    provides the disk free along with the 32 bit software. Maybe they hope if
    they get enough people complaining about it, the manufacturers will fall in
    line?

    Roy Laws, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Well, so far absolutely all of my hardware has drivers. But then, I buy my
    hardware with future proofing in mind. And I often refuse to buy from any
    vendor who is slow to provide drivers for existing hardware. (And I have a
    very long memory.)

    Vista64 is not going away. It's not a lame duck, and the driver situation is
    already way better than XP x64. But by all means, let the manufacturers know
    that you're making buying decisions based on their support (or lack thereof)
    for 64bit. The more of us that do so, the sooner they'll get the message.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Roy Laws

    Carlos Guest

    Roy,
    On the antivirus side there are a lot of freeware (and good) alternatives
    for Vista x64.
    Personally I can recommend you Avast (www.avast.com) which has a freeware
    "home" version.
    Could you share with us which is your non working hardware?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 5, 2007
  4. Roy Laws

    Mike Douglas Guest

    Hi. I just wanted to make 2 points when trying to move to Vista X64.

    1. When I installed Vista X64 it installed every driver in my machine. Works
    flaweless.

    2. I knew there was X64 Vista drivers for my PC for all hardware because I
    downloaded/installed the Windows Vista Advisory Tool. Saved me lot's of time
    on wondering how my install would go.

    Thanks
    Mike D

    Mike Douglas, Dec 5, 2007
  5. Roy Laws

    XS11E Guest

    Roy Laws <> wrote:

    > I would really like to enjoy the "benefits" of 64 bit, but upon
    > installing it I found that absolutely NONE of my hardware
    > manufacturers provide 64 bit drivers, and even my anti-virus
    > programs will not work.

    Everything works for me, did you do your homework before installing?

    > Is this going to be a lame duck program as XP 64 bit turned out to
    > be?

    That's a pretty ridiculous statement since there's a bunch of folks
    here running XP 64 bit.

    > Maybe they hope if they get enough people complaining about it,
    > the manufacturers will fall in line?

    It can't hurt to tell the manufacturers that you want 64 bit drivers
    and software.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Dec 5, 2007
  6. Roy Laws

    Carlos Guest

    Mike,
    Most of the regulars in this NG have done the previous investigation
    homework before installing Vista x64.
    Most of those installs have been successful.
    It seems like the OP did it in a hurry and now he needs help, badly.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 6, 2007
  7. Roy Laws

    Clayton Guest

    Vista 64 Works fine on my Dell Precision 390

    Tell me what motherboard you have and other USB devices connected to it and
    I'll do my best in hunting down some 64-bit drivers for you

    Antivirus software is no big deal, just get another

    Clayton, Dec 6, 2007
  8. Roy Laws

    S.SubZero Guest

    On Dec 5, 11:50 am, Roy Laws <>
    wrote:
    > I found that absolutely NONE of my hardware manufacturers provide 64 bit
    > drivers

    I'd like to see your hardware list.

    S.SubZero, Dec 6, 2007
  9. Roy Laws

    Gary Mount Guest

    I just installed Windows Server 2008 64 bit (trial), the first 64 bit o/s I
    have ever tried on a new system which is also the first 64 bit cpu system I
    have ever had.
    It installed with more driver support "out of the box" than my other system
    with Vista 32 bit. The only device not recognized was the network adapter.
    But a Vista 64 bit driver is on the motherboard disk and installed just
    fine.
    I have found that any devices I have that don't have 64 bit Vista drivers
    also happen to have no 32 bit vista drivers either. An old scanner and a
    finger print scanner.
    So I might as well go the 64 bit route since I have 4GB of ram and can add
    4GB more.

    Gary Mount, Dec 10, 2007