Vista 64-bit SP2 and AMCC 9550SX RAID Controller Rebuilds

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jim, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I am running a 3Ware/AMCC 9550SX RAID controller in RAID 5 with 4 500
    GB Hitachi drives on a Tyan K8WE (S2895) motherboard with dual Opteron
    270s and 8 GB of RAM. My operating system is Windows Vista 64-bit
    with SP2 beta.

    I have always had shutdown problems with this system. It frequently
    locks up on shutdown, and I end up having either to rebuild or to
    verify the array upon reboot. It has done this twice this week
    alone. I generally have shutdown problems after installing new
    drivers for something (Logitech mouse, Video Card). I also have
    shutdown problems while playing Blu-ray discs, although I am sure that
    is because of the bleeding edge technology. (Approximately 50% of the
    discs play without problem, the other 50% cause at least one BSOD and
    I have to rebuild afterwards.)

    I am wondering whether all Vista 64-bit systems are sometimes unstable
    in shutdowns, or whether it is just the 3ware/AMCC 9550SX controller
    which is causing me the trouble? If it is Vista 64-bit then the
    controller having to rebuild/verify the drives is only a symptom of
    the instability of Vista 64-bit SP2 beta (although I had the problem
    with SP1 as well).

    Thank you! :)

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 6, 2009

  2. Jim

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    You probably knew this already, but no, not all Vista-64 systems are
    unstable at shutdown. I don't ever see that kind of issue on the 2 Vista-64
    SP1 systems here. I don't run service pack betas on my production systems,
    so it's possible that the AMCC drivers are not yet SP2-ready. Check with
    AMCC tech support.

    If your 8gb ram is 4 modules, some motherboards need bios settings to either
    increase the dram voltage and/or reduce the dram speed. The settings that
    are stable with 2 modules can be "not quite" stable with 4 modules. Given
    your report of other instabilities than just shutdown, I would try dropping
    the dram speed first, or increasing the voltage if your modules are rated
    for more than standard voltage.

    Paul Shapiro, Mar 6, 2009

  3. Jim

    Carlos Guest

    Jim,
    Have you checked here?
    http://www.3ware.com/support/download.asp
    for the latest drivers and firmware update for your card?
    Drivers are v 9.5.1.1 (Oct 08) and firmware is dated Aug 08.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 6, 2009
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Mar 6, 9:41 am, Carlos <> wrote:
    > Jim,
    > Have you checked here?http://www.3ware.com/support/download.asp
    > for the latest drivers and firmware update for your card?
    > Drivers are v 9.5.1.1 (Oct 08) and firmware is dated Aug 08.
    > Carlos

    Hi Carlos,

    I go *everywhere* at *least* once a month and replace old drivers.
    Windows autoupdate had given me newer drivers, so I kept those.Update
    said they were for my card.

    I may just live with the multiple rebuilds. This is *not* a "mission
    critical" machine.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 7, 2009
  5. Jim

    Carlos Guest

    Jim,
    Never, ever, prefer Windows Update drivers over the manufacturer official
    ones.
    This will not hurt, "update" your drivers to the older ones supplied by your
    manufacturer.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 7, 2009
  6. Well, almost never. The only way to get my Asus P5WD2 to work correctly in
    Win7 is to get the drivers from Windows update. The Asus ones won't install.
    ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 7, 2009
  7. Jim

    Carlos Guest

    Hi Charlie!
    It seems that Win 7 has done a good job with drivers.
    My notebook (HP530, 32-bit) runs with Win 7 embedded vanilla drivers
    flawlessly.
    In my x64 desktop I have only added ATI graphics and Realtek sound drivers
    from the manufacturer.
    Sound was (how can I explain it?) like an old 78 rpm record on a turntable
    until I upgraded to Realtek original Vista x64 drivers.
    I am using ATI 9.12's for Vista x64 with no issues. I preferred those
    because the Catalyst Control Center allows me to control fan speed.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 7, 2009
  8. My video cards are always fanless. I'll put up with a little less power to
    keep things quiet. I'm not a gamer anyway, so most of this is overkill.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 8, 2009
  9. Test Message please ignore. Testing something that you'll all really like
    when you see it...

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 9, 2009
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

    > > Have you checked here?http://www.3ware.com/support/download.asp
    > > for the latest drivers and firmware update for your card?
    > > Drivers are v 9.5.1.1 (Oct 08) and firmware is dated Aug 08.

    Carlos,

    I *finally* determined the *source* of the shutdown problems. It is
    Webroot Spysweeper 64-bit. It locks up in the background, and it does
    not allow Vista 64-bit to shut down. It is not the controller, rather
    that is only a symptom.

    I have always had shutdown problems with Spysweeper, but it is worse
    on a RAID system where I have to rebuild when it crashes in the
    background.

    Thank you again for your help! :)

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 16, 2009