Vista - Does Anyone Actually LIKE It?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bay0Wulf, Jun 7, 2007.

  1. Bay0Wulf

    Bay0Wulf Guest

    I am actually quite surprised that I was unable to find a string about the
    Pro's and Con's of Vista in this newsgroup already.

    I am currently running a pretty good, up to date laptop (3 months old, Duo
    Core, 2G RAM & etc. See Below ... If you really Want those Details) and it
    came pre-loaded with Windows Vista.

    Having used Win Vista for the past 3 months I can say that I do not care for
    it at all. It has some nice features I suppose if I had kids or used it in a
    "home" environment" but it is a hog on resources. I actually find that it is
    rather unfriendly in that it has specific ways that it wants to do things
    and it has all kinds of MS Trialware preloaded which is designed to work
    with Vista but is not a part of Vista until you buy into the whole package.

    It sort of acts like a MAC but is nowhere near as friendly or usable ... and
    now, its beginning to get buggy.

    I have tried various methods of dismounting it and reformatting the drive
    but to no avail. This system is almost bulletproof. Something in the fact
    that the drive is SATA blocks me from getting into it and killing the
    system. My last hope is that DBAN will let me do this from a USB Floppy
    Drive. Pretty much everything I have done to date has resulted in a blue
    screen where the computer tells me that "something is trying to damage this
    computer and the computer will need to re-boot" (OK not exactly a quote)

    It has been quite frustrating as I do not always have the ability to work on
    it as I am not always available to on-line access. (What started this whole
    thing was my computer's inability to utilise my Broadband Wireless Internet
    Card). I have all the drivers I think I will need when I convert over to XP
    but ... I guess time will tell.

    Comments &/or Suggestions Anyone?

    - Bay0Wulf

    Windows Vista Home Edition (build 6000) Dell Inc. MP061
    System Service Tag:
    Chassis Serial Number:
    Enclosure Type: Portable
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo (2 installed)
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479
    Serial Number: XXXXXX
    Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. A08 04/02/2007
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    107.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    23.07 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

    SAMSUNG HM120JI ATA Device [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0 2046
    Megabytes Installed Memory

    Slot 'DIMM_A' has 1024 MB (serial number 00001266)
    Slot 'DIMM_B' has 1024 MB (serial number 04008230)
    Local Drive Volumes

    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 107.10 GB 23.07 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    local user accounts last logon
    XXXX (Deleted for Security Reasons) 6/6/2007 8:21:48 PM (admin)
    local system accounts
    Administrator 1/29/2007 1:20:46 AM (admin)
    Guest never

    DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

    Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
    Controllers Display
    ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
    ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
    Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
    Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
    Ricoh MMC Host Controller
    Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 [Display
    adapter]
    Generic PnP Monitor (19.7"vis)

    Bay0Wulf, Jun 7, 2007

  2. "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in

    > I am actually quite surprised

    Not so much. It's pretty bloated for a "new" system.

    --

    My newest company is developing computer chips which
    store and play music for implantation into women's boobs.

    This may resolve complaints from women about men always
    staring at their breasts - but never listening to them!

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 7, 2007

  3. Bay0Wulf

    Yehoshua Guest

    >It sort of acts like a MAC but is nowhere near as friendly or usable ... and
    >now, its beginning to get buggy.

    Unfortunately ease of use and security are at two totally different
    ends of the spectrum. XP was known for it's ease of use and also for
    its security holes. Just as OS X is easy to use and has security holes
    (though who wants to even bother messing with OS X when you can create
    more havoc with Windows simply due to market share).

    Also I would have suggested that you purchased a video card with
    purely dedicated video memory. Vista doesn't like shared memory GPU's.

    Yehoshua, Jun 7, 2007
  4. Bay0Wulf

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in message
    >I am actually quite surprised that I was unable to find a string about the
    >Pro's and Con's of Vista in this newsgroup already.

    Why don't you post to a MS.Public.Windows.Vista NG like General, Setup,
    Hardware, etc. etc for some help.

    I am having no problems using Vista. I like it.

    All the pre-installed software like Office 2007 trial MS Works does the same
    thing, and other stuff not related to MS, I simply uninstalled the stuff and
    moved on.

    Mr. Arnold, Jun 7, 2007
  5. Bay0Wulf

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in message
    >>I am actually quite surprised that I was unable to find a string about the
    >>Pro's and Con's of Vista in this newsgroup already.
    >>

    > Why don't you post to a MS.Public.Windows.Vista NG like General, Setup,
    > Hardware, etc. etc for some help.
    >
    > I am having no problems using Vista. I like it.
    >
    > All the pre-installed software like Office 2007 trial MS Works does the
    > same thing, and other stuff not related to MS, I simply uninstalled the
    > stuff and moved on.

    I concur. That's the first thing I do with ANY new computer - dump the
    preinstalled crap.

    Vista Ultimate feels slow on my laptop - T5200 CPU (dual 1.6GHz), 2 Gb RAM,
    120GB HD, Radeon Mobility X1400 graphics adapter. Comparing this unit to the
    identical ones at the office running XP Pro, mine is a dog. The Windows
    Experience Index scored this at 3.7 because of the graphics adapter.

    That doesn't mean I don't like it. I just wish I had more video horsepower.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 8, 2007
  6. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >> "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am actually quite surprised that I was unable to find a string about the
    >>> Pro's and Con's of Vista in this newsgroup already.
    >>>

    >> Why don't you post to a MS.Public.Windows.Vista NG like General, Setup,
    >> Hardware, etc. etc for some help.
    >>
    >> I am having no problems using Vista. I like it.
    >>
    >> All the pre-installed software like Office 2007 trial MS Works does the
    >> same thing, and other stuff not related to MS, I simply uninstalled the
    >> stuff and moved on.

    > I concur. That's the first thing I do with ANY new computer - dump the
    > preinstalled crap.
    >
    > Vista Ultimate feels slow on my laptop - T5200 CPU (dual 1.6GHz), 2 Gb RAM,
    > 120GB HD, Radeon Mobility X1400 graphics adapter. Comparing this unit to the
    > identical ones at the office running XP Pro, mine is a dog. The Windows
    > Experience Index scored this at 3.7 because of the graphics adapter.
    >
    > That doesn't mean I don't like it. I just wish I had more video horsepower.

    Too bad you can't switch to black and white for more speed.

    Broderick Crawford, Jun 8, 2007
  7. Bay0Wulf

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Broderick Crawford" <> wrote in message
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>> "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Why don't you post to a MS.Public.Windows.Vista NG like General, Setup,
    >>> Hardware, etc. etc for some help.
    >>>
    >>> I am having no problems using Vista. I like it.
    >>>
    >>> All the pre-installed software like Office 2007 trial MS Works does the
    >>> same thing, and other stuff not related to MS, I simply uninstalled the
    >>> stuff and moved on.

    >> I concur. That's the first thing I do with ANY new computer - dump the
    >> preinstalled crap.
    >>
    >> Vista Ultimate feels slow on my laptop - T5200 CPU (dual 1.6GHz), 2 Gb
    >> RAM,
    >> 120GB HD, Radeon Mobility X1400 graphics adapter. Comparing this unit to
    >> the
    >> identical ones at the office running XP Pro, mine is a dog. The Windows
    >> Experience Index scored this at 3.7 because of the graphics adapter.
    >>
    >> That doesn't mean I don't like it. I just wish I had more video
    >> horsepower.
    >>

    > Too bad you can't switch to black and white for more speed.

    LOL! Actually, turning off the Aero interface is supposed to help, but I
    can't really tell. The system scores 3.7 either way.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 8, 2007
  8. Bay0Wulf

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am actually quite surprised that I was unable to find a string about
    >>>the Pro's and Con's of Vista in this newsgroup already.
    >>>

    >> Why don't you post to a MS.Public.Windows.Vista NG like General, Setup,
    >> Hardware, etc. etc for some help.
    >>
    >> I am having no problems using Vista. I like it.
    >>
    >> All the pre-installed software like Office 2007 trial MS Works does the
    >> same thing, and other stuff not related to MS, I simply uninstalled the
    >> stuff and moved on.

    > I concur. That's the first thing I do with ANY new computer - dump the
    > preinstalled crap.
    >
    > Vista Ultimate feels slow on my laptop - T5200 CPU (dual 1.6GHz), 2 Gb
    > RAM, 120GB HD, Radeon Mobility X1400 graphics adapter. Comparing this unit
    > to the identical ones at the office running XP Pro, mine is a dog. The
    > Windows Experience Index scored this at 3.7 because of the graphics
    > adapter.
    >
    > That doesn't mean I don't like it. I just wish I had more video
    > horsepower.

    There is the specs on mine I don't don't know if it's T or Z series. It is
    using Intel CPU dual 1.73Ghz. 2Gb Ram, 1.5 Gb HD and a Nvidia GeForece 7600
    card.

    I don't know what the rating is on an index. It seems pretty fast compared
    to that vintage year 2001 Compaq Presario laptop I had running XP Pro. I
    don't see any slowness, except for the boot before I can do the dial-up due
    to things like SQL Server, IIS and a few other things starting during this
    process. The graphics speed seems ok.

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...1=Processor&v1=AMD&series_name=dv9000z_series

    Mr. Arnold, Jun 8, 2007
  9. Bay0Wulf

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Why don't you post to a MS.Public.Windows.Vista NG like General, Setup,
    >>> Hardware, etc. etc for some help.
    >>>
    >>> I am having no problems using Vista. I like it.
    >>>
    >>> All the pre-installed software like Office 2007 trial MS Works does the
    >>> same thing, and other stuff not related to MS, I simply uninstalled the
    >>> stuff and moved on.

    >> I concur. That's the first thing I do with ANY new computer - dump the
    >> preinstalled crap.
    >>
    >> Vista Ultimate feels slow on my laptop - T5200 CPU (dual 1.6GHz), 2 Gb
    >> RAM, 120GB HD, Radeon Mobility X1400 graphics adapter. Comparing this
    >> unit to the identical ones at the office running XP Pro, mine is a dog.
    >> The Windows Experience Index scored this at 3.7 because of the graphics
    >> adapter.
    >>
    >> That doesn't mean I don't like it. I just wish I had more video
    >> horsepower.
    >>

    > There is the specs on mine I don't don't know if it's T or Z series. It is
    > using Intel CPU dual 1.73Ghz. 2Gb Ram, 1.5 Gb HD and a Nvidia GeForece
    > 7600 card.
    >
    > I don't know what the rating is on an index. It seems pretty fast compared
    > to that vintage year 2001 Compaq Presario laptop I had running XP Pro. I
    > don't see any slowness, except for the boot before I can do the dial-up
    > due to things like SQL Server, IIS and a few other things starting during
    > this process. The graphics speed seems ok.
    >
    > http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...1=Processor&v1=AMD&series_name=dv9000z_series

    On my desktop I've tried both an ATI and nVidia graphics card, and I like
    the nVidia better. But it wasn't an option on the laptop <g>. I never really
    worried much about boot times either - unless something goes wrong and the
    boot really isn't right. I know what to expect on loading all the background
    stuff: it's the actual working time on the PC that counts. Overall, on both
    systems, I think that Vista is a bit slower, but not enough to really whine
    about. The hardware at the office (mostly) isn't up to Vista levels, so
    we're still going to be on XP for a long time there.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 8, 2007
  10. Bay0Wulf

    Plato Guest

    Bay0Wulf wrote:

    > I am actually quite surprised that I was unable to find a string about the
    > Pro's and Con's of Vista in this newsgroup already.

    It's not worth the trouble just yet. Perhaps wait for Vista2 like with
    any MS OS, wait for the second version.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 10, 2007
  11. Bay0Wulf

    Inteligencia Guest

    On 7 jun, 10:13, "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote:
> [...]
    > Local Drive Volumes
    >
    > c: (NTFS on drive 0) 107.10 GB 23.07 GB free
    > Network Drives
    > None detected
    > Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    > local user accounts last logon
    > XXXX (Deleted for Security Reasons) 6/6/2007 8:21:48 PM (admin)
    > local system accounts
    > Administrator 1/29/2007 1:20:46 AM (admin)
    > Guest never
    >
    > DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account
    >
    > Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
    > Controllers Display
    > ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
    > ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
    > Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
    > Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
    > Ricoh MMC Host Controller
    > Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 [Display

    Hi well i have the same situation and i need the drivers the only way
    to downgrade the OS to Xp is intalling the Xp CD and in the start you
    most press F6 to install the Hard Disk Drive Sata you say you have the
    drivers then you just need put them in a cd and install its really
    easy ... Could you give me the drivers man please??
    Sorry my bad english im from Mexico

    Inteligencia, Jun 18, 2007
  12. Bay0Wulf

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:13:09 -0700, Inteligencia wrote:

    > Hi well i have the same situation and i need the drivers the only way to
    > downgrade the OS to Xp is intalling the Xp CD and in the start you most
    > press F6 to install the Hard Disk Drive Sata you say you have the
    > drivers then you just need put them in a cd and install its really easy
    > ... Could you give me the drivers man please?? Sorry my bad english im
    > from Mexico

    Your English almost passes muster; it's your punctuation that sucks.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)