Vista and wireless.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mark - Australia, Oct 3, 2009.

  1. Hi there, I am having all sorts of problems trying to connect vista to my
    wireless network.

    I am using a Netgear DG834G (also have tried a TP-Link TL-WR841ND) as my
    routers/access points. Have tried OPENNW USB wireless dongle, Netgear
    wireless NIC and OPENNW wireless NIC, all with the same result.

    When I try to connect from Vista (home premium 32 bit) the connection is
    visible in the Connect to a network screen. However as soon as I go to
    connect Vista will say "Can not connect to wireless" (this is not my SSID
    name).

    If I try to diagnose the problem Windows will say can not find any wireless
    networks in range of this computer.

    Now I have tried broadcasting the SSID, security on or off, no mac address
    blocking, multiple chanels on the router, latest drivers, latest firmware on
    the router.

    All with nill result.

    Everything works fine under XP though.

    I have ensured the zero config service is running as well.

    Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to XP or god forbid Apple.

    Thanks

    Mark
    Mark - Australia, Oct 3, 2009

  2. Mark - Australia

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    You have to start with No security, No Filters, and SSID On.
    This page was writtem for XP the location of thr menus in Vista are
    different but the priciple is he same.
    Give it a try, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    "Mark - Australia" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Jack-MVP, Oct 4, 2009

  3. Yeah as per my post I have tried starting with no security, SSID broadcast on
    and off, I have tried IMHO everything.

    But thanks for the response.

    Mark

    Mark - Australia, Oct 4, 2009
  4. Mark - Australia

    Pavel A. Guest

    Look for firmware updates for your routers.
    Vista is known to uproot some troubles that were not known with XP.
    Also, make sure you have at least SP1 (better SP2) - it may help as well.
    --pa

    "Mark - Australia" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Pavel A., Oct 4, 2009
  5. Vista is fully up to date, and router firmware is the latest version. Vista
    is on SP2.

    Honestly I dont think there is a simple fix for this, at least Win 7 is out
    soon, hopefully thats will play better with my network.

    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

    Mark

    Mark - Australia, Oct 4, 2009
  6. Mark - Australia

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 4, 11:14 pm, Mark - Australia
    <> wrote:
    > Vista is fully up to date, and router firmware is the latest version.  Vista
    > is on SP2.
    >
    > Honestly I dont think there is a simple fix for this, at least Win 7 is out
    > soon, hopefully thats will play better with my network.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    > > Look for firmware  updates for your routers.
    > > Vista is known to uproot some troubles that were not known with XP.
    > > Also, make sure you have at least SP1 (better SP2) - it may help as well.
    > > --pa

    > > "Mark - Australia" <> wrote in
    > > messagenews:...
    > > > Hi there, I am having all sorts of problems trying to connect vista to my
    > > > wireless network.

    > > > I am using a Netgear DG834G (also have tried a TP-Link TL-WR841ND) as my
    > > > routers/access points.  Have tried OPENNW USB wireless dongle, Netgear
    > > > wireless NIC and OPENNW wireless NIC, all with the same result.

    > > > When I try to connect from Vista (home premium 32 bit) the connection is
    > > > visible in the Connect to a network screen.  However as soon as I go to
    > > > connect Vista will say "Can not connect to wireless" (this is not my SSID
    > > > name).

    > > > If I try to diagnose the problem Windows will say can not find any
    > > > wireless
    > > > networks in range of this computer.

    > > > Now I have tried broadcasting the SSID, security on or off, no mac address
    > > > blocking, multiple chanels on the router, latest drivers, latest firmware
    > > > on
    > > > the router.

    > > > All with nill result.

    > > > Everything works fine under XP though.

    > > > I have ensured the zero config service is running as well.

    > > > Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to XP or god forbid
    > > > Apple.

    > > > Thanks

    > > > Mark

    What type of Internet access security software / anti-virus software
    are you using? I have seen this style of problem when using Norton
    360 / Internet Security softwares. The "included" firewall module
    must be told to trust the LAN gateway IP address and the wireless
    network SSID. If the software is not told to trust the SSID, the
    software can ignore it and not display it in the list of "available"
    networks.
    smlunatick, Oct 5, 2009
  7. Thanks for the reply, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, and Vista
    Firewall, I have tried turning off the windows firewall though, this didnt
    change anything.

    Security Essentials is pretty basic I dont think it has any settings to stop
    the wireless network.

    Thanks!!

    Mark - Australia, Oct 5, 2009
  8. Mark - Australia

    Gordon Guest

    "Mark - Australia" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Thanks for the reply, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, and Vista
    > Firewall, I have tried turning off the windows firewall though, this didnt
    > change anything.
    >
    > Security Essentials is pretty basic I dont think it has any settings to
    > stop
    > the wireless network.

    There have been many comments I've seen in various places that Vista "just
    does this" - I certainly had the problem and found no cure at all.
    Windows 7 on the other hand seems to have fixed this "feature"....
    Gordon, Oct 6, 2009
  9. Yes Gordan I agree, I guess you could say the networking in vista is more
    secure, so secure you cant even connect to it.

    Ahh well Windows 7 in a couple of weeks ;-)

    Mark

    Mark - Australia, Oct 6, 2009
  10. Hi
    While I do not have experience with your specific Wireless hardware I came
    few times across this issue.
    In all cases that I came across the same occurred with Win XP, Vista, and
    Win 7.
    The only solution that I found was to use other Wireless hardware.
    Unfortunately when it comes to Entry Level Wireless hardware the
    manufactures take the liberty Not the adhere totally to the standards,
    resulting in such issues.
    The best way to over come it is to use paired hardware of the same
    manufacturer, or some thing with a similar chipset.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    "Mark - Australia" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Oct 7, 2009