    get rid of this pesky message?

    --
    Owen

    Owen, Aug 12, 2009

  2. Have you considered installing Roxio, then going to Roxio's Website to
    download the driver needed for Vista?

    If you added the CD (hardware) to the machine, there's a chance you might
    need a driver for it to operate in a Vista environment. For the record, I do
    not expect this to be a problem, but tossed it out for consideration and to
    dot the Is and cross the Ts.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 12, 2009

  3. Owen

    GTS Guest

    This worked for me on a customers Vista installation.
    http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/Creator/000131CR&PARAMS=

    GTS, Aug 12, 2009
  4. Owen

    Owen Guest

    I have looked at all suggestions and must accept that CD Creator 5 does not
    appear to be compatible with Vista. My real problem is how do I get rid of
    this "Program Compatibility Assistant" message that always pops up on
    startup?

    --
    Owen

    Owen, Aug 12, 2009
  5. Owen

    JD Guest

    Owen wrote:
    > I recently changed my computer and now have a Dell Inspiron 545 running
    > Vista instead of my old system running XP. I tried installing Roxio CD
    > Creator 5 (Which worked perfectly on old system) and found that there
    > seems to be a conflict with Vista so I had to
    > uninstall. This is an irritation but I can live with it.
    > However, on startup, I now have this persistent message from "Program
    > Compatibility Assistant" telling me that a driver is disabled due to
    > compatibility issues.
    > I cannot find the guilty driver to delete. I am only told that the
    > driver is " CD recording Software" Published by Roxio and that the
    > location is "unknown". Search draws blank. Can anyone help? or
    > alternately help me to get rid of this pesky message?

    Hi there it looks as tho Roxio's uninstall has left some entries still
    in your machine it will most likely be a driver that's loaded in with
    windows on start-up you should be able to remove it with "HijackThis"
    (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download)

    I don't know what the entry you will be looking for is, but it will
    most likely be named in a way you can tell what it is (or perhaps its
    apparent from the "program computability assistant")It also tells you if
    the file, the entry points to is not there.

    hope that helps a little
    JD

    JD, Aug 12, 2009
  6. Owen

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Owen" <> wrote in message
    >I recently changed my computer and now have a Dell Inspiron 545 running
    > Vista instead of my old system running XP. I tried installing Roxio CD
    > Creator 5 (Which worked perfectly on old system) and found that there
    > seems to be a conflict with Vista so I had to
    > uninstall. This is an irritation but I can live with it.
    > However, on startup, I now have this persistent message from "Program
    > Compatibility Assistant" telling me that a driver is disabled due to
    > compatibility issues.
    > I cannot find the guilty driver to delete. I am only told that the driver
    > is " CD recording Software" Published by Roxio and that the location is
    > "unknown". Search draws blank. Can anyone help? or alternately help me to
    > get rid of this pesky message?
    >
    > --
    > Owen

    CCLeaner from download.com can pick thru the registry and remove unneeded
    stuff.

    I'm thinking if PC came with CDRW it would have had software with it, so -
    tell us a few details... this is a pc that you BUILT ? You got an old Dell
    box that USED to have XP and installed Vista ?
    So you have NO cdrw driver / software installed? You're just using the CDRW
    as a CD drive ?
    If that's right, can't you delete the CDRW drive from the PC ( in device
    manager) ?
    Reboot - it should find the "new" CDRW (and still have no software to
    install) .

    - Bobb -, Aug 13, 2009
  7. Owen

    Owen Guest

    No I didnt build system, I bought a new tower from Dell and retained my old
    speakers and monitor. I have new DVD RW drive
    Neither "CCleaner" nor "Hijack this" seem to help. I still have this B***dy
    message!
    --
    Owen

    Owen, Aug 18, 2009
  8. Have you tried Roxio's Website to get the Vista Drivers for their product?

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 18, 2009
  9. Owen

    - Bobb - Guest

    Did you goto control panel - system- hardware - device manager ?
    You see nothing with an exclamation point there ?
    It's reporting DRIVER issue so I'm guessing Roxio may have changed something
    but since ccleaner is OK, then not a Roxio/registry problem now - it's got
    an "old driver".

    1. Problem is since you added the DVD/RW ?
    Did that DVD device come with a CD that has the driver on it ?
    If so, reload driver from IT ( in case Roxio replaced yours with a generic
    CDRW driver.) right-click on device - properties - driver - update - point
    to CD / folder where driver is. install.

    Reboot.

    "Working Ok " or " Has an issue" ? 'Has an issue' and reloading driver
    didn't fix it ? - right-click on it - DELETE the device.
    Boot PC in Safe mode. ( press F8 right after you see BIOS info or DELL
    splash screen)
    Do you see "Program Compatibility Assistant" message now ?
    - device manager - DVD drive listed ok ?

    3. for background - see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948187
    or
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927525

    For GENERAL info - they might apply EXACTLY.

    - Bobb -, Aug 18, 2009