  1. I just installed 3 gig in my machine, using Vista ultimate.it only shows as
    2559 mb in system properties, does Vista translate MB differently?
    TIA

    Christopher Syn, May 3, 2007

  2. Christopher Syn

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Christopher Syn" <> wrote in message
    news:pAa_h.5380$...
    >I just installed 3 gig in my machine, using Vista ultimate.it only shows as
    >2559 mb in system properties, does Vista translate MB differently?
    > TIA

    Your friend is Google.

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/ynt78o

    Mr. Arnold, May 3, 2007

  3. Vista uses binary to measure memory, whereas the traditional way is to
    calculate by the decimal equivalent. Thus the reason the numbers aren't
    matching up with what the system actually has installed.

    Hope this helps...

    Emmanuel Debrosse, May 3, 2007
  4. cheers!!!

    Christopher Syn, May 3, 2007
  5. thanks, sorted now.

    Christopher Syn, May 3, 2007
  6. Christopher Syn

    Guest

    "Emmanuel Debrosse" <> wrote:

    >Vista uses binary to measure memory, whereas the traditional way is to
    >calculate by the decimal equivalent. Thus the reason the numbers aren't
    >matching up with what the system actually has installed.
    >
    >Hope this helps...

    No.

    You read the first hit on Google linked by Mr. Arnold
    http://tinyurl.com/37w7lm

    I had to read it twice for it to make sense, he talks of Memory but
    explains a hard drive.

    Read down more:
    "BusinessWeek's tech columnist says that Windows also reserves RAM for
    its own usage, reducing the amount available to the user - thus
    explaining the memory inconsistency."

    --
    http://www.onahorse.com/

    , May 3, 2007