    (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)

    Thanks

    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 6, 2009

  2. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:38:19 -0000, "Gordon"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >> I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan my
    >>external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
    >>does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
    >>(apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)

    > Switch to XP. :-D

    Good idea, why didn't I think of that? Next :)

    Gordon, Feb 6, 2009

  3. Gordon

    chuckcar Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    > Hi
    > I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan
    > my
    > external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
    > does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
    > (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)
    >
    > Thanks

    When you shut down your computer does it acually turn the computer off?
    Try manually setting the computer to go into standby. Then see if it can
    come out ok.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 6, 2009
  4. Gordon

    VanguardLH Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan my
    > external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
    > does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
    > (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
    For XP but might apply on Vista.
    Also, disconnect *all* USB devices to troubleshoot. If you are using
    USB mouse and USB keyboard, and if possible, switch to PS/2 devices to
    troubleshoot.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426

    Have you been foolishly using a registry cleaner?
    Did you try the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard disk?

    VanguardLH, Feb 7, 2009
  5. Gordon

    Tony Guest

    When you shut down your computer does it acually turn the computer off?

    No his on/off switch is on backwards so when he turns it off it actually turns
    on.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Feb 7, 2009
  6. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan
    >> my
    >> external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
    >> does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
    >> (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
    > For XP but might apply on Vista.
    > Also, disconnect *all* USB devices to troubleshoot. If you are using
    > USB mouse and USB keyboard, and if possible, switch to PS/2 devices to
    > troubleshoot.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426
    >
    > Have you been foolishly using a registry cleaner?
    > Did you try the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard disk?

    Hi
    I tried both the links, even the second one but having said that I
    haven't used a reg cleaner, but I followed the instructions anyway and all
    is well with the registry, I also did a full check of the Buffalo external
    hard drive and found nothing wrong with it, I have also noticed if I plug
    any of my usb data sticks in it also wants to check them every time I plug
    them in. I have to say if I allow this to happen it never finds anything
    wrong with any of them, if I un-plug then plug them back in, once again it
    wants to check them. thanks for all the help so far. Oh and for the other
    post, yes my PC does come out of standby , it shuts down fine, hibernates
    correctly, infact it works well except for this scan disk problem.

    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 7, 2009
  7. Gordon

    VanguardLH Guest

    Have you tested if the behavior occur when you boot Windows into its
    safe mode?

    VanguardLH, Feb 7, 2009
  8. Gordon

    chuckcar Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to
    >>> scan
    >>> my
    >>> external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it
    >>> still does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to
    >>> stop this? (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to
    >>> tell me)

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
    >> For XP but might apply on Vista.
    >> Also, disconnect *all* USB devices to troubleshoot. If you are using
    >> USB mouse and USB keyboard, and if possible, switch to PS/2 devices to
    >> troubleshoot.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426
    >>
    >> Have you been foolishly using a registry cleaner?
    >> Did you try the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard disk?

    > Hi
    > I tried both the links, even the second one but having said that I
    > haven't used a reg cleaner, but I followed the instructions anyway and
    > all is well with the registry, I also did a full check of the Buffalo
    > external hard drive and found nothing wrong with it, I have also noticed
    > if I plug any of my usb data sticks in it also wants to check them every
    > time I plug them in. I have to say if I allow this to happen it never
    > finds anything wrong with any of them, if I un-plug then plug them back
    > in, once again it wants to check them. thanks for all the help so far.
    > Oh and for the other post, yes my PC does come out of standby , it shuts
    > down fine, hibernates correctly, infact it works well except for this
    > scan disk problem.

    It *sounds* like the "disable fast shutdown" problem. In that case the
    first thing to check is to bring up msconfig: start->run msconfig<enter>.
    Click on advanced and see if "disable fast shutdown" is checkmarked. Even
    if it's greyed out and checked, then it's ok. Otherwise check it, then
    apply and OK. There *are* other fixes once this is verified. *Only* if
    this is verified.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 7, 2009
  9. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
    >>> For XP but might apply on Vista.
    >>> Also, disconnect *all* USB devices to troubleshoot. If you are using
    >>> USB mouse and USB keyboard, and if possible, switch to PS/2 devices to
    >>> troubleshoot.
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426
    >>>
    >>> Have you been foolishly using a registry cleaner?
    >>> Did you try the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard disk?

    >> Hi
    >> I tried both the links, even the second one but having said that I
    >> haven't used a reg cleaner, but I followed the instructions anyway and
    >> all is well with the registry, I also did a full check of the Buffalo
    >> external hard drive and found nothing wrong with it, I have also noticed
    >> if I plug any of my usb data sticks in it also wants to check them every
    >> time I plug them in. I have to say if I allow this to happen it never
    >> finds anything wrong with any of them, if I un-plug then plug them back
    >> in, once again it wants to check them. thanks for all the help so far.
    >> Oh and for the other post, yes my PC does come out of standby , it shuts
    >> down fine, hibernates correctly, infact it works well except for this
    >> scan disk problem.
    >>

    > It *sounds* like the "disable fast shutdown" problem. In that case the
    > first thing to check is to bring up msconfig: start->run msconfig<enter>.
    > Click on advanced and see if "disable fast shutdown" is checkmarked. Even
    > if it's greyed out and checked, then it's ok. Otherwise check it, then
    > apply and OK. There *are* other fixes once this is verified. *Only* if
    > this is verified.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    Hi All
    Yes it still happens when in safe mode............I also checked
    msnconfig, to be honest I couldnt find anything that said "fast shut down"
    it's not in general, in the boot sector there is an advanced tab but nothing
    in there about fast shut down, nothing in any other tabs either, ok I am
    being thick I think, anyway, I think I have tried just about everything
    including updating my bios (which I hate doing) it's now got the latest
    drivers and an up to date bios.

    thanks for the help so far

    Gordon

    Ps. just incase anyone needs to know the specs of the PC in question

    OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate
    Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name SPEEDY
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model GA-MA770-DS3
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4
    Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F7, 05/01/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
    User Name SPEEDY\Gordon
    Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.92 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.20 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.12 GB
    Page File Space 3.29 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

    Gordon, Feb 8, 2009
  10. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Sorted

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > thanks for the help so far
    >
    > Gordon
    >
    > Ps. just incase anyone needs to know the specs of the PC in question
    >
    > OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate
    > Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    > Other OS Description Not Available
    > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    > System Name SPEEDY
    > System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    > System Model GA-MA770-DS3
    > System Type X86-based PC
    > Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4
    > Logical Processor(s)
    > BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F7, 05/01/2009
    > SMBIOS Version 2.4
    > Windows Directory C:\Windows
    > System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    > Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    > Locale United Kingdom
    > Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"

    Hi
    thanks for all your help, I came across a forum with the same problem being
    talked about, some guy offered running this command chkntfs /x c: f: I did
    and the problem has gone away, I will probably pay for this later on but for
    now all is quiet with scandisk.

    thanks again

    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 8, 2009
  11. Gordon

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 04:02:59 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Only update your bios if there's something i.e.: a hard drive, video card
    >that doesn't work at *all*. Getting a doorstop as a motherboard is a real
    >possibility.

    Someone want to dig up the post where chucktard told a poster to
    update his bios for a problem where the computer DID boot? I can't
    find it now.

    Evan Platt, Feb 9, 2009
  12. Gordon

    chuckcar Guest

    Re: Sorted

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Gordon" <> wrote in

    >>> It *sounds* like the "disable fast shutdown" problem. In that case the
    >>> first thing to check is to bring up msconfig: start->run
    >>> msconfig<enter>. Click on advanced and see if "disable fast shutdown"
    >>> is checkmarked. Even if it's greyed out and checked, then it's ok.
    >>> Otherwise check it, then apply and OK. There *are* other fixes once
    >>> this is verified. *Only* if this is verified.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    >> Hi All
    >> Yes it still happens when in safe mode............I also checked
    >> msnconfig, to be honest I couldnt find anything that said "fast shut
    >> down" it's not in general, in the boot sector there is an advanced tab
    >> but nothing in there about fast shut down, nothing in any other tabs
    >> either, ok I am being thick I think, anyway, I think I have tried just
    >> about everything including updating my bios (which I hate doing) it's
    >> now got the latest drivers and an up to date bios.
    >>
    >> thanks for the help so far
    >>
    >> Gordon
    >>
    >> Ps. just incase anyone needs to know the specs of the PC in question
    >>
    >> OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate
    >> Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    >> Other OS Description Not Available
    >> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    >> System Name SPEEDY
    >> System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    >> System Model GA-MA770-DS3
    >> System Type X86-based PC
    >> Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s),
    >> 4 Logical Processor(s)
    >> BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F7, 05/01/2009
    >> SMBIOS Version 2.4
    >> Windows Directory C:\Windows
    >> System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    >> Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    >> Locale United Kingdom
    >> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
    >> User Name SPEEDY\Gordon
    >> Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    >> Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    >> Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
    >> Available Physical Memory 1.92 GB
    >> Total Virtual Memory 6.20 GB
    >> Available Virtual Memory 5.12 GB
    >> Page File Space 3.29 GB
    >> Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    >>

    > Hi
    > thanks for all your help, I came across a forum with the same problem
    > being
    > talked about, some guy offered running this command chkntfs /x c: f: I
    > did and the problem has gone away, I will probably pay for this later on
    > but for now all is quiet with scandisk.

    So it *was* the check disk not completing. If you have a hard shutdown
    (i.e. computer doesn't shut down on its own) in the furture this may
    occur, but otherwise you *shouldn't* have any troubles if you shut down
    whenever you're *not* using the computer.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 9, 2009
  13. chuckcar wrote:

    Your clock is off again.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 9, 2009
  14. Gordon

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 20:14:30 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Your clock is off again.

    It's not him, it's the rest of us. Remember?

    Evan Platt, Feb 9, 2009
  15. Gordon

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: Sorted

    Gordon wrote:

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Gordon" <> wrote in

    >>> It *sounds* like the "disable fast shutdown" problem. In that case the
    >>> first thing to check is to bring up msconfig: start->run msconfig<enter>.
    >>> Click on advanced and see if "disable fast shutdown" is checkmarked. Even
    >>> if it's greyed out and checked, then it's ok. Otherwise check it, then
    >>> apply and OK. There *are* other fixes once this is verified. *Only* if
    >>> this is verified.

    >> Yes it still happens when in safe mode............I also checked
    >> msnconfig, to be honest I couldnt find anything that said "fast shut down"
    >> it's not in general, in the boot sector there is an advanced tab but
    >> nothing in there about fast shut down, nothing in any other tabs either,
    >> ok I am being thick I think, anyway, I think I have tried just about
    >> everything including updating my bios (which I hate doing) it's now got
    >> the latest drivers and an up to date bios.

    > thanks for all your help, I came across a forum with the same problem being
    > talked about, some guy offered running this command chkntfs /x c: f: I did
    > and the problem has gone away, I will probably pay for this later on but for
    > now all is quiet with scandisk.

    NOTE: Do *not* change the Subject header. While most good newsreaders
    should structure the hierarchy of posts in a thread based on the
    References header, some don't or they fall back to using the Subject
    header if the chain is broken. At one time (don't know if still a
    problem), Google Groups would add posts into a thread because of a
    similar Subject header. If you feel compelled to change the Subject,
    netiquette mandates that you append "(was: <originalsubject>)".

    Chuck's mention of fast shutdown disable was for Windows 98 (see
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187607).

    What is the F: drive? Is that for a USB flash thumb drive?

    Apparently you solved the problem by excluding the drives. You didn't
    mention before that you aborted chkdsk rather than let it run to
    completion. Or was that what you meant by "allowed"?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426 mentions the registry key that
    gets the autochk entry added if dirty bit is set. Also see
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218461.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160963. This explains why using
    chkntfs with the /x parameter got around the running of chkdsk on a
    reboot. If the problem reappears, something set the dirty bit in the
    registry. That means autochk will run again on the next boot and will
    start chkdsk. Did you have a power outage or slam Windows by yanking
    the power without first shutting down Windows?

    Have you ever run "chkdsk /r" (instead of the /f parameter) to have it
    verify the sectors are reliably readable? As suggested before, did you
    get the diagnostics program from your hard disk manufacturer's web site
    and use it to test your hard disk?

    VanguardLH, Feb 9, 2009
  16. Gordon

    chuckcar Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    Doing a bit a background and sifting.

> [...]

    Certainly doesn't apply. Don't worry about that one.

    You *have* let it run through chkdsk completely right?

    >>> I tried both the links, even the second one but having said that I
    >>> haven't used a reg cleaner, but I followed the instructions anyway and
    >>> all is well with the registry, I also did a full check of the Buffalo
    >>> external hard drive and found nothing wrong with it, I have also
    >>> noticed if I plug any of my usb data sticks in it also wants to check
    >>> them every time I plug them in. I have to say if I allow this to
    >>> happen it never finds anything wrong with any of them, if I un-plug
    >>> then plug them back in, once again it wants to check them. thanks for
    >>> all the help so far. Oh and for the other post, yes my PC does come
    >>> out of standby , it shuts down fine, hibernates correctly, infact it
    >>> works well except for this scan disk problem.
    >>>

    >> It *sounds* like the "disable fast shutdown" problem. In that case the
    >> first thing to check is to bring up msconfig: start->run
    >> msconfig<enter>. Click on advanced and see if "disable fast shutdown"
    >> is checkmarked. Even if it's greyed out and checked, then it's ok.
    >> Otherwise check it, then apply and OK. There *are* other fixes once
    >> this is verified. *Only* if this is verified.

    > Yes it still happens when in safe mode............I also checked
    > msnconfig, to be honest I couldnt find anything that said "fast shut
    > down" it's not in general, in the boot sector there is an advanced tab
    > but nothing in there about fast shut down, nothing in any other tabs
    > either, ok I am being thick I think, anyway, I think I have tried just
    > about everything including updating my bios (which I hate doing) it's
    > now got the latest drivers and an up to date bios.

    Only update your bios if there's something i.e.: a hard drive, video card
    that doesn't work at *all*. Getting a doorstop as a motherboard is a real
    possibility.

    I did a search of microsoft's technet for that problem - it *was* a
    problem starting about the time of IE 4.0 and continued for a *long* time.
    A checkmark box that shouldn't be there and as setting that *should* be
    set permanently really. I.E. 5.0 made the checkmark grey out. It
    *apparently* isn't a problem since XP, however if your run power meter,
    you can get a shut down hanging depending on your updates:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327129/

    What you found wasn't actually a bug, but proper behaviour. The hard drive
    was marked as "dirty" i.e. a filesystem with allocation problems. So it -
    quite properly tried to scan it for those errors and fix them. It didn't
    however finish until that last time.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 9, 2009