Vista 64 compatibility?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Scotter, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. Scotter

    Scotter Guest

    Building a new computer.
    Bought Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

    Does that OS have a compatibility mode for 32-bit software? Or do I need to
    run 64-bit versions of everything? Will using the 64-bit version of Vista
    severely limit what software I can use? Here are some of the programs I can
    think of now:

    MS Office 2003
    MS Visual Studio 2005
    FTP Voyager
    Boxer Text Editor
    Nero
    Photoshop CS2
    Illustrator CS2
    Acrobat
    Flash 8
    Poser 7
    Game: Supreme Commander
    Game: Planetside
    iTunes
    Fraps

    Oh and I suppose I'll switch from Outlook to the mail program built into
    Vista... ? Anything you all want to share about that? For one, does that
    mail program have a built-in spam-checker? If so, how effective have you all
    found it to be? If it doesn't, is there a 3rd-party spam-checker that works
    with the 64-bit Vista mail program?

    Thanks for any info/advice you can give! (I'm going to do a lot of Googling
    now to see what I can learn while I hope for response to this post)
    --
    Scotter

    --
    Scotter

    Scotter, Feb 27, 2007

  2. Scotter

    Derek meier Guest

    Windows x64 will run your 32bit software for the most part. You'd have a
    tough time running just x64 apps since there are not very many.From your
    list I know I only use Nero and you will have to download the latest from
    their website for vista compatibility. Itunes may possibly have issues with
    Vista. On the rest you will have to either load them and try or google to
    find peoples experiences with them.

    Derek meier, Feb 27, 2007

  3. I am running 64 bit Vista Ultimate, had not problems with Office 2003
    Acrobat. I have not tried any other programs yet.

    Xbox Live Fan, Feb 28, 2007
  4. * Scotter:

    > Building a new computer.
    > Bought Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
    >
    > Does that OS have a compatibility mode for 32-bit software?

    Yes.

    > Or do I need to
    > run 64-bit versions of everything?

    No.

    > Will using the 64-bit version of Vista
    > severely limit what software I can use?

    Yes. No 16bit programs (and this includes 32bit programs that come with
    16bit installers), no programs that only come with 32bit drivers...

    > Here are some of the programs I can
    > think of now:

    [snip]

    > iTunes

    No iTunes for 64bit Windows. The last iTunes version that runs on 64bit
    Windows is 6.0.4 which is outdated and suffers from several security
    holes...

    > Oh and I suppose I'll switch from Outlook to the mail program built into
    > Vista... ?

    What for? Windows Mail is just a pimped Outlook Express. Why give up
    Outlook for that?

    > Anything you all want to share about that?

    Do you have any native x64 programs or more than 4GB RAM? If not then
    you will be much better suited with 32bit Vista...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 28, 2007
  5. I can't promote using Vista64 myself, since I'm still questioning whether we
    have a need yet for a 64bit OS. But since you listed some things that might
    actually need greater than 4GB of ram, I'll skip my thoughts on that.
    Currently I triple boot between XP, Vista32 and Vista64

    I mostly game, and I have Supreme Commander, it's a Games for Windows games,
    which means it should work under Vista64 as well. Check the Tech Support
    forums and you'll see there is problems with SupCom in general so hard to
    know where the problem is, but under Vista 64, Ive gotten 2 BSODs and 2 CTDs
    .. Under XP and Vista32 no BSODS and only 1 CTD.

    Office 2003 works fine, though Outlook is all I really use.

    I used FRAPS 2.8.2 and it would give me BSODs when playing Battlefield 2142
    for more than 45 mins. Stopped using FRAPs and the BSODs went away

    Dale M. White, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Scotter

    Scotter Guest

    Thanks for all the great info!
    Yeah, I purchased 8 gig of RAM for this new machine and I want/need to use
    all of it.
    That is my number one reason for moving into a 64-bit OS.
    Glad you illluminated that mail program.
    So it does not have a calendar?
    I actually preferred many things about Outlook Express and only reason I
    moved to Outlook was for the calendar. Outlook's way of handling contacts
    frustrates me. But if the new Windows Mail in Vista doesn't have a calendar
    then I'll stick with Outlook. I suppose that will make moving all my rules,
    etc. easier?

    --
    Scotter
    -

    Scotter, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Scotter

    John Barnes Guest

    Windows Mail does have a calendar

    John Barnes, Mar 1, 2007
  8. Scotter

    Scotter Guest

    Ah! Has anyone here played with Vista Mail?
    Impressions?
    I'm going to go Google "reviews of Vista Mail" now to see what I can find.

    --
    Scotter
    -

    Scotter, Mar 2, 2007
  9. Scotter

    Nut Cracker Guest

    "Scotter" <> wrote in message
    > Ah! Has anyone here played with Vista Mail?
    > Impressions?
    > I'm going to go Google "reviews of Vista Mail" now to see what I can find.

    im not impressed. things i could do in OE without any issue (IMAP to
    Exchange 2003 servers) wouldnt work in VM. Also, usenet posts i make with VM
    are not visible to my OE install on another machine.

    it defaults to sync every message in every folder when you use IMAP. I
    presonally dont like that, since i didnt want to sync 8GB of data. I had to
    manually uncheck 400+ imap folders (exchange public folders).

    Its ONLY virtue, in my opinion, is that it still does newsgroups.

    Nut Cracker, Mar 2, 2007
  10. Scotter

    John Barnes Guest

    Makes Windows Live Mail Desktop look like a good choice. Several advantages
    there, including my hotmail accounts again available.

    John Barnes, Mar 2, 2007
  11. Does WLMD do newsgroups?
    I no longer trust Windows Mail.

    Gary VanderMolen

    Gary VanderMolen, Mar 2, 2007
  12. Scotter

    DGuess Guest

    yes

    It's built uponOE as well.

    DGuess, Mar 2, 2007
  13. Scotter

    mikeyhsd Guest

    what is there to trust or not trust about a news reader.

    @sport.rr.com

    mikeyhsd, Mar 2, 2007
  14. Actually, I was mainly worried about the integrity of my
    WinMail store of emails, but I wouldn't even bother to try
    an alternate like WLMD if it didn't do newsgroups.

    Gary VanderMolen

    Gary VanderMolen, Mar 3, 2007
  15. Scotter

    John Barnes Guest

    So, exactly why don't you trust WinMail store of emails? Put them where you
    want them, back them up if you want to. Same as OE.

    John Barnes, Mar 3, 2007
  16. Scotter

    mikeyhsd Guest

    the file structure has been dramatically changed in WM in attempt to get rid of the problems that existed with the old format.

    still need to use some reasonable precautions.
    like do not save mail in INBOX, but create user folders and move mail to them.
    NEVER, NEVER interrupt the compacting .

    @sport.rr.com

    mikeyhsd, Mar 3, 2007
  17. Scotter

    Nonymous Guest

    Benjamin Gawert <> wrote in news:OOTJWN5WHHA.4132
    @TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

    > * Scotter:

    >> iTunes

    > No iTunes for 64bit Windows. The last iTunes version that runs on 64bit
    > Windows is 6.0.4 which is outdated and suffers from several security
    > holes...

    iTunes 7 runs fine on my Vista x64 install.

    There are known compatibility problems with Vista versus iTunes7 (which I
    haven't encountered), but it affects both 32bit and 64bit Vista, not just
    64bit.

    Nonymous, Mar 3, 2007