  1. I was wondering what Vista 32 bit does with all of the extra memory that it
    is'nt to use. And what is the Max again?

    Zachary
    Zachary Gudmundsson, Feb 17, 2008

  2. Memory limits:

    Vista x86 is 4GB (all editions except Starter, which is 1GB).

    Vista x86 installed on a computer with more than 4GB will still only use
    4GB.

    Vista x64 Home Basic is 8GB. Vista x64 Home Premium is 16GB. Vista x64
    Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate are 128GB.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 17, 2008

  3. Zachary Gudmundsson

    John Barnes Guest

    Any memory out of address range just sits there.

    John Barnes, Feb 18, 2008
  4. Zachary Gudmundsson

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Colin
    Barnhorst" <> wrote:

    >Vista x86 installed on a computer with more than 4GB will still only use
    >4GB.

    Colin... You well know that no computer on the market will allow Vista
    x86 to access all 4GB of memory -- As a result, your advice is somewhere
    between misleading and actually deceptive.
    DevilsPGD, Feb 19, 2008
  5. What advice? It is straight out of Microsoft's documentation.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 19, 2008
  6. Don't confuse the amount of memory available for user programs with the
    memory limit of 32bit operating systems. The memory limit for 32bit Windows
    is 4GB.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 19, 2008
  7. I suspect he's referring to the hole that various hardware devices create
    above 3GB. In that sense, it's true that even the OS can't access that
    memory in Vista. (Though some Server OSs could get at that with /PAE, I
    think.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 19, 2008
  8. Zachary Gudmundsson

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Colin
    Barnhorst" <> wrote:

    >Don't confuse the amount of memory available for user programs with the
    >memory limit of 32bit operating systems. The memory limit for 32bit Windows
    >is 4GB.

    I'm not confusing user program memory space limits at all -- Due to the
    x86 architecture and the address space requirements by many peripherals
    (especially video cards), Vista cannot access all 4GB in any fashion,
    and on most systems somewhere between 400MB and 1.5GB of address is
    unavailable to be used by actual memory.
    DevilsPGD, Feb 20, 2008