    normally. I also checked if the BIOS recognized the new memory and it did.
    The problem appears to begin after I get the initial moving bar at the
    beginning of the windows boot process.

    =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=, Oct 24, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Did you try it with just the two 1 GB memory sticks? Do check the
    motherboard manual, either your hard copy or on-line, to assure you have
    them in the correct slots.

    Tom
    MSMVP Windows 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Oct 24, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

    Theo Guest

    My first thoughts are whether the RAM is 'matched' or not.
    Virtually all the newer motherboards currently require that
    all the RAM installed be 'matched' and the best way to
    accomplish that is to make sure all the modules are from the
    same manufacturer and they all have the same timing specs.
    It usually doesn't cause problems being different sizes,
    i.e. 1 GB & 512 MB modules, but when you start mixing speeds
    and/or timing you can end up in situations where your
    computer won't "act right."

    Theo, Oct 24, 2007
  4. Yes I tried it with only the Gigabyte modules as well as each of the modules
    with the 512 MB modules. I also tried them in different slots. The MB
    doesn't care what slot is used as long as there is a module in at least one.
    The problem is in Vista since the BIOS recognizes the memory amounts. Things
    don't get slow until Vista starts to boot. Then all bets are off.

    =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=, Oct 25, 2007
  5. Am not sure if the diferent Sizes or manufacturers are the problem. The BIOS
    recognizes the memory amount. If I use the 2 - 512 MB sticks and one of the
    1 GB sticks Vista will boot alright. If I move this combination into
    diffrent slots Vista will boot. The timing parameters of all of the modules
    are the same. The system just won't seem to boot when I insert 2 of the 1 GB
    modules along with the 2 512MB modules. Think I'll install a Linux Partition
    on this system and see if the problem pesists.

    =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=, Oct 25, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

    Theo Guest

    I just looked at one of my owner's manuals and it also
    cautions that ALL the modules must be the "same type and
    density" or instability may happen. And all three of my
    motherboards recommend using modules all from the same
    manufacturer.

    When you have 3 modules your memory if being used in the
    single channel mode and the differences are not critical.
    When you have all 4 modules the memory is in the
    dual-channel mode and ALL parameters of the memory are VERY
    critical for it to function properly.

    The memory being recognized by the BIOS does NOT ensure it
    will function properly with any operating system. It just
    means it recognizes the memory - nothing else.

    Theo, Oct 25, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

    Theo Guest

    The other thing to check is what memory is recommended by
    the manufacturer of the motherboard. I have a MSI K8T Neo2
    board that will not boot with 2 1gb sticks of Patriot DRAM,
    but has not problem with Kingston which is one of the MSI
    recommended modules. The Patriot works flawlessly in my
    Asus A8V & Asus A8V-XE boards.

    Your problem is caused by the memory combination you are using.

    You can continue to beat your head against a brick wall if
    you want, but I guarantee it will feel really good when you
    stop!!

    Theo, Oct 25, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

    Mark Guest

    While Vista has a built-in memory diagnostic tool, it doesn't sound like you
    can get that far.

    Two options I think are available:
    1) Safe Boot to Command Prompt, then use mdsched.exe (memory diagnostic
    tool) to check for problems.
    2) Go here and download the prior version, put on CD or Floppy and run:
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Microsoft claims there are not known issues with this routine, but there are
    a couple of googled hits on a unique problem where the tool gets into a loop
    during it's initial test and will not exit. This is during a forced run
    while Vista is up. I do not know if this routine runs during startup when
    additional memory is detected. But, there may be a link between the two.

    Mark, Oct 25, 2007
  9. Memory maker is good. Manual does not require same memory manufacturer for
    all modules. MB is spec'ed for 32 GB Max using 4 8 GB modules. I can use
    the 512 MB Modules with one of the 1 GB modules with no problem.

    Sorry for the long time for this answer. I repartitioned the drive and
    installed Open Suse Linux 10.3 64. I then installed all of the RAM modules
    and booted the system into Linux. It booted fine. I then restarted the
    system into Vista and the problem was there.

    I understand about the MSI requirement for memory. I used to have one on
    the system last year. There are some others too. I also have seen boards
    refuse to run with various individual products. This usually manifests
    itself by not working alone or with other brands. In my case the the two
    different brands will work as long as I don't exceed 2 GB. As soon as I try
    to get to 3 GB all bets are off.

    No, I'm not going to beat my head against a brick wall. I am now just
    trying to see where the problem lies. When a different OS worked it makes me
    look carefully at Vista.

    =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=, Oct 28, 2007
  10. Thanks, Your right about not making it very far into the boot process. I
    get about 6 seconds into the vista boot process when the screen goes black
    and stays that way for 20 or more minutes. Now that I thinlk of it, maybe I
    am getting to the memory test part of Vista. I would think it would occur
    early in the boot process. I'm not sure if I can get into safe mode either.
    The floppy idea may be the best bet.

    I'll check and let you know later.

    jim

    =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=, Oct 28, 2007
  11. Mark, Tried the windiag option using the normal mode and the extended test.
    Ran the normal test for 4 passes and the extended test for 2 passes. There
    were no errors. I tried to run option 1 with a modification. Vista wouldn't
    boot to Safe mode with the extra memory installed. So I booted to safe mode
    with 2 GB of memory installed. Executed the program. The program required
    that the computer shut down and restart and the test would be run on the
    restart. I restarted and during restart shut the system down and added the
    extra memory and restarted. The test ran and no errors wwere detected.
    However, when the system tried to reboot it hung up and the report could not
    be displayed.

    Thanks for the info on windiag. One point though. Windiag does not need to
    be run from a bootable floppy. Just execute mtinst and it will offer a
    create floppy option. The floppy created by this option will only contain a
    file called windiag. Inserting that floppy into your system with the floppy
    specified as the prime boot device will result in the tests being run. For
    some reason I was thinking that I had to have a MSDOS boot floppy to run
    Windiag. After some failures I decided to read the instructions again (what
    a concept!). Thought the problem is still there I am pretty sure that the
    Motherboard recognizes the 3GB of memory. Vista seems to be having a problem
    with the different manufacturers for some reason. I have an Open Suse Linux
    10.3 partition on this system and it has no problem with the additional
    memory. I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with Vista
    activation. I don't see any indications that there is a need to reactivate
    the OS, however.

    jim

    =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=, Oct 29, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

    Dshai Guest

    A thought, on some boards, though not all, you have to alternate slots on
    memory, ie: slots 1 & 3 and slots 2 & 4, perhaps trying this configuration
    will allow for a successful boot into Vista.

    --
    Dshai

    Life is limited only by those living it...

    Dshai, Nov 4, 2007