    I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
    --
    Bystander
    Bystander, Feb 3, 2007

  2. Bystander

    Rob Guest

    "Bystander" <> wrote in message
    news:eq0tnl$f07$...
    > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
    > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
    > I'm ready to roll.
    >
    > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
    > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
    > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
    >
    > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
    > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
    > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
    > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
    >
    > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
    > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
    > --
    > Bystander

    You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying the
    product from. I am sure they would know the answer.
    Rob, Feb 3, 2007

  3. On Feb 2, 8:16 pm, "Rob" <> wrote:
    > > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
    > > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
    > > I'm ready to roll.

    > > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
    > > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
    > > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.

    > > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
    > > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
    > > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
    > > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?

    > > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
    > > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.

    > You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying the
    > product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

    I would be inclined to contact the creator of the software called DVD
    Region-Free, and ask them if it is supported on Windows Vista

    Microsoft does not know the application compatibility status of every
    single piece of software out there

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Feb 3, 2007
  4. Bystander

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <1170475924.748901@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <> wrote:

    > "Bystander" <> wrote in message
    > > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
    > > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
    > > I'm ready to roll.
    > >
    > > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
    > > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
    > > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
    > >
    > > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
    > > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
    > > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
    > > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
    > >
    > > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
    > > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
    > > --
    > > Bystander

    > You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying the
    > product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

    and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
    is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.
    whoisthis, Feb 3, 2007
  5. Bystander

    Rob Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1170475924.748901@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Bystander" <> wrote in message
    >> > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
    >> > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
    >> > I'm ready to roll.
    >> >
    >> > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
    >> > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
    >> > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
    >> >
    >> > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
    >> > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
    >> > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
    >> > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
    >> >
    >> > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to
    >> > Linux.
    >> > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
    >> > --
    >> > Bystander

    >> You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying
    >> the
    >> product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

    > and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
    > is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

    It is not illegal for NZ businesses to sell region free DVD players. I
    purchased one from Farmers and DSE and the warehouse sell region free
    players.
    Rob, Feb 3, 2007
  6. Bystander

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message news:1170484660.474476@ftpsrv1...

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <1170475924.748901@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Bystander" <> wrote in message

    >>> You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying
    >>> the
    >>> product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

    >> and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
    >> is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

    > It is not illegal for NZ businesses to sell region free DVD players. I
    > purchased one from Farmers and DSE and the warehouse sell region free
    > players.

    It is not illegal for NZ businesses to sell Region 4 only players either.

    Very unlikely for Mincrosoft US to support region free zones. Multi zone
    works well enough on XP only people with Vista will ever know if they can
    free the region lock for good or not.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 3, 2007
  7. Bystander

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <1170484660.474476@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <> wrote:

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <1170475924.748901@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Bystander" <> wrote in message

    > >> You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying
    > >> the
    > >> product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

    > > and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
    > > is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

    > It is not illegal for NZ businesses to sell region free DVD players. I
    > purchased one from Farmers and DSE and the warehouse sell region free
    > players.

    Umm... read slowly and you will see I said the same thing.
    whoisthis, Feb 3, 2007
  8. Bystander

    Cadae Guest

    "Bystander" <> wrote in message
    > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
    > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
    > I'm ready to roll.
    >
    > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
    > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
    > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
    >
    > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
    > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
    > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
    > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
    >
    > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
    > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
    > --
    > Bystander

    If you have no luck with Vista support, you could try a hardware solution as
    follows:

    For the price of a couple of DVDs you could purchase a region-free DVD
    player for your PC.
    If you can't find a region-free player, then it may be possible to install a
    cheap second DVD player and assign a different region code to it.

    PC
    Cadae, Feb 3, 2007
  9. Bystander

    Earl Grey Guest

    Bystander wrote:
    > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
    > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
    > I'm ready to roll.
    >
    > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
    > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
    > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
    >
    > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
    > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
    > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
    > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
    >
    > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
    > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.

    VLC runs on Vista and doesn't care about regions.
    Earl Grey, Feb 3, 2007
  10. Bystander

    Bystander Guest

    In article <45c46c4d$>, Earl Grey <> wrote:

    > Bystander wrote:
    > > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
    > > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
    > > I'm ready to roll.
    > >
    > > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
    > > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
    > > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
    > >
    > > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
    > > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
    > > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
    > > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
    > >
    > > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
    > > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.

    > VLC runs on Vista and doesn't care about regions.

    Ah, right. I'll give it a try -- and thanks for that.
    --
    Bystander
    Bystander, Feb 3, 2007
  11. On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:15:13 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Microsoft does not know the application compatibility status of every
    > single piece of software out there

    Translated:

    Micro$oft has not done any testing for compatibility of media playing
    software other than M$ Windows Media Player after having introduced
    Digital Restrictions Management throughout M$ Windows Vi$ta.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918
    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 3, 2007
  12. Bystander

    Phil Guest

    whoisthis wrote, On 3/02/07 7.34 p:
    > and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
    > is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

    How is it illegal to sell them (where in the law does it say this)?
    Several people have told me this, but I haven't been able to actually
    find the source of it.

    -Phil
    Phil, Feb 3, 2007
  13. Bystander

    k Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > Micro$oft ... M$ Windows Media Player ... M$ Windows Vi$ta.

    *sigh*
    k, Feb 3, 2007
  14. Bystander

    k Guest

    k, Feb 3, 2007
  15. On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 03:41:47 +1300, Phil wrote:

    >> and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
    >> is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

    > How is it illegal to sell them (where in the law does it say this)?
    > Several people have told me this, but I haven't been able to actually
    > find the source of it.

    It is illegal to sell region-locked DVD players here in NZ because a DVD
    should be playable in ANY DVD player that claims to conform to the DVD
    standard, and likewise a DVD player should be able to play ANY DVD that

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 4, 2007
  16. Bystander

    Phil Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote, On 4/02/07 1.12 p:
    > On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 03:41:47 +1300, Phil wrote:
    >
    >>> and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
    >>> is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

    >> How is it illegal to sell them (where in the law does it say this)?
    >> Several people have told me this, but I haven't been able to actually
    >> find the source of it.

    > It is illegal to sell region-locked DVD players here in NZ because a DVD
    > should be playable in ANY DVD player that claims to conform to the DVD
    > standard, and likewise a DVD player should be able to play ANY DVD that
    > claims to conform to the DVD standard.

    That wasn't my question. Where in the legislation does it make it
    illegal to sell region-locked devices?

    -Phil
    Phil, Feb 4, 2007
  17. On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:20:31 +1300, Phil wrote:

    > That wasn't my question. Where in the legislation does it make it
    > illegal to sell region-locked devices?

    The Consumer Guarantees Act makes it illegal to sell anything not fit for
    the purpose for which it is being sold.

    A DVD player that cannot play a DVD from any region is illegal in NZ.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 4, 2007
  18. Bystander

    Crash Guest

    Bystander wrote:
    > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
    > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
    > I'm ready to roll.
    >
    > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
    > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
    > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
    >
    > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
    > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
    > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
    > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
    >
    > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
    > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.

    Slightly OT but I am curious - why are you upgrading from XP to Vista?

    This is a genuine question - I have no OS-wars axe to grind.

    Crash.
    Crash, Feb 4, 2007
  19. Bystander

    Philip Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:20:31 +1300, Phil wrote:
    >
    >> That wasn't my question. Where in the legislation does it make it
    >> illegal to sell region-locked devices?

    > The Consumer Guarantees Act makes it illegal to sell anything not fit for
    > the purpose for which it is being sold.
    >
    > A DVD player that cannot play a DVD from any region is illegal in NZ.

    That's not what the law provides.

    Our parallel importing law allows individuals and companies to bypass
    proprietary lock-ins imposed by manufacturers.

    That includes the DVD region codes.

    Retailers are free to sell any kind of DVD player they like, including
    one with enforced region codes and one without.

    The market has made its choices.

    Incidentally, if there were no region codes there would be far less
    piracy of DVD product.

    Philip
    Philip, Feb 4, 2007
  20. Bystander

    Mutley Guest

    Philip <> wrote:

    >Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >> On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:20:31 +1300, Phil wrote:
    >>
    >>> That wasn't my question. Where in the legislation does it make it
    >>> illegal to sell region-locked devices?

    >> The Consumer Guarantees Act makes it illegal to sell anything not fit for
    >> the purpose for which it is being sold.
    >>
    >> A DVD player that cannot play a DVD from any region is illegal in NZ.
    >>

    >That's not what the law provides.
    >
    >Our parallel importing law allows individuals and companies to bypass
    >proprietary lock-ins imposed by manufacturers.
    >
    >That includes the DVD region codes.
    >
    >Retailers are free to sell any kind of DVD player they like, including
    >one with enforced region codes and one without.
    >
    >The market has made its choices.
    >
    >Incidentally, if there were no region codes there would be far less
    >piracy of DVD product.
    >
    >Philip

    How do you work that out?? Regional coding has nothing to do with
    piracy but lots to do with price gouging marketing..
    Mutley, Feb 4, 2007