Vista 64bit Ultimate installation problem

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?bXVpdG5lcA==?=, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. Hello to all out there

    I'm looking for some ideas if possible. Just built my first PC and I knew I
    would come up against a few problems along the way. If I give you a run down
    of components and the problem maybe you can help.

    Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB GDDR3 graphics card
    Enermax Infiniti 720W EIN720AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Conroe" 3.00GHz (1333FSB)
    OCZ 2GB (4 x 1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series
    DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)
    Samsung SpinPoint T HD501LJ 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache *3
    Asus DRW-1814BLT 18x18 DVD±RW Serial ATA
    Sony Floppy Drive
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Edition

    First problem I had was with bios - checksum error defaults loaded. I had to
    upgrade bios to the latest version to get it to work and then upped the
    voltage to the memory - problem sorted but it took me four hours!!

    All hard drives have been formatted but I'm not sure if they have been
    partitioned. Can I do this before installing the OS?

    Anyway, tried installing OS, got to a certain point and this blue screen
    flashes up quickly saying that windows did not shut down properly and then
    restarts. It then goes round and round in circles stopping at this point. I
    need to find out what the operating system doesn't like about my hardware if
    it is that at all.

    I have a few ideas in mind - if the graphics card needs drivers for the os,
    can i install them before I install the OS?
    I have windows XP 32bit - will this be a good idea to install first and then
    vista?
    I've read something about the SATA setup in bios - do i need to do something
    here?

    any ideas will be appreciated

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?bXVpdG5lcA==?=, Aug 18, 2007

  2. Remove 2GB of the RAM and complete the install.
    Then apply http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777 - will be done
    automatically if you apply the Windows Updates - and you can replace the RAM
    and all should be well.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens.

    =?Utf-8?B?bXVpdG5lcA==?=, Aug 18, 2007