  1. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Nathan Mercer, Feb 12, 2007

  3. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Feb 12, 2:10 am, "The Biker" <> wrote:
    >> http://apcmag.com:80/5223/vista_upgrade_can_do_clean_install

    > This isn't a mistake or a slip up, but then the article wouldn't sound
    > as controversial would it?

    A helpful inclusion by Microsoft perhaps Nathan?

    The Biker, Feb 12, 2007
  4. On 12 Feb 2007 10:16:49 -0800, "Nathan Mercer" <>
    wrote:

    >On Feb 12, 2:10 am, "The Biker" <> wrote:
    >> http://apcmag.com:80/5223/vista_upgrade_can_do_clean_install

    >This isn't a mistake or a slip up, but then the article wouldn't sound
    >as controversial would it?

    If it was not a *mistake or a slip up* how come that Microsoft told no
    one about it ?

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Feb 13, 2007
  5. The Biker

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:

    >If it was not a *mistake or a slip up* how come that Microsoft told no
    >one about it ?

    Probably because when it comes to activation time, their records will show
    if you've previously activated a copy of XP? Or they might just have felt
    like trusting you (*), like IBM trusted people who bought the
    upgrade version instead of the full version of OS/2 Warp 4. The media was
    identical, the only difference was the words printed on the license.

    (*) A good slogan for a Tui billboard?

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Feb 13, 2007
  6. The Biker

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On 12 Feb 2007 10:16:49 -0800, "Nathan Mercer" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Feb 12, 2:10 am, "The Biker" <> wrote:
    > >> http://apcmag.com:80/5223/vista_upgrade_can_do_clean_install

    > >This isn't a mistake or a slip up, but then the article wouldn't sound
    > >as controversial would it?

    > If it was not a *mistake or a slip up* how come that Microsoft told no
    > one about it ?

    What is there to tell? Other MS OS's (indeed other OS's) have done
    exactly the same thing in the past - you just need the original media
    (and actually have it installed). I think it goes back to about Windows
    3.x! I think IBM did it too (OS/2).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Feb 13, 2007
  7. On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:21:00 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > If it was not a *mistake or a slip up* how come that Microsoft told no
    > one about it ?

    LOL!

    One of those bugs that is now presented as a "feature".

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 13, 2007
  8. The Biker

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On 12 Feb 2007 10:16:49 -0800, "Nathan Mercer" <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > This isn't a mistake or a slip up, but then the article wouldn't
    > > > sound as controversial would it?

    > > If it was not a *mistake or a slip up* how come that Microsoft told
    > > no one about it ?

    > What is there to tell? Other MS OS's (indeed other OS's) have done
    > exactly the same thing in the past - you just need the original media
    > (and actually have it installed). I think it goes back to about
    > Windows
    > 3.x! I think IBM did it too (OS/2).

    I remember installing Windows 95 upgrade in the first week that it came out.
    I did a clean install on a freshly-formatted HDD. When it said it was an
    upgrade and couldn't find a previous version I just put install disk 1 of
    Windows 3.11 in the floppy drive and 'pointed' to it. The install then
    proceeded without a hitch.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2007
  9. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > If it was not a *mistake or a slip up* how come that Microsoft told
    >> > no one about it ?

    >> What is there to tell? Other MS OS's (indeed other OS's) have done
    >> exactly the same thing in the past - you just need the original media
    >> (and actually have it installed). I think it goes back to about
    >> Windows
    >> 3.x! I think IBM did it too (OS/2).

    > I remember installing Windows 95 upgrade in the first week that it came
    > out. I did a clean install on a freshly-formatted HDD. When it said it was
    > an upgrade and couldn't find a previous version I just put install disk 1
    > of Windows 3.11 in the floppy drive and 'pointed' to it. The install then
    > proceeded without a hitch.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Hi Shaun,

    I understand with Vista you can use an upgrade disk to install a 30 day
    trial copy by not typing in the install key, then immediately after the
    install finishes, before you activate, put the disk back in the drive and
    proceed with another install using the key, and Vista will accept the
    30 day trial as proof that you already had an appropriate O/S.
    The whole point of that is that you can use the upgrade disk on a formatted
    drive.
    I believe the same can be done with XP. If you only have an upgrade
    disk for XP, you can "borrow" a full install disk from a friend, use it to
    install the o/s on your freshly formatted h/d WITHOUT ACTIVATING
    the friends installed copy, then use your upgrade disk to upgrade to that
    version of XP using your install key. It works if the friends full install
    disk is service pack one and your upgrade disk is service pack 2 or later.

    The Biker, Feb 14, 2007
  10. The Biker

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Biker wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > says...

    > > > What is there to tell? Other MS OS's (indeed other OS's) have
    > > > done exactly the same thing in the past - you just need the
    > > > original media (and actually have it installed). I think it goes
    > > > back to about Windows
    > > > 3.x! I think IBM did it too (OS/2).

    > > I remember installing Windows 95 upgrade in the first week that it
    > > came out. I did a clean install on a freshly-formatted HDD. When it
    > > said it was an upgrade and couldn't find a previous version I just
    > > put install disk 1 of Windows 3.11 in the floppy drive and
    > > 'pointed' to it. The install then proceeded without a hitch.

    > Hi Shaun,

    Hi Buddy,

    > I understand with Vista you can use an upgrade disk to install a 30
    > day trial copy by not typing in the install key, then immediately
    > after the install finishes, before you activate, put the disk back in
    > the drive and proceed with another install using the key, and Vista
    > will accept the 30 day trial as proof that you already had an
    > appropriate O/S. The whole point of that is that you can use the upgrade
    > disk on a
    > formatted drive.

    Ahh, okay. I didn't follow the original link as I'm on a 1GB/day plan that
    starts at 2am and usually use all my data up overnight downloading so that
    I'm limited to 64/64 for the rest of the day. It's something I've learnt to
    live with but it does reduce the munber of links I click (especially youtube
    links <g>) during daylight hours. My bad.

    > I believe the same can be done with XP. If you only have an upgrade
    > disk for XP, you can "borrow" a full install disk from a friend, use
    > it to install the o/s on your freshly formatted h/d WITHOUT ACTIVATING
    > the friends installed copy, then use your upgrade disk to upgrade to
    > that version of XP using your install key. It works if the friends
    > full install disk is service pack one and your upgrade disk is
    > service pack 2 or later.

    Hmmm, yet another thing I didn't know. I wonder if XP Pro upgrade disks will
    drop in price now Vista's out?

    I like to learn something new every day. I can have tomorrow off now. ;-)

    </rant>

    Ya know, all this eye candy and subsequently more powerful CPUs and GPUs
    that are needed for Vista, it's gotta make a big dent in fossil fuel
    supplies world-wide when you consider the sheer number of PCs that will come
    with Vista pre-laoded and the specs bumped up to run it. I run MBM5 on my PC
    and have it monitor my average CPU usage over the period that the PC is
    running. It's been running two days since restart now and the average CPU
    utilisation over that period is 14.3%. That's with a couple two+ hour
    sessions of gaming, (an old game that automatically uses 100% CPU regardless
    of power of CPU). Using data gathered from this utility I decided to drop my
    unlocked (previously overclocked) XP2500+ to a clock speed of 1.5GHz (7.5 x
    200) (down from 2.2GHz I was running previously) and vcore to 1.2V (down
    from 1.75V). According to an on-line calculator I checked, this reduced my
    CPU power consumption to a third of what it was previously and I don't
    notice the difference often. I've even installed the registry change that
    unlocks CoolBits and underclocked my old faithful GeForce ti4200 around 20%
    as I don't need all that it has to give.

    Vista is going to cost us (the planet) many millions of barrels of oil.
    Irresponsible just for an OS. It would be a different story if it was an app
    that _needed_ the power. OK, CPUs are more powerful every generation anyway
    but they are capable of idling. With Vista and Aero I imagine CPUs and GPUs
    won't be idling very often.

    <rant/>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 14, 2007
  11. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > The Biker wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > Ahh, okay. I didn't follow the original link as I'm on a 1GB/day plan that
    > starts at 2am and usually use all my data up overnight downloading so that
    > I'm limited to 64/64 for the rest of the day. It's something I've learnt
    > to live with but it does reduce the munber of links I click (especially
    > youtube links <g>) during daylight hours. My bad.

    Snipped with care....

    > Ya know, all this eye candy and subsequently more powerful CPUs and GPUs
    > that are needed for Vista, it's gotta make a big dent in fossil fuel
    > supplies world-wide when you consider the sheer number of PCs that will
    > come with Vista pre-laoded and the specs bumped up to run it. I run MBM5
    > on my PC and have it monitor my average CPU usage over the period that the
    > PC is running. It's been running two days since restart now and the
    > average CPU utilisation over that period is 14.3%. That's with a couple
    > two+ hour sessions of gaming, (an old game that automatically uses 100%
    > CPU regardless of power of CPU). Using data gathered from this utility I
    > decided to drop my unlocked (previously overclocked) XP2500+ to a clock
    > speed of 1.5GHz (7.5 x 200) (down from 2.2GHz I was running previously)
    > and vcore to 1.2V (down from 1.75V). According to an on-line calculator I
    > checked, this reduced my CPU power consumption to a third of what it was
    > previously and I don't notice the difference often. I've even installed
    > the registry change that unlocks CoolBits and underclocked my old faithful
    > GeForce ti4200 around 20% as I don't need all that it has to give.
    >
    > Vista is going to cost us (the planet) many millions of barrels of oil.
    > Irresponsible just for an OS. It would be a different story if it was an
    > app that _needed_ the power. OK, CPUs are more powerful every generation
    > anyway but they are capable of idling. With Vista and Aero I imagine CPUs
    > and GPUs won't be idling very often.
    >
    > <rant/>
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >Now that IS a new one on me Shaun. Actually underclocking to save power.

    That had never entered my mind. Good one.

    The Biker, Feb 15, 2007
  12. The Biker

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Biker wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    <snipped brutally> <g>

    > > Using data gathered from this utility I decided to drop my
    > > unlocked (previously overclocked) XP2500+ to a clock speed of
    > > 1.5GHz (7.5 x 200) (down from 2.2GHz I was running previously) and
    > > vcore to 1.2V (down from 1.75V). According to an on-line calculator
    > > I checked, this reduced my CPU power consumption to a third of what
    > > it was previously and I don't notice the difference often. I've
    > > even installed the registry change that unlocks CoolBits and
    > > underclocked my old faithful GeForce ti4200 around 20% as I don't
    > > need all that it has to give. Vista is going to cost us (the planet)
    > > many millions of barrels of
    > > oil. Irresponsible just for an OS. It would be a different story if
    > > it was an app that _needed_ the power. OK, CPUs are more powerful
    > > every generation anyway but they are capable of idling. With Vista
    > > and Aero I imagine CPUs and GPUs won't be idling very often.
    > >
    > > <rant/>
    > >

    > Now that IS a new one on me Shaun. Actually underclocking to save
    > power. That had never entered my mind.
    > Good one.

    Yeah, thanks. It's funny, recently I've become a lot more aware of the
    amount of technology for technology's sake that is pervading our lives. I'm
    certainly no luddite but, after realising how difficult it's getting to find
    a cell phone that just works as a cell phone and sends/receives texts simply
    and efficiently, seeing seriously over-complicated DVD/HDD recorders, then
    reading all about the CPU/GPU power needed for Aero I've changed my
    technophile views a little. Add to that the findings of the recent summit on
    climate change in Paris (as if there was ever any doubt) and I start to look
    at things differently.

    A beach is made billions of grains of sand, an ocean of billions of drops of
    water. IMO, Vista, while offering little for the user, offers lots for the
    electricity companies, lots for the PC makers, the component makers and the
    software writers and piles another big handful of sand on the beach of
    global warming.

    I run CFLs (Compact Flourescant Lamps, "Energy saver" light bulbs)
    throughout my home, I've got my hot-water cylinder turned to as low as I
    practically can without having undue difficulties, I'm running the most
    economical car that I could afford, I just didn't see the point in my CPU
    using 3 times more power than I need it to. If and when I need more power I
    can clock it up again.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.