Vista Boot Time = Unpaid Time

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2008.

  1. Firms are refusing to pay employees for the extra time spent waiting for Dimdows Vista to boot.

    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/19/firms-charge-employees-vista>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Firms are refusing to pay employees for the extra time spent waiting for Dimdows Vista to boot.
    >
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/19/firms-charge-employees-vista>

    The Inquirer?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Nov 20, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:29:14 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Firms are refusing to pay employees for the extra time spent waiting for Dimdows Vista to boot.
    >>
    >> <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/19/firms-charge-employees-vista>
    > >

    >The Inquirer?

    "TIGHT ARSED employers are refusing to pay employees for the 20 or so minutes it
    takes for their computers to boot-up or shut down."

    20 minutes, what are they running it on - a 5 year old PC? And why would they
    hang around waiting for it to shutdown? Smells like a load of bollocks... just
    the thing to give Larry a boner.

    Cima, Nov 20, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:29:14 +1300, Enkidu <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Firms are refusing to pay employees for the extra time spent waiting for
    >>> Dimdows Vista to boot.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/19/firms-charge-employees-vista>
    >> >

    >>The Inquirer?
    >>

    > "TIGHT ARSED employers are refusing to pay employees for the 20 or so
    > minutes it
    > takes for their computers to boot-up or shut down."
    >
    > 20 minutes, what are they running it on - a 5 year old PC? And why would
    > they
    > hang around waiting for it to shutdown? Smells like a load of bollocks...
    > just
    > the thing to give Larry a boner.

    In my experience the article is completely accurate. Now where is that
    microsoft shill poster that posts in all the Vista threads?

    J&H.

    Je|, Nov 20, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Cima <> wrote in

    > 20 minutes, what are they running it on - a 5 year old PC? And why
    > would they hang around waiting for it to shutdown? Smells like a load
    > of bollocks... just the thing to give Larry a boner.

    Yup, just like the win98 boxen that got upgraded to xp but no ram was
    added.
    It may be Vista Capable, just like win 95 was with 4 or was it 8 megs of
    ram from 3.11. Anyways, capable means you must be patient, not runs
    smoothly. We all know this. Been there done that, I never even started
    moving, you can move on.
    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 20, 2008
  6. In message <49252d42$>, Je| wrote:

    > In my experience the article is completely accurate.

    Further confirmation here
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/20/windows_vista_overtime/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Cima wrote:

    > "TIGHT ARSED employers are refusing to pay employees for the 20 or so minutes it
    > takes for their computers to boot-up or shut down."
    >
    > 20 minutes, what are they running it on - a 5 year old PC? And why would they
    > hang around waiting for it to shutdown? Smells like a load of bollocks... just
    > the thing to give Larry a boner.

    Actually when you have idiot network admins with roaming profiles on
    slow storage with slow lan thats not uncommon.

    Nothing to do with the OS, everything to do with idiots running the place.

    Richard, Nov 20, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Cima wrote:
    >
    >> "TIGHT ARSED employers are refusing to pay employees for the 20 or
    >> so minutes it takes for their computers to boot-up or shut down."
    >>
    >> 20 minutes, what are they running it on - a 5 year old PC? And why
    >> would they hang around waiting for it to shutdown? Smells like a
    >> load of bollocks... just the thing to give Larry a boner.

    > Actually when you have idiot network admins with roaming profiles on
    > slow storage with slow lan thats not uncommon.
    >
    > Nothing to do with the OS, everything to do with idiots running the
    > place.

    Riiigt! Nothing at all to do with idiot users saving gigabytes worth of
    music in their profiles then?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Nov 20, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Cima wrote:
    >>
    >>> "TIGHT ARSED employers are refusing to pay employees for the 20
    >>> or so minutes it takes for their computers to boot-up or shut
    >>> down."
    >>>
    >>> 20 minutes, what are they running it on - a 5 year old PC? And
    >>> why would they hang around waiting for it to shutdown? Smells
    >>> like a load of bollocks... just the thing to give Larry a boner.

    >> Actually when you have idiot network admins with roaming profiles
    >> on slow storage with slow lan thats not uncommon.
    >>
    >> Nothing to do with the OS, everything to do with idiots running the
    >> place.

    > Which is my thought....my Vista at home boots very quickly, but I
    > know that, heavily locked down desktops, large profiles, Overloaded
    > AD boxes and slow SAN could all play havoc...Our backend takes a huge
    > hit in the AM and then again in the evening, its just the logging on
    > and off...but no one notices login times as we have enough grunt to
    > cope....

    I never logoff unless I have to.

    > No one in their right minds uses roaming profiles....IMHO.

    There is no real alternative. People want to login to any machine they
    walk up to and they want all their files to be available anywhere, not
    to mention being backed up.

    Then you get the road warrior who is incensed because he can't access
    the corporate LAN drives on the road. Duh!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Cima wrote:
    > "TIGHT ARSED employers are refusing to pay employees for the 20 or so minutes it
    > takes for their computers to boot-up or shut down."
    >
    > 20 minutes, what are they running it on - a 5 year old PC? And why would they
    > hang around waiting for it to shutdown? Smells like a load of bollocks... just
    > the thing to give Larry a boner.

    A better and more realistic description of the issue is here

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/20/windows_vista_overtime/

    It's not Vista per se, it is idiot employers who use logon/logoff times
    as part of their timeclock system for staff.

    It still doesn't seem believable though - there is no way Vista takes 15
    minutes to boot to the logon screen, and no way this is affected by
    roaming profiles as they don't load until after the logon has been
    processed by the DC (and thus transferred to the timeclock system).

    EMB, Nov 20, 2008
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> Which is my thought....my Vista at home boots very quickly, but I
    >>> know that, heavily locked down desktops, large profiles,
    >>> Overloaded AD boxes and slow SAN could all play havoc...Our
    >>> backend takes a huge hit in the AM and then again in the evening,
    >>> its just the logging on and off...but no one notices login times
    >>> as we have enough grunt to cope....
    >>>

    >> I never logoff unless I have to.
    >>>
    >>> No one in their right minds uses roaming profiles....IMHO.
    >>>

    >> There is no real alternative. People want to login to any machine
    >> they walk up to and they want all their files to be available
    >> anywhere, not to mention being backed up.

    > Yes there is, you tell them no...

    That's fine if you set the policy.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Nov 21, 2008
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:51:34 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>> No one in their right minds uses roaming profiles....IMHO.
    >>>

    >> There is no real alternative.

    > Yes there is!
    >
    > People should have their home directories mounted on their computer
    > using NFS. Their home directories can then be located anywhere within
    > their corporate WAN, altho' realistically best on their local
    > File/Print server.
    >
    > That way they get all their settings and documents no matter where
    > they go.
    >
    > No "roaming profile" required.

    Dimwit. The profile keeps all the preferences and stuff like that. The
    home directory doesn't contain the preferences, the profile does, local
    or roaming. Profiles should be small, and not contain bulk storage. The
    home directory should also be small and not contain bulk storage.

    >> People want to login to any machine they walk up to and they want
    >> all their files to be available anywhere, not to mention being
    >> backed up.

    > Quite a reasonable requirement for a corporate environment. Altho'
    > why are they storing documents locally on desktop computers? They
    > should always be stored on the server. Aren't your users told that
    > they should not store documents locally because they're not backed
    > up?

    Dimwit. Three things that should never be on a local (Windows) machine -
    the profile, the home directory and any corporate files. It's OK for
    them to store 'personal data', (eg photos of their kids), within reason,
    on their desktops or laptops. They should not expect it to be backed up.

    The exceptions are the road warriors who can expect to have to sync up
    every time they return to base. They are justified in having *some* data
    on their machines.

    > The user that does not conform to that deserves to loose their work!
    >
    >> Then you get the road warrior who is incensed because he can't
    >> access the corporate LAN drives on the road. Duh!

    > Citrix desktop access via broadband? or dialup access using modems?

    Dimwit. You've obviously never tried either of these.

    > There is no reason why a person with a legitimate need to be able to
    > access their documents located on corporate network resources cannot
    > be available to them anywhere, even internationally. It all depends
    > on what facilities the corporation chooses to have available to it.

    Dimwit.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Nov 21, 2008
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    >> Nothing to do with the OS, everything to do with idiots running the
    >> place.
    >>

    > Riiigt! Nothing at all to do with idiot users saving gigabytes worth of
    > music in their profiles then?

    Non work related files should be removed if the staff complain about
    slowness to log in. If they do it again they should be refered to HR for
    a meeting about their misuse of work assets.

    Richard, Nov 21, 2008
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Biggles Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:11:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <49252d42$>, Je| wrote:
    >
    >> In my experience the article is completely accurate.

    > Further confirmation here
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/20/windows_vista_overtime/>.

    Just cross posting more of your crap from Cola eh ..
    We must be about due for the awe inspiring windows needs a floppy drive
    rehash lol.

    Biggles

    Biggles, Nov 21, 2008
  15. Enkidu wrote:

    > The profile keeps all the preferences and stuff like that. The
    > home directory doesn't contain the preferences, the profile does,

    No wonder Dimdows is so complicated and unwieldy to manage. On Unix/Linux systems _all_ user data goes in the user directory. Nice and simple. System directories contain only system stuff.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 23, 2008
  16. Carnations wrote:

    > People should have their home directories mounted on their computer using
    > NFS.

    NFS is insecure.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 23, 2008
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On 21 Nov 2008 11:09:37 +1300, Carnations wrote:
    >
    >> The user that does not conform to that deserves to loose their work!

    > Let lose the dogs of war. LOL

    I guess it was worth a try ;-)

    Gib Bogle, Nov 25, 2008
  18. Bret wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:49:35 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Bret wrote:

    >>> Let lose the dogs of war. LOL

    >> I guess it was worth a try ;-)

    > Sometimes spelling matters.

    Sometimes it's good for lulz lol.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 25, 2008
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:49:35 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Bret wrote:

    >>> Let lose the dogs of war. LOL

    >> I guess it was worth a try ;-)

    > Sometimes spelling matters.

    You don't have to convince me - I'm a card-carrying pedant.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 26, 2008
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:58:59 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Bret wrote:

    >>> Sometimes spelling matters.

    >> You don't have to convince me - I'm a card-carrying pedant.

    > Murphys law says there should be a spelling error in your statement,
    > you seem to be bucking the system buddy :)

    Don't you mean Muphry's law?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2008