Vista Defrag

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Don, Feb 24, 2008.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Hey gang,

    Have been messing around with Vista 64 bit Ultimate since getting installed
    yesterday to dual boot with XP Pro. Parts of it are pretty neat, parts will
    take me some getting used to.

    I use Executive Software Diskeeper, in my XP Pro install. I can use it to
    defrage the drive my Vista install is on as well.

    I am curious about the Vista built in defragger, when I go into " computer",
    and right click a hard drive, click on tools, then defrag, it states it is
    defragging " disks " , ie plural.

    Is it defragging just the drive I selected, or is it defragging all my
    partitions?

    Thanks,

    Don
    Don, Feb 24, 2008

  2. It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
    To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
    Coreâ„¢ 2 Extreme X6800

    Maratonmannen, Feb 24, 2008

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    Good deal, many thanks for the info !

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  4. Don

    xiowan Guest

    Hi"Maratonmannen":
    I have several hard drives with a large number of saved recorded tv
    programs which are recorded on my G: and then moved to other drives. On my
    MCE2005 pc this results in 5 hard drives almost completely full and not
    needing any defragmenting. On my Vista PC, I record movies on G: and move
    them to my stosrage drives and they don't need to be defragmented ever. I
    tried your suggestion on my Vista pc and when the "elevated" command prompt
    window came up it said "system32". I closed the window in confusion because
    I am running Vista x64 and don't understand why the command prompt came up as
    "system32"? Is the command prompt window correct or should it have said
    64-bit? I would love to be able to de-frag only the recording drive on a
    regular basis because it gets very fragmented from frequent recordings,
    deletions and transfers to other drives but hate Vista automatically
    defragmenting over 2 TBs of stored content that doesn't need it. Should I go
    ahead and use the "system32" command prompt that comes up automatically when
    I enter "command prompt" in the Vista search box or is there a different
    command prompt available for my x64 O.S.?

    xiowan, Feb 25, 2008
  5. Don

    xiowan Guest

    Hi again "Maratonmannen":
    Just for clarification this is what the Vista command prompt window says:

    "Administrative Command Prompt"

    "C:\Windows\system32>"

    xiowan.........in tucson

    xiowan, Feb 25, 2008
  6. Don

    DP Guest

    > It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
    > To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:

    Does he have to choose the "run as administrator" option first? That's
    always how I do it, though I've forgotten why.
    DP, Feb 25, 2008
  7. Don

    Don Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > "Maratonmannen" <> wrote in message
    >> It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
    >> To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:
    >>

    > Does he have to choose the "run as administrator" option first? That's
    > always how I do it, though I've forgotten why.

    Yes, I found out the hard way, first time I tried to do it and I got an
    error that had to run as administrator or something like that, I did a
    search in help and found how I needed to right click it and select to run as
    administrator, once I did that it defragged just my C partition just fine.

    --
    Don
    Don, Feb 25, 2008
  8. Don

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Don.

    Open an Administrator:Command Prompt. Any command or application launched
    in this window will "run elevated".

    There are several ways to open this window; here's one way: Click Start |
    All Programs | Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, then click Run as
    Administrator. You'll need the Administrator's password to get past here.

    The window will open, by default, in C:\Windows\system32. That's the folder
    where cmd.exe resides (along with most of the other operating system files).
    Don't worry about the "32" in "system32"; that's a holdover from the
    original WinXP (or was it in Win95?). That is still the name of the folder
    in Vista x64.

    While you are here, type Set and press Enter. You should see a list of your
    Environment Variables, including "SystemRoot=C:\Windows" and many others.
    This Set command goes back several generations of the operating system; that
    Prompt command goes back to MS-DOS! Type Help and press Enter to get a list
    of dozens of commands that can be used in this window, along with a one-line
    description of what each one does. Pick one and type the command followed
    by /? to see a mini-help file showing the parameters that can be used with
    that command, like Dir /?. Of course, any command that can do a lot of good
    can also do a lot of damage if used improperly, so handle with care.

    Type dir dfrg* to see a list of Defrag executable files. If you type
    DfrgNtfs, you will get a message that "Command line operation of Disk
    Defragmenter is not supported." But if you type "Defrag C:", it will start
    defragging C: immediately, since you've launched the command from the
    Administrator CP window.

    Or, as you said, you can run the built-in defragger from the GUI:
    Computer | right-click on Drive C: (for example) | Properties | Tools |
    Defragmentation | Defragment Now...; you'll need the password to pass this
    point.

    I've never used Diskeeper.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 25, 2008
  9. Don

    Don Guest

    Hi R.C.,

    Thanks for the great info, very helpful, I appreciate it!

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 25, 2008
  10. Don

    xiowan Guest

    Hello R.C. White:
    I also thank you for the useful reply. I'm going disable Vista's
    automatic defragmenting and do it thru the command prompt. I hate to have
    Vista messing with drives that don't need any attention and from now on will
    just de-frag my C: drive and recording drive G: Your tip will save me the
    cost of buying a 3rd party program for disk defragmenting and also a lot of
    time learning how to use it!

    xiowan........in tucson

    xiowan, Feb 25, 2008
  11. On the other hand - Defrag wouldn't use up many milliseconds to establish
    that it didn't have to do anything! It's certainly not going to go through
    the complete procedure to no avail!

    But I understand you, the terminal window definitely has it's own
    fashination!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 25, 2008