    - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    Roy Bean, Oct 9, 2006

  2. Roy Bean

    Anony Mouse Guest

    Roy Bean wrote:
    > Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
    > that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
    > more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
    > computer.
    >
    > The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    > whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
    > price of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >
    > The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
    > - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    > - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    > - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    > - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    There is certainly something to said about running Linux.

    Given the life span of a PC of about three years Windows users will need
    to replace both PC and software regularly.

    Linux users can use old PC's for such things as gateways or dedicated
    multi media machines.

    Given the amount of money that Gates has made makes the Widows empire
    socially and morally corrupt.

    Anony Mouse

    Anony Mouse, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Roy Bean

    whome Guest

    "Anony Mouse" <> wrote in message
    > Roy Bean wrote:
    >> Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
    >> that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
    >> more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    >> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the price
    >> of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >>
    >> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is
    >> thus:
    >> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    >> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    >> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    >> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    > There is certainly something to said about running Linux.
    >
    > Given the life span of a PC of about three years Windows users will need
    > to replace both PC and software regularly.
    >
    > Linux users can use old PC's for such things as gateways or dedicated
    > multi media machines.
    >
    > Given the amount of money that Gates has made makes the Widows empire
    > socially and morally corrupt.
    >
    > Anony Mouse

    Too bad windows is better than linux then.

    whome, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Roy Bean

    Allistar Guest

    whome wrote:

    > "Anony Mouse" <> wrote in message
    >> Roy Bean wrote:
    >>> Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
    >>> that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
    >>> more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
    >>> computer.
    >>>
    >>> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    >>> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
    >>> price of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >>>
    >>> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is
    >>> thus:
    >>> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    >>> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    >>> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    >>> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    >> There is certainly something to said about running Linux.
    >>
    >> Given the life span of a PC of about three years Windows users will need
    >> to replace both PC and software regularly.
    >>
    >> Linux users can use old PC's for such things as gateways or dedicated
    >> multi media machines.
    >>
    >> Given the amount of money that Gates has made makes the Widows empire
    >> socially and morally corrupt.
    >>
    >> Anony Mouse

    > Too bad windows is better than linux then.

    I don't want to start *another* religious war about this, but it depends
    what you do.

    I agree that Windows is "better" for a lot of people. I find Linux (and
    specifically the KDE desktop) makes me a LOT more productive than if I were
    to run Windows. This productivity translates to me working less for the
    same money, or working the same amount for more money.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 9, 2006
  5. Roy Bean

    Earl Grey Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > whome wrote:
    >
    >> "Anony Mouse" <> wrote in message

    >>> There is certainly something to said about running Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Given the life span of a PC of about three years Windows users will need
    >>> to replace both PC and software regularly.
    >>>
    >>> Linux users can use old PC's for such things as gateways or dedicated
    >>> multi media machines.
    >>>
    >>> Given the amount of money that Gates has made makes the Widows empire
    >>> socially and morally corrupt.
    >>>
    >>> Anony Mouse

    >> Too bad windows is better than linux then.

    > I don't want to start *another* religious war about this, but it depends
    > what you do.
    >
    > I agree that Windows is "better" for a lot of people. I find Linux (and
    > specifically the KDE desktop) makes me a LOT more productive than if I were
    > to run Windows. This productivity translates to me working less for the
    > same money, or working the same amount for more money.
    >
    > Allistar.

    whome doesn't give a sh*t about productivity
    He's a lab tech sucking on the public tit at Massey cow college.

    Earl Grey, Oct 9, 2006
  6. On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:07:34 +1300, Roy Bean <> wrote:

    >Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
    >that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
    >more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
    >computer.
    >
    >The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    >whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
    >price of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >
    >The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
    >- Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    >- Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    >- Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    >- Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    Somebody's making a crapload of money in markup, then. The US$ prices
    are:

    Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$199
    Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$239
    Windows Vista Business AUD$299
    Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $399

    and that translates to:

    Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$268 ($119 less)
    Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$321 ($134 less)
    Windows Vista Business AUD$402 ($163 less)
    Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $536 ($215 less)

    Who knew shipping to Aus from the US was so expensive?

    This also suggests the Home Premium edition, which is IMO the cheapest
    version worth even looking at, will go for about NZ$435, and the
    Ultimate for about NZ$850. Too rich for my blood, even if I was
    interested.
    --
    Rupert Boleyn <>

    Rupert Boleyn, Oct 9, 2006
  7. In article <>, "whome" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Too bad windows is better than linux then.

    Really depends on your value of "better" doesn't it :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 10, 2006
  8. Roy Bean

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:07:34 +1300, Roy Bean <> wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
    >> that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
    >> more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    >> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
    >> price of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >>
    >> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
    >> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    >> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    >> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    >> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    > Somebody's making a crapload of money in markup, then. The US$ prices
    > are:
    >
    > Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$199
    > Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$239
    > Windows Vista Business AUD$299
    > Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $399
    >
    > and that translates to:
    >
    > Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$268 ($119 less)
    > Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$321 ($134 less)
    > Windows Vista Business AUD$402 ($163 less)
    > Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $536 ($215 less)
    >
    > Who knew shipping to Aus from the US was so expensive?
    >
    > This also suggests the Home Premium edition, which is IMO the cheapest
    > version worth even looking at, will go for about NZ$435, and the
    > Ultimate for about NZ$850. Too rich for my blood, even if I was
    > interested.

    Hey, over 3 years, that's only 77c/day, so stop yer bitchin' ;-)

    -=rjh=-, Oct 10, 2006
  9. Roy Bean

    whome Guest

    > whome doesn't give a sh*t about productivity
    > He's a lab tech sucking on the public tit at Massey cow college.

    Windows XP is the current best OS. Vista will be better.

    Linux is hard to use, and supports hardly any good applications (that I
    would use).

    Everyone has an opinion and Linux suits some and not others. So, get back to
    your hole gimp boy before I give you a good thrashing.

    whome, Oct 10, 2006
  10. Roy Bean

    MarkH Guest

    Roy Bean <> wrote in news:egds28$fjk$:

    > Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
    > that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually
    > cost more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end
    > notebook computer.
    >
    > The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is
    > a whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
    > price of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >
    > The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is
    > thus: - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    > - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    > - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    > - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    I currently run WinXP Pro on my windows box and SUSE10 on #2 and #3 with
    Knoppix on the TV PC and whatever on my test systems. I think that next
    year I will keep the Linux boxes on Linux and the Windows box on WinXP.

    At today's prices I could buy two 320GB SATA2 HDDs for less than the price
    of Vista Home Premium.

    To support customers I will learn Vista on RC2, for my own use WinXP Pro is
    fine.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 10, 2006
  11. Roy Bean

    Chris Hope Guest

    whome wrote:

    >> whome doesn't give a sh*t about productivity
    >> He's a lab tech sucking on the public tit at Massey cow college.

    > Windows XP is the current best OS. Vista will be better.

    You state this like it is a fact when it is actually your opinion.

    > Linux is hard to use, and supports hardly any good applications (that
    > I would use).

    Again you state this like it is a fact etc

    > Everyone has an opinion and Linux suits some and not others. So, get
    > back to your hole gimp boy before I give you a good thrashing.

    Yes, you have your opinion just like everyone else does, but don't state
    your opinion like it's a fact.

    Chris Hope, Oct 10, 2006
  12. Roy Bean

    Mike Dee Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in

    > Linux is hard to use, and supports hardly any good applications
    > (that I would use).

    Yeah, like Outlook Express as a news reader (chuckle)

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Oct 10, 2006
  13. In message <>, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    >
    >> This also suggests the Home Premium edition, which is IMO the cheapest
    >> version worth even looking at, will go for about NZ$435, and the
    >> Ultimate for about NZ$850. Too rich for my blood, even if I was
    >> interested.

    > Hey, over 3 years, that's only 77c/day, so stop yer bitchin' ;-)

    And if you don't buy it at all, that's only 0¢/day, which is even better.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2006
  14. Roy Bean

    Peter Nield Guest

    "Roy Bean" <> wrote in message
    > The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    > whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the price
    > of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >
    > The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
    > - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    > - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    > - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    > - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    Nit-pick - those prices are for the "Full Packaged Product"

    Those who have existing machines (which can run Vista), are most likely to
    buy "Upgrade Packaged Product", which is cheaper

    And those buying new machines are most likely to be purchasing the OEM
    licensed editions with the machine, which are cheaper again (e.g. Windows XP
    Pro OEM is about NZ$250, and the FPP is about NZ$700, for a comparison)

    Peter Nield, Oct 10, 2006
  15. Roy Bean

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Peter Nield wrote:
    > "Roy Bean" <> wrote in message
    >> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    >> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the price
    >> of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >>
    >> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
    >> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    >> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    >> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    >> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    > Nit-pick - those prices are for the "Full Packaged Product"
    >
    > Those who have existing machines (which can run Vista), are most likely to
    > buy "Upgrade Packaged Product", which is cheaper
    >
    > And those buying new machines are most likely to be purchasing the OEM
    > licensed editions with the machine, which are cheaper again (e.g. Windows XP
    > Pro OEM is about NZ$250, and the FPP is about NZ$700, for a comparison)

    That's a $450 incentive to further pollute the environment and add to
    our landfill problem.

    How do MS justify such a huge price differential - does support for
    non-OEM products really cost that much? Or is this just a differential
    intended to keep hardware manufacturers happy - it must surely affect
    their sales hugely.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 10, 2006
  16. Roy Bean

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    >>
    >>> This also suggests the Home Premium edition, which is IMO the cheapest
    >>> version worth even looking at, will go for about NZ$435, and the
    >>> Ultimate for about NZ$850. Too rich for my blood, even if I was
    >>> interested.

    >> Hey, over 3 years, that's only 77c/day, so stop yer bitchin' ;-)

    > And if you don't buy it at all, that's only 0¢/day, which is even better.

    Yes, but MS don't like you doing that.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 10, 2006
  17. Roy Bean

    Blue Guest

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:10:01 +1300, whome wrote:

    > Linux is hard to use, and supports hardly any good applications (that I
    > would use).

    So, we have; You find Linux hard to use. There that is more like it.

    Blue, Oct 10, 2006
  18. Roy Bean

    Richard Guest

    Peter Nield wrote:
    > "Roy Bean" <> wrote in message
    >> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    >> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the price
    >> of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >>
    >> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
    >> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    >> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    >> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    >> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    > Nit-pick - those prices are for the "Full Packaged Product"
    >
    > Those who have existing machines (which can run Vista), are most likely to
    > buy "Upgrade Packaged Product", which is cheaper
    >
    > And those buying new machines are most likely to be purchasing the OEM
    > licensed editions with the machine, which are cheaper again (e.g. Windows XP
    > Pro OEM is about NZ$250, and the FPP is about NZ$700, for a comparison)

    This upgrade vs full version stuff really annoys me, not as much as the
    whole OEM thing tho.

    They all do the same thing, and have the same value in the end to a
    user, so why should it cost more because its going on a computer without
    windows, or a hell of a lot less if I choose to get the oem version vs
    one that comes in a pretty box with a scrap of a manual.

    Richard, Oct 11, 2006
  19. Roy Bean

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    > Peter Nield wrote:
    > > "Roy Bean" <> wrote in message
    > >> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    > >> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the price
    > >> of a fully configured desktop computer.
    > >>
    > >> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
    > >> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    > >> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    > >> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    > >> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    > > Nit-pick - those prices are for the "Full Packaged Product"
    > >
    > > Those who have existing machines (which can run Vista), are most likely to
    > > buy "Upgrade Packaged Product", which is cheaper
    > >
    > > And those buying new machines are most likely to be purchasing the OEM
    > > licensed editions with the machine, which are cheaper again (e.g. Windows
    > > XP
    > > Pro OEM is about NZ$250, and the FPP is about NZ$700, for a comparison)
    > >

    > That's a $450 incentive to further pollute the environment and add to
    > our landfill problem.
    >
    > How do MS justify such a huge price differential - does support for
    > non-OEM products really cost that much? Or is this just a differential
    > intended to keep hardware manufacturers happy - it must surely affect
    > their sales hugely.

    The same way all large companies do.
    You want ONE copy, then it takes a certain amount of labour, shipping
    etc for one copy. You want 10,000 copies and the labour charges etc are
    divided over a larger number. There is also the markup that the retailer
    etc is entitled to and so on.

    Jewelry is another example where mark-ups of 400% plus are common.

    Who Am I, Oct 12, 2006
  20. Roy Bean

    steve Guest

    Roy Bean wrote:

    > Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
    > that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
    > more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
    > computer.
    >
    > The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
    > whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
    > price of a fully configured desktop computer.
    >
    > The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
    > - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
    > - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
    > - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
    > - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

    Linux -> Xandros 4.0 Home Premium = NZ$150
    (and can be installed on every PC in the house)

    Ubuntu 6.06 -> NZ$0

    steve, Oct 12, 2006