Vista and wireless printing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. I have a home network which consist of destop in back rm running XP connected
    to wireless router by cat 5 cable and a magicolor 2300 printer connected to
    same router through a network card. In the front of the house I had a
    notebook running XP and connected to the internet through a network modem
    supplied by Road runner. I do not want the back computer to have access to
    the I-net.

    I was able to print wireless and have access to the Inet throught the laptop
    at the same time. Now, I had to replace the laptop with a laptop running
    Vista home ed.
    I was able to configure the home network fine (can ping the printer and
    desktop), but can not print.

    I can go to add printer, add printer not seen, type in the IP address, add
    Vista drivers, and EVEN PRINT A TEST PAGE. After adding the printer and going
    back to the properties, nothing will print, not even a test page (all things
    are shared) With the printer open, you can see the que come up, but just for
    a millisecond then vanishes. I have set up numerous networks, including my
    office, but after 30 hours of work, I have no solution. Tried 2 different
    routers, same result (likely not the router). I can share files between the
    two computers. And yes if you try to share the printer through the back
    computer, same result (takes 10x longer). And yes I can print to the network
    printer with the desktop computer.

    Also, Vista only allows to run one network at a time. Is there a way to run
    the home network and aslo have the notebook pluged into the WAN?
    =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=, Jun 23, 2007

  2. Hi
    I am not familiar with the Magicolor per-se but in most cases Network
    printers has to be add to computer but installing and configuring the
    original printer utility that come with the printer. It has to be done on
    every computer.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 23, 2007

  3. Both computers have been configured with the utility, also the printer has
    the option to set the IP address manually and is recognized by both
    computers, that is not the problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=, Jun 23, 2007
  4. Hi
    May be you want to organize your post in more understandable manner.
    E.g. I can not figure out what that means. "Vista only allows to run one
    network at a time. Is there a way to run
    >the home network and also have the notebook plugged into the WAN?".

    A Router function is to create twp separate Networks if you plug some thing
    to the WAN port by definition it is independent from the private LAN on the
    other side a client OS (Vista or other) on a computer can not run on both
    side of a Router, that is the way Network topology works.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 23, 2007
  5. If you read carefully, I did write clearly. The router is basically used as
    an access point. Again, I have a desk top in one room hardwired to the
    wireless router and in the same room the network printer is attached. I HAD
    NO PROBLEM running my wireless laptop (running XP) in a separate room. The
    laptop was attached to the Inet through a modem and at the same time was
    connected to the local network (wireless) through the wireless router. I WAS
    ABLE TO print to the network computer, and share files with the desktop. If
    you read the original complaint, I was able to connect to the local network
    or the Inet but not run both at the same time. Also once connected to the
    local network I can share files with the desktop, and I can even add the
    network computer and PRINT one test page before it fails (please read
    original complaint).

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=, Jun 23, 2007