    used a card reader which vista64 couldnt find a driver for either. How do I
    make this work? Is microsoft putting any real effort into their 64bit os or
    am I waisting my time?

    Turtlescout, Feb 24, 2008

  2. Turtlescout

    John Barnes Guest

    Microsoft doesn't do product specific drivers. If you need drivers you are
    going to have to contact the manufacturer. Many do not provide 64-bit
    drivers, and on the other hand many are designed to use the default drivers
    for usb devices.

    John Barnes, Feb 24, 2008

  3. Turtlescout

    waxace Guest

    I am running a very powerful 64 bit system that I built and I have no issues
    with My Canon or Olympus or any other cameras I attach to the system through
    USB 2.0.
    Now, the Olympus and others show as their own drive and named so.
    The Canon just hooked right up and is a drive on it's own not like the others.
    Taking the cards out of each instead of hooking them up through USB as I
    stated before, I plug the cards into a universal reader OR my printer gives
    me no issues at all.
    I have to assume that you have a driver issue although most cameras install
    the drivers when they are connected.
    I suggest you go to the site of your camera and check for new updated
    drivers and/or 64bit drivers.
    It is possible that the camera you have will not work on a 64bit system.
    With that said, I want to say that even though I have a fast and powerful
    system, it STILL should not make a difference. There are a lot of programs
    (More each week) that are updating to 64bit and even the ones that are not
    seem to run in a lot of cases along side of 64bit....
    --
    JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG....
    WAXACE

    waxace, Feb 24, 2008
  4. Turtlescout

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Turtlescout.

    My Vista Ultimate x64 sees both my Nikon camera and my SD card reader just
    fine.

    Tell us more about your card reader: Is it built into your computer? If
    not, what is the make and model? Is it plugged directly into a USB port, or
    into a hub? If it plugs directly into the computer, then Vista's built-in
    drivers should work, but if it uses a hub, you may need drivers for that
    hub. Does this reader work with another computer?

    You should be able to see this card reader in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)
    and assign it a "drive" letter to use (semi-)permanently, each time you
    remove and re-insert it into the USB port.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 25, 2008
  5. Turtlescout

    Sov Guest

    I don't know if this is related or not, but I had a lot of problem with USB
    and 1394 devices after installing Vista64.

    I am new to Vista so I am not sure which drivers I should be installing or
    what the differences are, but I was able to fix both my USB and 1394 issues
    by installing drivers from the Winsxs folder.

    There are drivers in three different folders (drivers, driverstore, and
    winsxs); perhaps someone here can explain their differences.

    --Sov

    Sov, Feb 25, 2008
  6. Turtlescout

    Turtlescout Guest

    What I ended up doing, is pluging in my devivce. My Panasonic camera and my
    genaric card reader, and restart my computer with the Vista disk in the
    drive. I then canceled the "locate Driver" window and it see it as a mass
    storage device. Its a little messy to do it this way, but its better than
    ditching everything and going back to 32bit (maybe)
    Thanks

    Turtlescout, Feb 26, 2008
  7. Turtlescout

    Sov Guest

    You can try installing new drivers in /windows/system32/driverstore or winsxy.

    Don't let Vista search though because it won't find it. What you need to do
    is install them manually (i.e., type in the location path)....

    c:/windows/system32/driverstore

    or

    c:/windows/system32/winsxs

    I worked for me....