    All of my equipment supports 64 bit.
    --
    Ric Thomas

    ricsgone, May 19, 2008

  2. Going to 64-bit requires a clean install of the 64-bit OS.
    There is no capability to upgrade the 32-bit OS to the
    64-bit version.

    Bobby Johnson, May 19, 2008

  3. ricsgone

    ricsgone Guest

    I was under the assumption (maybe a poor choice of wording) that when you
    upgrade to Win Vista, it gives you a choice of doing a clean install instead
    of the upgrade. The install guide notes that a clean install can be done
    under four different scenarios and then gives instructions if you have an
    upgrade copy of Windows Vista by telling you that you have to start the
    upgrade from within Windows choosing CUSTOM during the install.
    --
    Ric Thomas

    ricsgone, May 19, 2008
  4. ricsgone

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ric.

    I just want to echo what Bobby said and add: There's no UPGRADE path from
    ANY 32-bit to ANY 64-bit operating system - or vice-versa. A clean install
    is not just recommended; it's required. It's a hardware platform thing.
    :>(

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 19, 2008
  5. ricsgone

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi (again), Ric.

    Correct. And I think if you go a bit further, you will see that a Custom
    install is essentially a Clean install.

    You might want to read this page:
    http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/vista_upgrade_installation.htm

    It was the first hit when I Googled for "vista +'custom install'".

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 19, 2008
  6. ricsgone

    ricsgone Guest

    Thanks R.C. I had planned on doing a clean install since I just built this
    and there's really nothing to back up as far as files, settings, etc. I
    guess I just need to understand whether I will still be able to to a clean
    install from Vista 32 to Vista 64 when the DVD arrives or just bag it and
    wait till it arrives before moving from XP to Vista 64.
    --
    Ric Thomas

    ricsgone, May 19, 2008
  7. ricsgone

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ric.

    If you are like me, you'll want to install Vista x86 and play with it while
    waiting for the x64 DVD. ;^} But when x64 arrives, I would backup any DATA
    (not apps - those will have to be installed again from original media
    anyhow) that I wanted to keep, then do a clean-from-scratch install of x64
    by booting from the x64 DVD and following the prompts - including
    reformatting the drive.

    I hope you don't have to wait TOO long for the x64 DVD. That's a lot of
    great hardware just sitting there waiting to be put to use. ;^)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 19, 2008
  8. You will get the choice between upgrade or custom when both the old XP and
    the new Vista are 32bit. When going from the old XP to a new Vista 64bit
    the upgrade option will be greyed out.

    You will not be able to run the Vista x64 Setup from the XP desktop like you
    would the Vista x86 Setup. You will have to boot the computer with the x64
    dvd. Upgrade is never an option when booting with the media, not even in
    XP.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 19, 2008
  9. It took me about a week from the order to delivery (twice) so you would not
    have to wait very long.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 19, 2008
  10. Specifically, the x64 setup is a 64bit program and cannot run on x86 so x64
    has to be installed by booting with the dvd. Upgrade is never an option
    when booting from the media, even when using 32bit setup in XP. The way
    upgrade works in setup, the OS being upgraded has to be running to do an
    upgrade in place.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 19, 2008
  11. ricsgone

    Jim Guest

    Just so I understand...I have Vista Ultimate 32 upgrade which has the 64 bit
    DVD upgrade but how exactly do I go to Vista 64 bit?
    You can only install a 64 bit over a 64 bit? If so what do I need to buy.
    I have a full version of Vista Home premium and the upgrade verison on Vista
    Utlimate.
    Thanks

    Jim, Jul 1, 2008
  12. Let's sort this out.

    Upgrade edition refers to a kind of license. The same upgrade edition
    product key will work with both the x86 dvd and the x64 dvd, your choice.
    You are licensed to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. That means that you can
    replace any Windows from Windows 2000 to the present with VU.

    Since you want to go from x86 to x64 you are not upgrading the software.
    Instead, you are replacing the x86 software with x64 software by
    reinstalling Windows using an x64 dvd. Going from x86 to x64 is really
    called a migration rather than upgrade.

    A Vista Ultimate upgrade edition product key allows you to replace your
    Vista Home Premium x86 with either Vista Ultimate x86 if you use the x86 dvd
    or Vista Ultimate x64 by using the x64 dvd, your choice.

    To install Vista Ultimate x64 you will have to boot the computer with the
    x64 dvd, enter your Vista Ultimate upgrade edition product key, and install
    Vista Ultimate over the Vista Home Premium already on the computer. This is
    not a problem. This is how it works. You have the choice, after entering
    the upgrade product key, of using the Vista disk tools first to remove the
    Vista Home Premium from the computer before installing Ultimate x64, but
    that is not necessary.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2008
  13. ricsgone

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jim.

    "Upgrade" has two meanings in this context.

    First meaning is the licensing. By buying the upgrade package, you have the
    right to upgrade to Vista (either 32-bit or 64-bit) from WinXP or any other
    qualifying product.

    Second is the actual process of installing the new operating system to
    replace the old (and retire your right to continue to use the qualifying
    product).

    Because of basic hardware differences, which require different drivers and
    other low-level support, you cannot boot into any 32-bit OS and run the
    64-bit Setup.exe from there. To run 64-bit Setup, you must boot into a
    64-bit system. This can be WinXP x64, if you already have it installed in
    your computer. But the most common way to boot into the 64-bit platform is
    from the 64-bit Vista DVD.

    So, as Colin told the OP, you cannot "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit in the
    sense of just replacing your 32-bit OS files with 64-bit equivalents while
    leaving your existing applications, settings, etc., in place. You MUST do a
    clean install (a "custom install"), starting by reformatting the system
    partition after Setup "sees" the installed 32-bit system just long enough to
    verify that you are eligible to use the Upgrade package. The Upgrade
    package saves you money; it does not save you time in migrating from 32-bit
    to 64-bit. You must reformat your system partition and reinstall your
    applications.

    So, first backup all your data and any applications that you don't have CDs
    or other media for. Then boot from the 64-bit DVD to start Setup. Let it
    detect the existence of the qualifying product. Then let it reformat the
    partition and install 64-bit Vista. Finally, reinstall your applications
    and restore your data files.

    You COULD upgrade your 32-bit Vista Home Premium to 32-bit Vista Ultimate.
    But then you would need to go through the same steps (boot from 64-bit DVD,
    reformat, install 64-bit Vista Ultimate, and reinstall apps) to get from
    32-bit Ultimate to 64-bit Ultimate. The hurdle is NOT in going from Home to
    Ultimate; it's in going from 32-bit to 64-bit.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 1, 2008
  14. ricsgone

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 01/07/2008 in message
    <> R. C. White wrote:

    >"Upgrade" has two meanings in this context.

    [snipped but saved]

    Now that post should be in a FAQ, it's the clearest explanation I've seen
    about moving from 32 bit to 64 bit, thank you RCW :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 1, 2008
  15. ricsgone

    Jim Guest

    thank you for such a full explainion.

    Just so I understand my options. As I said my Vista Ultimate is an upgrade
    version.
    And I am running the 32bit ver.
    IF I load my 64bit version will it allow me to install the 64 bit ver by
    reformatting and doing a clean install (and I would save my files on another
    hard drive).
    Will it do a full install even though it would not see a previous 64bit OS,
    just my 32 bit ver.
    In other words will it install as a full version by reforming the hard drive
    and doing a clean install. Does it need to see a older 64bit version first?
    Will it give me that choice?

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 1, 2008
  16. ricsgone

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jim.

    The 64-bit upgrade needs to see a qualifying product already installed.
    That product does NOT need to be a 64-bit version.

    We probably should have just sent you to this KB article in the first place,
    Jim:
    Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

    But there is a wrinkle in that KB that I was not aware of - and it might
    cause you a problem.

    > And I am running the 32bit ver.

    The 32-bit version of WHAT? Vista Home Premium x86? You've mentioned
    several versions and said you HAVE them, but I don't think you've said
    clearly what version is currently INSTALLED - what you plan to upgrade FROM.
    What version was pre-installed on the computer when you bought it, if any?
    Some of the rules are quite different for OEM versions of Windows/Vista.

    In the KB article, first there is the section that I was thinking of,
    dealing with "upgrading" from WinXP x86:

    <paste>
    Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a
    32-bit version of Windows XP or of Windows 2000
    Most Windows XP and Windows 2000 users have the 32-bit version of these
    operating systems. For example, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows
    Tablet Edition and Windows Media Center Edition only come in 32-bit
    versions. For these operating systems, there is no upgrade installation path
    available when you upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit
    operating system. However, you can perform a custom installation that uses
    an upgrade license.

    After you purchase a Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:
    1. Back up all the data and the settings by using Windows XP Backup.

    Note You can also use Windows Easy Transfer. This back up program is
    available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use the version that
    is on the 32-bit Windows Vista DVD if you want to use Windows Easy Transfer
    to back up a 32-bit version of Windows.

    2. Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and
    then restart the computer.
    3. Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted.

    Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the
    Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit
    operating system.

    4. When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select
    Custom as the installation type.
    5. After installation is complete, you can restore the data from its backup
    location.
    </paste>

    But then there is this section, which seems to fit YOUR situation:

    <paste>
    Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on computer that is running a
    32-bit version of Windows Vista
    If you have purchased an Upgrade license together with a Windows Vista DVD,
    you must use one of the following methods.
    Method 1
    Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
    Method 2
    1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
    2. Install Windows XP.
    3. Install the 64-bit version of Windows Vista by using an installation
    method that is listed earlier in this article.
    </paste>

    This seems to say that you MUST revert from Vista x86 to WinXP before
    installing Vista x64! :>(

    Maybe Colin (or Darrell) can explain this part.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 1, 2008
  17. ricsgone

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jeff.

    Thanks for the kind words. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 1, 2008
  18. You're welcome.

    The clarifications.

    >IF I load my 64bit version will it allow me to install the 64 bit ver by
    > reformatting and doing a clean install (and I would save my files on
    > another
    > hard drive).

    You are not required to reformat and do a clean install in the classic
    sense. It is not necessary but it will be available to you. If you do not
    use the disk tools at all but just follow the instructions you will see
    still see the same two options, upgrade (disabled in the present case) and
    custom. Custom will roll up the old 32bit Windows into windows.old files
    and then install the 64bit Windows. You can deal with the windows.old
    folders later or not as you wish.

    You will also have the option of using the disk tools if you wish before
    installing the 64bit Windows in which case there will be no windows.old
    folders afterwards. The simplest is to just follow the steps and not worry
    about reformatting and such. Some people think you have to do a classic
    clean install because they always did with earlier Windows. But the Vista
    installer works differently from any earlier version and not reformatting
    does not have the same issues. In other words, you can't get hurt either
    way now.

    > Will it do a full install even though it would not see a previous 64bit
    > OS,
    > just my 32 bit ver.

    Vista Setup immediately scans the computer for existing Windows as soon as
    you enter the upgrade edition product key. It is very nearly instantaneous.
    It doesn't care about the bitness. It finds the existing Windows and then
    just lets you proceed. No messages. From that moment on Setup doesn't care
    about the existing Windows anymore. It has satisfied itself that you
    qualify to perform an installation using the upgrade pk. It doesn't check
    again. From that point on it just lets you get on with things your own way.
    It doesn't matter if you remove the existing Windows after the verification
    of your pk because Vista Setup is not going to look for it again.

    > In other words will it install as a full version by reforming the hard
    > drive
    > and doing a clean install. Does it need to see a older 64bit version
    > first?
    > Will it give me that choice?

    If you use an upgrade pk Setup does need to see an existing Windows but it
    does not have to be 64bit and it does not have to keep seeing it all through
    the installation process. All the existing Windows has to be is Windows
    2000 Professional or later, any bitness.

    All installations of Vista are clean installations of the operating system.
    As I said, Vista Setup uses an imaging technology in which the formatting is
    inherent in the image. Setup will only reformat the rest of the drive if it
    is not already formatted NTFS or if you use the disk tools to do it before
    confirming installation. Setup will give you choices about where to
    install Windows if more than one partition is available.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2008
  19. ricsgone

    Jim Guest

    Thank you, I will read it. And thank you for your clear info. It is MOST
    helpful!

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 1, 2008
  20. ricsgone

    Jim Guest

    Well I did fhally get the 64bit to install but it was draining. Each time I
    tired to do a clean install Vista Ultimate 64 would say I did not have a
    genuine copy of windows installed, which was not true but after 4 different
    department calls to Microsoft I was handed off to India and the guy stayed
    with me thru the whole install.
    No one know why it did not see a real copy of Vista but he changed the key
    and reset it back to the original. In any case it is working...sort of..
    My problem now is ...and I am not sure this is the right forum so maybe you
    can point me in the right direction.
    Vista Ultimate will only see 4 gb of my ram instead of the 8 I have and even
    tho I download the 64bit drivers for my Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, Vista only
    see's that is a Nivdia card but only gives me a 1 on the graphics index which
    is not even close to the 5.7 I should have.
    So perhaps you could tell me where to solve this as well?

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 2, 2008