    Vista after 2 or so months of running it.

    Went to use my Anything to DivX converter (from DivX) and it is a non
    starter wont even try to run
    Collector»NZ, Jun 15, 2007

  2. Collector»NZ

    Kent Smith Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Well I have had a good run with Vista and compatibility with my
    > applications, I have only just struck my second app that wont run in
    > Vista after 2 or so months of running it.
    >
    > Went to use my Anything to DivX converter (from DivX) and it is a non
    > starter wont even try to run

    Dr Divx works

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Jun 15, 2007

  3. Kent Smith wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Well I have had a good run with Vista and compatibility with my
    >> applications, I have only just struck my second app that wont run in
    >> Vista after 2 or so months of running it.
    >>
    >> Went to use my Anything to DivX converter (from DivX) and it is a non
    >> starter wont even try to run
    >>

    > Dr Divx works
    >

    > -KENT

    Have you tried Dr DivX Converter, play works fine and the codecs are
    good but the converter fails
    Collector»NZ, Jun 15, 2007
  4. Re: Vista Compatibility update

    Watch out for rogue Vista drivers. Apparently they can completely wreck your
    system, to the point where the only way to fix things is to reinstall.

    <http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2007/06/vistas_weak_lin.html>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2007
  5. Collector»NZ

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Vista Compatibility update

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:27:07 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >Watch out for rogue Vista drivers. Apparently they can completely wreck your
    >system, to the point where the only way to fix things is to reinstall.
    >
    ><http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2007/06/vistas_weak_lin.html>

    I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
    reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
    about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...
    Fred Dagg, Jun 17, 2007
  6. Collector»NZ

    Peter Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
    > reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
    > about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...

    That doesn't sound right.
    X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the OS
    to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

    Peter
    Peter, Jun 17, 2007
  7. Collector»NZ

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Vista Compatibility update

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:17:47 +1200, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
    >> reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
    >> about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...

    >That doesn't sound right.
    >X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the OS
    >to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

    And graphics drivers?
    Fred Dagg, Jun 17, 2007
  8. Re: Vista Compatibility update

    In article <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter <> wrote:
    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
    >> reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
    >> about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...

    >That doesn't sound right.
    >X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the OS
    >to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

    Remember ... Fred doesn't know what he's talking about :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 18, 2007
  9. Re: Vista Compatibility update

    In message <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter wrote:

    > X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the
    > OS to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

    I've _never_ had to do a Linux (or X) reinstall to fix a config or driver
    problem. Ever.

    And that includes the time I upgraded a SuSE 9.0 installation to a kernel
    version that dropped support for the ancient Promise RAID controller card
    that the system was booting from, so it was no longer able to boot. That
    was fiddly to straighten out, but I was still able to do it without
    anything resembling a reinstall.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 18, 2007
  10. Collector»NZ

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the
    >> OS to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

    > I've _never_ had to do a Linux (or X) reinstall to fix a config or driver
    > problem. Ever.
    >
    > And that includes the time I upgraded a SuSE 9.0 installation to a kernel
    > version that dropped support for the ancient Promise RAID controller card
    > that the system was booting from, so it was no longer able to boot. That
    > was fiddly to straighten out, but I was still able to do it without
    > anything resembling a reinstall.

    The thing is, a reinstall would have got it working again. Most windows
    problems also can be fixed, but noone bothers since a reinstall is
    usually quicker then having to figure out whats gone wrong and to fix
    it, whereas linux users are more likley to enjoy the challange of fixing
    it rather then restore from an older backup etc and just not break it in
    the same way again.
    Richard, Jun 18, 2007
  11. Collector»NZ

    sam Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter <> wrote:
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
    >>> reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
    >>> about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...

    >> That doesn't sound right.
    >> X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the OS
    >> to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

    > Remember ... Fred doesn't know what he's talking about :)

    I'm sure someone at his local Linux User Group would be able to show him
    how to fix an X problem without a re-install.
    sam, Jun 18, 2007
  12. Collector»NZ

    sam Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the
    >>> OS to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem
    >>> with X.

    >> I've _never_ had to do a Linux (or X) reinstall to fix a config or driver
    >> problem. Ever.
    >>
    >> And that includes the time I upgraded a SuSE 9.0 installation to a kernel
    >> version that dropped support for the ancient Promise RAID controller card
    >> that the system was booting from, so it was no longer able to boot. That
    >> was fiddly to straighten out, but I was still able to do it without
    >> anything resembling a reinstall.

    > The thing is, a reinstall would have got it working again. Most windows
    > problems also can be fixed, but noone bothers since a reinstall is
    > usually quicker then having to figure out whats gone wrong and to fix
    > it, whereas linux users are more likley to enjoy the challange of fixing
    > it rather then restore from an older backup etc and just not break it in
    > the same way again.

    Yes, if you want to re install any operating system, its one way of
    going back to how your system was before you broke it, but Fred Dagg
    said that was his only option.
    There are a lot of things to re configure from scratch to get your OS
    back the way you like it, and it might be easier in a linux install to
    just fix the X server, its a pretty modular system that leaves you with
    a fully working CLI if you break the GUI.
    Windows is not usually so kind.
    sam, Jun 18, 2007
  13. Collector»NZ

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Vista Compatibility update

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:41:30 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the
    >> OS to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

    >I've _never_ had to do a Linux (or X) reinstall to fix a config or driver
    >problem. Ever.

    And I've _never_ had to do a Windows reinstall to fix a driver problem
    either. What's your point?
    Fred Dagg, Jun 18, 2007
  14. Collector»NZ

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Vista Compatibility update

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:56:39 +1200, sam <>
    exclaimed:

    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> That doesn't sound right.
    >>> X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the OS
    >>> to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

    >> Remember ... Fred doesn't know what he's talking about :)
    >>

    >I'm sure someone at his local Linux User Group would be able to show him
    > how to fix an X problem without a re-install.

    Newsflash. I've used Linux for many years. Just because I know that
    Windows is a better tool for getting things done doesn't mean I don't
    know anything about Linux, contrary to the zealot's beliefs.

    The right tool for the right job. Linux is good for fucking around
    with. Windows is good for getting the job done. You know it's true.
    Fred Dagg, Jun 18, 2007
  15. Collector»NZ

    sam Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:56:39 +1200, sam <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> Remember ... Fred doesn't know what he's talking about :)
    >>>

    >> I'm sure someone at his local Linux User Group would be able to show him
    >> how to fix an X problem without a re-install.

    > Newsflash. I've used Linux for many years. Just because I know that
    > Windows is a better tool for getting things done doesn't mean I don't
    > know anything about Linux, contrary to the zealot's beliefs.
    >
    > The right tool for the right job. Linux is good for fucking around
    > with. Windows is good for getting the job done. You know it's true.

    I guess the people who can deal with both as useful tools are a whole
    lot cleverer than you.
    sam, Jun 18, 2007
  16. Collector»NZ

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Vista Compatibility update

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:22:55 +1200, sam <>
    exclaimed:

    >>> I'm sure someone at his local Linux User Group would be able to show him
    >>> how to fix an X problem without a re-install.

    >> Newsflash. I've used Linux for many years. Just because I know that
    >> Windows is a better tool for getting things done doesn't mean I don't
    >> know anything about Linux, contrary to the zealot's beliefs.
    >>
    >> The right tool for the right job. Linux is good for fucking around
    >> with. Windows is good for getting the job done. You know it's true.

    >I guess the people who can deal with both as useful tools are a whole
    >lot cleverer than you.

    They usually like to think they are, anyway. Just ask anyone that has
    to deal with Linux geeks on a regular basis.
    Fred Dagg, Jun 18, 2007
  17. Collector»NZ

    sam Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:22:55 +1200, sam <>
    > exclaimed:

    >>> Newsflash. I've used Linux for many years. Just because I know that
    >>> Windows is a better tool for getting things done doesn't mean I don't
    >>> know anything about Linux, contrary to the zealot's beliefs.
    >>>
    >>> The right tool for the right job. Linux is good for fucking around
    >>> with. Windows is good for getting the job done. You know it's true.

    >> I guess the people who can deal with both as useful tools are a whole
    >> lot cleverer than you.

    > They usually like to think they are, anyway. Just ask anyone that has
    > to deal with Linux geeks on a regular basis.

    I deal with some great guys at various ISPs that do linux, they seem to
    be a real cross section of IT, none of them are hard to deal with at all.
    I suspect that you are also probably not as obnoxious when you are not
    trolling under a nym.
    sam, Jun 18, 2007