Vista crapped out in Virtual PC.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    I was trying to get the network working in virtual pc via the loopback
    adapter trick.

    Vista was already "running" so I did this:

    1. Removed all protocols.

    2. Removed the network adapter.

    3. Vista immediately re-installed the network adapter.

    4. Rebooted.

    End result:

    Dead tcp/ip stack, dead control panel, dead network connections panel.

    5. Vista complains non genuine vista..

    6. Tried the repair options, wasted 15 minutes of time.

    7. Rebooted one more time, did not help wasted some more time.

    8. Finally vista says it's going into reduced mode.

    Lessons learned:

    1. Don't remove all protocols.

    2. Vista can't repair stack like XP ?

    3. Vista is worse than crap.

    Final question:

    Will Vista work on a stand alone PC ?

    Or must it be connected to the allmight Big Brother Microsoft ?

    Just out of curiosity since only place Vista is going for me is straight
    into turdland :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 16, 2007

  2. "Skybuck Flying" wrote:

    > Will Vista work on a stand alone PC ?

    Depends on your definition of 'Work.'

    =?Utf-8?B?QW50ZWF1cw==?=, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Skybuck:
    Don't you have a restore point prior to your disgrace?
    Can you access the Vista boot options (pressing F8) and select "Last Known
    Good Configuration?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 16, 2007
  4. He's WAY past Last Known Good.

    Just so everyone understands what Last Known Good will do, let's add a
    little clarity here. Last Known Good reverts to the last time you were able
    to log in to the machine. Once you log in, however horked up it may be, it's
    too late. That last known good is GONE. And LKG is now pointing to the
    horked up login. Now restoring to a known good restore point is a different
    kettle of fish, and can sometimes get you out of the hole. But LKG is of
    very limited use - mostly for when you've done something so bad that you
    can't even boot. With XP or Vista on a non-Domain network and a single
    account, the machine will automatically log you in if you don't have a
    password (are there really people trusting enough to run that way any
    more?!?), meaning that you're completely horked if it gets that far.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 16, 2007
  5. Skybuck Flying

    John Barnes Guest

    LKG only restores one registry key, not the whole registry, so if the
    problem is with any key except HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet you will have
    to use system restore. LKG also restores the previous driver situation, so
    it is good if a newly installed driver is suspected. System restore has the
    advantage of restoring the entire registry and system files in addition to
    the driver files.

    John Barnes, Sep 17, 2007
  6. Charlie:
    I have just learnt two things from your post:
    1.- The real use of LKG
    2.- The meaning of the expression "horked up". Had to resort to Wikipedia in
    order to understand it
    Now, getting back to Skybuck's issue.
    He still has the System Restore alternative, right?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 17, 2007
  7. Is it known, then - or well defined, at which point the system considers
    itself to be up?

    Is it when it displays the log-in screen, or only after you've logged in?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 17, 2007
  8. I don't think it resets the LKG until you actually log in. As John points
    out, it's only a single registry key - HKLM\system\current control set.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 17, 2007
  9. yes, you're right so far as I know, just CCS is recovered. And yes, it will
    recover frm a bad driver (as will the choice from F8 which is still there
    even after LKG is reset, I believe.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 17, 2007
  10. See, I was a double major in college - chemistry and english. So every once
    in a while I need to work on your vocabulary. <G>

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 17, 2007
  11. Yes, I rather thought this might be the case. The point, however, is that I
    don't think the LKG is all that useless - as some may come to understand
    from the discussion. Since most operational parts of the system should be up
    at log-in - in many cases this is most all you need even if it does not cure
    all your problems at once.

    If logging in crashes the machine, the admin account might still let you in
    and/or by creating a new user you will have options open to the non-casual
    user, at least.

    Also - this key is not just a single binary number(?) this has to be a major
    branch off the tree and there is (potentially?) huge masses of information
    inside there!

    Tony. . .

    > I don't think it resets the LKG until you actually log in. As John points
    > out, it's only a single registry key - HKLM\system\current control set.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Is it known, then - or well defined, at which point the system considers
    > > itself to be up?
    > >
    > > Is it when it displays the log-in screen, or only after you've logged

    in?

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Sep 17, 2007
  12. Charlie:
    Here's MSFT official word on LKG configuration:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852/en-us
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 17, 2007
  13. Skybuck Flying

    John Barnes Guest

    One thing this article shows is how lucky we are to have Charlie posting
    here. This article is muddled and hard to pick out just what is and what
    isn't replaced and when to use it. Charlie's posts are clear, concise and
    work.

    John Barnes, Sep 17, 2007
  14. Reverting to last known configuration sounds dangerous.

    Maybe loose files, loose settings.

    I tried it, it's worse.

    Black screen only.

    Little bit better is:

    Safe mode.

    But it wasn't much use, safe mode not allowed if vista not activated.

    Stupid thing is it goes back to login screen instead of rebooting.

    Terrible drag.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 17, 2007
  15. John:
    Agreed.
    Charlie-San posts enlighten us.
    :)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 17, 2007
  16. LKG isn't "dangerous", or shouldn't be. It just isn't always successful.
    Certainly there's no "loose" files or settings. What happens is that it
    replaces the "HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet" registry hive.

    Now, if you didn't have a clean shutdown, that can be an issue as well. But
    even so, there's nothing loose that I can see.

    First step to recovery - try LKG.
    Second, Go to safe mode if you can, and use a restore point. Or manually fix
    the problem if you know what's horked.

    Everything else is worse.

    --
    Charlie.