Vista 64 trade down

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Pete Shields, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. Pete Shields

    Pete Shields Guest

    I have kept the faith in Vista 64 since it's release but alas the majority of
    my hardware - Ipod Nano, Sony camera & camcorder, Archos, various phones,
    memory cards, memory sticks and USB hubs fail to be recognised. They all work
    flawlessly on the second PC running XP home edition.
    Manufacturers just don't support this operating system and are not at all
    interested in supporting it.
    It's a shame, as the rest of it seems stable on my AMD 3800 x 2 system.

    My version of Vista is a 64 bit premium OEM version. Does anybody know
    whether Microsoft can offer me some sort of discount/trade in on the 32bit
    version?
    Don't want to have to shell out again for another version of windows

    Does Mr Gates have an obligation to give me a system that will communicate
    better with the outside world? Several items of hardware that I name above
    are current state of the art products.All I read from MS is that it is the
    hardware manufacturer's fault and you should contact them...

    Or is there something better coming along for Vista 64, which will correct
    the problem?

    Pete Shields, Dec 11, 2007

  2. Your only recourse with OEM is to hope the OEM supplier will do a swap.
    Microsoft's involvement ends with selling it to the OEM.

    FWIW, my iPod Nano works just fine. Well, OK, it doesn't burn CDs because
    their software doesn't support that in 64bit. But honestly I don't care.
    Everything else works. As for USB hubs, flash memory drives, etc? no issue
    at all.

    Also, let's be very clear. Mr. Gates is no longer actively managing MS.
    Hasn't for several years.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Pete Shields

    Carlos Guest

    Also my cell phone works flawlessly with Windows Vista x64.
    It is an W510 Motorola.
    Motorola has excellent driver support for their phones on both x86 and x64
    systems here:
    http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/USB_Drivers/
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 11, 2007
  4. Pete Shields

    Pete Shields Guest

    Pete Shields, Dec 11, 2007
  5. Pete Shields

    Clayton Guest

    Charlie, I'm using iTunes v7.3.1.3 with the 64-bit GEAR drivers and works
    fine, tried installing v7.5 and couldn't use the CD so went back to v7.3

    Clayton, Dec 12, 2007
  6. yeah, I thought i remembered that it had worked at one point. Or rather that
    I hadn't gotten the annoying "not installed correctly" messages. I don't use
    my iPod for anything except listening to Audible books, so I don't actually
    care. My portable music is mostly in .wma format, so gets stuck on my zune.
    Which is NOT getting upgraded to the new software, thank you.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 12, 2007
  7. Pete Shields

    S.SubZero Guest

    I have an iPod Nano (The previous generation) and it worked fine in
    Vista X64. I could use iTunes, which I did to update the iPod
    firmware a couple of times, but usually I used Winamp for moving songs
    to it. Neither required anything special to work in Vista X64. The
    iPod Touch however is known to not be friendly to 64-bit Windows.

    Not sure about memory sticks, I only have a 1GB flash card from my
    camera (Canon) which works perfectly in Vista X64. The camera also
    worked fine for moving and manipulating photos over USB.

    "Mr. Gates" is not personally responsible for providing drivers for
    every single known device in the universe. The manufacturers have to
    step up and deliver drivers as well. For Microsoft to develop drivers
    for every single possible device ever conceived since the invention of
    the computer would take thousands of programmers years and years.
    Vista would also end up costing $46,000.

    S.SubZero, Dec 12, 2007
  8. Pete Shields

    Jacob2000 Guest

    I remember the same thing being said of windows 95 and windows xp. The
    predecessors to these, aka windows 3.1 and windows 98 respectively, had a lot
    of problems upgrading hardware to the former. In those days, there really
    wasnt much of the internet going on, but was working in retail. I constantly
    heard from customers back then that their hardware wouldnt work. They also
    had to upgrade their hardware, surprisingly just like we are having to do
    today.

    So yah, more people are using the technology which is why you are hearing
    more complaints, but I think that its a result of people having too high of
    expectations, and right or wrong, microsoft hasnt done enough to explain the
    issue that you might have to buy newer hardware to take advantage of the
    software upgrades...

    Jacob2000, Dec 13, 2007