    off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from me.
    Is this not possible?

    JW
    Jerry West, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Jerry West

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Why? Turning the broadcast off really isn't going to protect you
    from someone who really wants to access your network. If you use
    WPA2 (or at least WPA with a strong random passphrase that can't be
    broken with a dictionary attack), you should be very safe.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Jerry West

    Barb Bowman Guest

    See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726942.aspx as
    well.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Jerry West

    Jerry West Guest

    Doing so does have value in as much as it prevents the casual neighborhood
    user from connecting to the router. For example, my neighbors often see a
    list of available, unsecured networks and simply choose one from the list to
    connect to. If mine isn't in their list they aren't aware of me and do not
    connect. It is just this situation that I was wanting to prevent. I can do
    so quickly by turning off broadcasting. This works great for a Gateway
    laptop I have but doesn't for the HP Vista laptop. I was hoping to
    understand why. I realize I can simply turn on WEP and likely will. I still
    would like to understand why it doesn't work in Vista. If someone knows
    please do share!

    JW

    Jerry West, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Jerry West

    Pavel A. Guest

    Try to find this "already configured" profile and delete it.
    Open _Manage wireless networks_ - is it visible there?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Oct 20, 2007
  6. Jerry West

    Al Dunbar Guest

    "Jerry West" <> wrote in message
    > Doing so does have value in as much as it prevents the casual neighborhood
    > user from connecting to the router. For example, my neighbors often see a
    > list of available, unsecured networks and simply choose one from the list
    > to connect to. If mine isn't in their list they aren't aware of me and do
    > not connect. It is just this situation that I was wanting to prevent. I
    > can do so quickly by turning off broadcasting. This works great for a
    > Gateway laptop I have but doesn't for the HP Vista laptop. I was hoping to
    > understand why. I realize I can simply turn on WEP and likely will.

    ACK! or rather NAK! Not only is turning off broadcasting the SSID *not* a
    security feature; not enabling *any* security protocol such as WEP (or
    better still WAP2) is a security *vulnerability*.

    /Al

    Al Dunbar, Oct 21, 2007
  7. Hi
    Security is Not just a matter of a neighbor leeching to your connection and
    stealing few Mb/sec, of bandwidth.
    If you do not use encryption your Wireless is transmitted in clear, thus
    people can sniff the traffic and get personal sensitive info and you would
    not even know.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.

    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).

    your Wireless hardware.

    phrase.

    of one of the Wireless devices.

    device with a better one.

    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 21, 2007
  8. Jerry West

    Barb Bowman Guest

    WEP can be broken in the time it takes to read this thread.

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:32:59 -0700, "Jerry West" <>
    wrote:

    >Doing so does have value in as much as it prevents the casual neighborhood
    >user from connecting to the router. For example, my neighbors often see a
    >list of available, unsecured networks and simply choose one from the list to
    >connect to. If mine isn't in their list they aren't aware of me and do not
    >connect. It is just this situation that I was wanting to prevent. I can do
    >so quickly by turning off broadcasting. This works great for a Gateway
    >laptop I have but doesn't for the HP Vista laptop. I was hoping to
    >understand why. I realize I can simply turn on WEP and likely will. I still
    >would like to understand why it doesn't work in Vista. If someone knows
    >please do share!
    >
    >JW
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    >> Why? Turning the broadcast off really isn't going to protect you
    >> from someone who really wants to access your network. If you use
    >> WPA2 (or at least WPA with a strong random passphrase that can't be
    >> broken with a dictionary attack), you should be very safe.
    >>
    >> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:06 -0700, "Jerry West" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting turned
    >>>off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from
    >>>me.
    >>>Is this not possible?

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Oct 21, 2007
  9. Jerry West

    Al Dunbar Guest

    Further to Jack's comments, it should be noted that it is possible for some
    equipment that comes WEP-only to be upgraded to WPA, so don't throw any
    equipment out before checking into this possibility.

    /Al

    Al Dunbar, Oct 23, 2007
  10. What a HORRIBLE response. He asked how can he have his SSID broadcasting
    turned off and still have his PC running Vista connect to the internet.

    Why should you care about the reason?

    Does MVP mean that you only answer questions based on what you would use a
    function for?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVscE5lZWRlZDMxMA==?=, Oct 26, 2007
  11. So there is absolutely no sense in trying to keep it even less visible?

    You are right, someone who is determined to get one can. But, if you
    broadcast your network ID, you are encouraging those people who are not as
    determined to go ahead and attempt to jump on.

    What a joke...

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVscE5lZWRlZDMxMA==?=, Oct 26, 2007
  12. Thank you for the useful information when it comes to networking security...

    ....however, can you answer the question asked?

    How do I get my PC running Vista to connect to a wireless network when the
    SSID is not broadcasting?

    (Just so you know, I use WPA-PSK and not WEP. I am also well aware that the
    determined "hacker" can still find my network without the network ID being
    broadcast and despite my WPA-PSK security.)

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVscE5lZWRlZDMxMA==?=, Oct 26, 2007
  13. Jerry West

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:26:02 -0700, HelpNeeded310
    <> wrote:

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> Why? Turning the broadcast off really isn't going to protect you
    >> from someone who really wants to access your network. If you use
    >> WPA2 (or at least WPA with a strong random passphrase that can't be
    >> broken with a dictionary attack), you should be very safe.
    >>
    >> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:06 -0700, "Jerry West" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting turned
    >> >off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from me.
    >> >Is this not possible?

    >What a HORRIBLE response. He asked how can he have his SSID broadcasting
    >turned off and still have his PC running Vista connect to the internet.
    >
    >Why should you care about the reason?
    >
    >Does MVP mean that you only answer questions based on what you would use a
    >function for?

    MVPs try to fix the problem, not the symptom. Turning the SSID off, and making
    it work, won't be fixing the problem. Turning the SSID off doesn't even hide
    you, most WiFi clients detect APs with the SSID turned off - they have to so
    they don't transmit while an AP with no SSID is transmitting.

    An AP that's invisible can expect to be unstable, as nearby APs will be
    transmitting right over it. This results in dropped packets, and
    retransmissions, for both APs. And crappy bandwidth for everybody.

    Ever see the movie "The Invisible Man"? What were the 2 lessons (well 2 of
    them) that he learned?

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    Chuck [MVP], Oct 26, 2007
  14. Jerry West

    Barb Bowman Guest

    there are more "determined" people driving around and hanging around
    then you may realize. sorry you didn't find the explanations of
    value.

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:31:00 -0700, HelpNeeded310
    <> wrote:

    >So there is absolutely no sense in trying to keep it even less visible?
    >
    >You are right, someone who is determined to get one can. But, if you
    >broadcast your network ID, you are encouraging those people who are not as
    >determined to go ahead and attempt to jump on.
    >
    >What a joke...
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> WEP can be broken in the time it takes to read this thread.
    >>
    >> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:32:59 -0700, "Jerry West" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Doing so does have value in as much as it prevents the casual neighborhood
    >> >user from connecting to the router. For example, my neighbors often see a
    >> >list of available, unsecured networks and simply choose one from the list to
    >> >connect to. If mine isn't in their list they aren't aware of me and do not
    >> >connect. It is just this situation that I was wanting to prevent. I can do
    >> >so quickly by turning off broadcasting. This works great for a Gateway
    >> >laptop I have but doesn't for the HP Vista laptop. I was hoping to
    >> >understand why. I realize I can simply turn on WEP and likely will. I still
    >> >would like to understand why it doesn't work in Vista. If someone knows
    >> >please do share!
    >> >
    >> >JW
    >> >
    >> >"Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message

    >> --