50:18 +1300, Jack <> wrote:

    > "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:53:28 +1300, Jack <> wrote:
    >>> Can anyone tell me please whether Sony and / or Microsoft have released
    >>> drivers for Sony cybershot cameras for computers that have Windows Vista
    >>> installed? I have done a search on internet but couldn't find any Sony
    >>> Vista
    >>> camera drivers. I purchased the full sized memory sticks, so these don't
    >>> fit
    >>> into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.

    >> Have you tried just plugging the camera into the computer? If the camera
    >> acts as a USB Mass Storage device (and most modern cameras do), it
    >> should just work without any additional drivers needed.
    >>

    > Thanks Daniel for your reply. The digital camera involved is a fairly old
    > one, we bought it in the year 2000. I guess this is part of the problem.

    If it's that old, there's a good chance that Sony has stopped supporting
    it. You might want to consider buying a $15 USB card reader; besides
    avoiding the driver issues, chances are it'll be much faster for data
    transfer than the camera.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Mar 12, 2007
  6. Jack

    Paul Allen Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote:

    > "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:53:28 +1300, Jack <> wrote:
    > >> Can anyone tell me please whether Sony and / or Microsoft have
    > >> released drivers for Sony cybershot cameras for computers that
    > >> have Windows Vista installed? I have done a search on internet but
    > >> couldn't find any Sony Vista
    > >> camera drivers. I purchased the full sized memory sticks, so these
    > >> don't fit
    > >> into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.

    > > Have you tried just plugging the camera into the computer? If the
    > > camera acts as a USB Mass Storage device (and most modern cameras
    > > do), it should just work without any additional drivers needed.
    > >

    > Thanks Daniel for your reply. The digital camera involved is a fairly
    > old one, we bought it in the year 2000. I guess this is part of the
    > problem.

    A bit more specificity would help. Have you actually tried pluggining
    it in? We can't tell from what you've said so far. What model of
    Cybershot?

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Mar 12, 2007
  7. Jack

    > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:53:28 +1300, Jack <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me please whether Sony and / or Microsoft have released
    >> drivers for Sony cybershot cameras for computers that have Windows Vista
    >> installed? I have done a search on internet but couldn't find any Sony
    >> Vista
    >> camera drivers. I purchased the full sized memory sticks, so these don't
    >> fit
    >> into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.

    > Have you tried just plugging the camera into the computer? If the camera
    > acts as a USB Mass Storage device (and most modern cameras do), it
    > should just work without any additional drivers needed.

    When you say that it should just work without any additional drivers needed,
    I think this assumes that Windows Vista already has an appropriate driver
    written in to it? For example, when I attached my Ipod to the USB port of my
    Vista laptop, a mesage came up that said "Installing Device Driver
    Software". This operation for my Ipod was successful, and a message came up
    that said: "Your device is ready to use. Device driver software installed
    successfully." My understanding is that all USB mass storage devices will
    only install properly if the computer has the appropriate drivers already
    installed. If Vista doesn't have the appropriate driver, it invites you to
    use a disc that has the correct drivers on it.

    I have the original software disk for my Sony camera, but when this was
    inserted, Vista advised that it could not use the driver. I rang Sony who
    advised that Vista drivers for Sony cameras should be on internet shortly,
    so when these are available, I guess this will solve the problem. I agree
    that a compatible card reader may be a good alternative solution.

    Regards, Jack
    Jack, Mar 12, 2007
  8. On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:25:29 +1300, Jack <> wrote:

    > "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:53:28 +1300, Jack <> wrote:
    >>> Can anyone tell me please whether Sony and / or Microsoft have released
    >>> drivers for Sony cybershot cameras for computers that have Windows Vista
    >>> installed? I have done a search on internet but couldn't find any Sony
    >>> Vista
    >>> camera drivers. I purchased the full sized memory sticks, so these don't
    >>> fit
    >>> into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.

    >> Have you tried just plugging the camera into the computer? If the camera
    >> acts as a USB Mass Storage device (and most modern cameras do), it
    >> should just work without any additional drivers needed.
    >>

    > When you say that it should just work without any additional drivers needed,
    > I think this assumes that Windows Vista already has an appropriate driver
    > written in to it? For example, when I attached my Ipod to the USB port of my
    > Vista laptop, a mesage came up that said "Installing Device Driver
    > Software". This operation for my Ipod was successful, and a message came up
    > that said: "Your device is ready to use. Device driver software installed
    > successfully." My understanding is that all USB mass storage devices will
    > only install properly if the computer has the appropriate drivers already
    > installed. If Vista doesn't have the appropriate driver, it invites you to
    > use a disc that has the correct drivers on it.
    >
    > I have the original software disk for my Sony camera, but when this was
    > inserted, Vista advised that it could not use the driver. I rang Sony who
    > advised that Vista drivers for Sony cameras should be on internet shortly,
    > so when these are available, I guess this will solve the problem. I agree
    > that a compatible card reader may be a good alternative solution.

    Many cameras can talk to computers via a generic driver, the USB Mass
    Storage interface. In that mode, the camera looks like a USB flash drive
    to the computer. Vista, XP, and probably W2K all come with this generic
    driver built in. As does OSX and probably most/all modern versions of
    Linux.

    What I'm saying is "try plugging it in and seeing if it works". If your
    computer complains and says that it needs a driver for that new USB
    device, than you have to either get a card reader or wait for Sony to
    release Vista drivers (or go back to using XP). There's a pretty decent
    chance, however, that Vista will know how to talk to your camera without
    needing any extra software.

    Now, your camera may have additional features that can be controlled by
    the computer beyond just downloading pictures. In that case, you will
    probably need additional software to access those features. But for just
    downloading data, it may just work.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Mar 12, 2007
  9. Jack

    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:25:29 +1300, Jack <> wrote:

    > Many cameras can talk to computers via a generic driver, the USB Mass
    > Storage interface. In that mode, the camera looks like a USB flash drive
    > to the computer. Vista, XP, and probably W2K all come with this generic
    > driver built in. As does OSX and probably most/all modern versions of
    > Linux.
    >
    > What I'm saying is "try plugging it in and seeing if it works". If your
    > computer complains and says that it needs a driver for that new USB
    > device, than you have to either get a card reader or wait for Sony to
    > release Vista drivers (or go back to using XP). There's a pretty decent
    > chance, however, that Vista will know how to talk to your camera without
    > needing any extra software.
    >
    > Now, your camera may have additional features that can be controlled by
    > the computer beyond just downloading pictures. In that case, you will
    > probably need additional software to access those features. But for just
    > downloading data, it may just work.

    Thanks very much Daniel for this information. When the camera was connected
    to the USB port of my Vaio computer, Vista didn't recognize it. But I have
    just found a good answer to the problem. A Vaio memory card adapter came
    with the laptop and the old-style large-sized Sony memory sticks fit inside
    and can then be read by the computer. I would have preferred to read in the
    pictures from the camera to avoid taking the memory stick in and out, but at
    least I can now upload the pictures to my computer.

    Regards, Jack
    Jack, Mar 12, 2007
  10. Jack

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <45f58d2b$>, "Jack" <> wrote:

    > "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:53:28 +1300, Jack <> wrote:
    > >> Can anyone tell me please whether Sony and / or Microsoft have released
    > >> drivers for Sony cybershot cameras for computers that have Windows Vista
    > >> installed? I have done a search on internet but couldn't find any Sony
    > >> Vista
    > >> camera drivers. I purchased the full sized memory sticks, so these don't
    > >> fit
    > >> into the card reader on my Sony Vaio laptop.

    > > Have you tried just plugging the camera into the computer? If the camera
    > > acts as a USB Mass Storage device (and most modern cameras do), it
    > > should just work without any additional drivers needed.
    > >

    > When you say that it should just work without any additional drivers needed,
    > I think this assumes that Windows Vista already has an appropriate driver
    > written in to it? For example, when I attached my Ipod to the USB port of my
    > Vista laptop, a mesage came up that said "Installing Device Driver
    > Software". This operation for my Ipod was successful, and a message came up
    > that said: "Your device is ready to use. Device driver software installed
    > successfully." My understanding is that all USB mass storage devices will
    > only install properly if the computer has the appropriate drivers already
    > installed. If Vista doesn't have the appropriate driver, it invites you to
    > use a disc that has the correct drivers on it.
    >
    > I have the original software disk for my Sony camera, but when this was
    > inserted, Vista advised that it could not use the driver. I rang Sony who
    > advised that Vista drivers for Sony cameras should be on internet shortly,
    > so when these are available, I guess this will solve the problem. I agree
    > that a compatible card reader may be a good alternative solution.

    Why not just use a card reader?
    Shawn Hirn, Mar 13, 2007