    Tony Guest

    Can the Vista iso be burned to and installed from multiple CDs instead of
    DVD ?
    Tony, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Tony <> wrote:
    > Can the Vista iso be burned to and installed from multiple CDs
    > instead of DVD ?

    No, but as far as I understand, we'll be able to get CD's from MS in the
    future.
    Unless you want to play with it and create your own bootable cd's, no...

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy
    (Ruiselede - Belgium)
    Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\), Aug 3, 2005

  3. No. DVD only, at least at this point.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 3, 2005
  4. Tony

    John Long Guest

    I've been away for a bit.

    Is vista (Beta ?) available for download to the general developer or is it
    still just a MSDN download??

    (I looked and did not see the answers in my collection of posts.)

    Thanks
    John

    John Long, Aug 3, 2005
  5. MSDN or Technical beta only at this point. There's likely to be a wider
    distribution later, but at this point it's still pretty early in the game.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 3, 2005
  6. So Charlie, there is not way span the iso across multiple CD-ROMs?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 3, 2005
  7. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in news:#u2Ca0HmFHA.2060
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > So Charlie, there is not way span the iso across multiple CD-ROMs?

    That's what I was really asking, Andre... :)
    Tony, Aug 3, 2005
  8. not that I'm aware of. And specifically, the list of requirements for Vista
    includes a DVD drive.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  9. I suppose some smart person will suggest a way to do it. But it isn't
    supported and there won't be a CD install of Vista. The hardware requirements
    include a DVD drive as a minimum, at least at this point.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  10. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in:

    > I suppose some smart person will suggest a way to do it. But it isn't
    > supported and there won't be a CD install of Vista. The hardware
    > requirements include a DVD drive as a minimum, at least at this point.

    I'm WAAAAAY too lazy to try and find the post but I believe somebody did this
    by downloading the ISO, using ISObuster to un-ISO it onto their harddrive and
    then installed from there.

    They did not have a DVD burner or DVD drive so that was the only option
    available to them.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  11. Yeah, DVD for Vista has been know since the alphas.

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 4, 2005
  12. "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    > So Charlie, there is not way span the iso across multiple CD-ROMs?

    No you cannot.
    It is a DVD image.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Aug 4, 2005
  13. I'm a least as lazy as you, so I'll just accept that it is possible. But
    CD's? Even if it worked, you'd go nuts swapping cd's back and forth. Almost
    as bad as the old days when you had to swap floppies in and out of the drive.
    Remember doing diskcopy with only one floppy?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  14. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in:

    > I'm a least as lazy as you, so I'll just accept that it is possible. But
    > CD's? Even if it worked, you'd go nuts swapping cd's back and forth.

    Reread. It was installed from a harddrive or virtual drive after the ISO was
    un-ISOed by ISObuster or something similar according to the OP. I need to
    dig out the post and see exactly what he did do, that might be a good project
    for.... some day. That means no swapping CDs and probably a faster install
    since HDs are usually MUCH faster then DVD drives.

    I didn't know it would work but the person who posted that did install Vista
    w/o a DVD drive so... it must work?

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  15. Wow, I finally found someone as old as I am.

    I remember thinking how huge a 10K HDD was :)

    Wow windows 3.1 How slick is that?

    Gaius Octavius (Augustus)

    Gaius Octavius, Aug 4, 2005
  16. Yes, the HD solution has appeal, but I was referring to his original question
    about CDs.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  17. Windows 3.1? We don't need no stinkin' windows. Where's my command line. ;)

    By the time Win31 came along, I had been running multiple applications
    simultaneously using DesqView for years. Windows seemed so slow and
    primative. But a good way to make a living. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  18. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in:

    > Yes, the HD solution has appeal, but I was referring to his original
    > question about CDs.

    That's not practical, even if it would be possible. You'd have to download,
    open the ISO, copy to cds and somehow rewrite the installer to allow multiple
    media, it would be cheaper, easier and faster to buy a DVD drive. Buying a
    DVD drive would also have been much more practical for the person who did the
    HD install.

    FWIW, I see DVD burners advertised for some very reasonable prices these
    days....

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  19. Tony

    VWWall Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Windows 3.1? We don't need no stinkin' windows. Where's my command line. ;)
    >
    > By the time Win31 came along, I had been running multiple applications
    > simultaneously using DesqView for years. Windows seemed so slow and
    > primative. But a good way to make a living. ;)

    I ran CP/M, and then DOS until Win 3.1 came out. Adding PCTools made a
    system better than Win95!

    --
    Virg Wall
    VWWall, Aug 4, 2005
  20. yes, a DVD burner isn't quite to the party favour stage yet, but getting
    close. And I completely agree about practicality.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2005