vista 64 - mouse pointer stuck in top left corner of screen

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by liquidstool, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. liquidstool

    liquidstool Guest

    hey all

    yesterday i had to reinstall vista due to hdd failure, i reinstalled no
    problems and to reward myself thought i'd play call of duty, excellent no
    problems there.

    Today i thought i'd kick some butt again and now disaster!

    My mouse pointer refuses to move from the top left corner of the screen on
    the main menu of call of duty. I also tried Call of duty UO and lo, the
    same problem - not happy.

    I've made no changes to anything, other than downloaded and installed SP1
    after my game last night.

    I don't know if it's anything to do with my screen settings, currently the
    resolution is set to 1680x1050 but i'm sure that yesterday it was set
    2080xsomething.

    i did mess around with the dpi because on some programs, nero, windows mail
    the text seemed blurry.

    anyone offer any advice?

    thx

    liquidstool, Jun 22, 2008

  2. liquidstool

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Is it a wireless mouse?
    Have you checked the batteries?
    Try another mouse or check your mouse in another PC.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 22, 2008

  3. Good suggestions, Carlos. Also, failing anything else, go into the device
    manager and delete the mouse entirely. Then allow Windows to re-detect it
    and re-load any special drivers it uses.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 22, 2008
  4. I just went through that with a ps/2 mouse. I tried another mouse and no
    problem so I chucked the ps/2 mouse for a new one and that also was fine. I
    also suspect the mouse.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 23, 2008
  5. liquidstool

    liquidstool Guest

    Well thx for yor suggestions but none of them worked.

    I did some experimenting and found that by changing the DPI to 96dpi and
    then rebooting, the problem disappeared, however this does not explain why i
    have never had this problem before, also as 96dpi is too small for me, i have
    to go thru this sequence everytime i want to play COD - which is frequently!

    My screen setings via my NVIDIA control panel suggest that i am using my
    monitor's native resolution of 1680x1050 and that i use my monitors inbuilt
    scaling (22" Samsung SyncMaster Plus 2232BW Pebble) My dispplay settings via
    personalization show that the desktop is extended.

    Given what i've discovered, i still feel that the problem is not the mouse
    or drivers but rather is in some way connected to the display settings.

    Any further useful info?

    liquidstool, Jun 24, 2008
  6. If you are of some considerable age, like myself, I think 1680x1050 on a 22"
    could be a bit hard to decipher. Try setting it to 1280x800 (it is a
    widescreen, isn't it? - otherwise try 1280x960!).

    The default 'dpi' of standard monitors is usually either 96 or 72, making
    changes to the 'dpi' can result in strange font rendering, the 'dpi' is
    calculated from the geometrics of the physical screen, so I would recommend
    experimenting, changing the resolution which will keep the 'dpi' and your
    font rendering at something readable. (Hopefully?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 26, 2008