Vista 64 Bit Home Premium Media Centre playing DVD's from HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by jwsplatjw, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. jwsplatjw

    jwsplatjw Guest

    I would like to migrate my DVD collection from my player to my PC. I would
    also like to get prepared for the migration to Blue Ray HD movies.

    I realize I will need to get some new Hardware like some very large HDD's
    and confirm that my nVidia 6800 SLI pair can give me 1920x1080 output. The
    harware is the easy part for me. Where I am lost is with the software. Can
    I place a DVD in my DVD drive and just click RIP in Media Player and rip it
    to my HDD? Do I need some special software to allow me to manage my
    collection? I would hope that I can use the Media Centre to manage the files
    once they are on the HDD. Has anyone tried this yet? It seems like a
    logical progression for me as I currently have my PC connected to my plasma
    display and use it via a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard from the sofa. My music
    collection can be accessed via MC though ripping is time consuming,
    especially vinyl. Once I manage to get all of my media onto Hard Drives I
    can eliminate extra pieces of hardware and using RF HID's for both Xbox and
    PC everything can be hidden away and I can live clutterless.

    Anyone with experience doing this who has some advice or some lessons
    learned please post a reply.

    Cheers!

    JW
    jwsplatjw, Jan 24, 2008

  2. jwsplatjw

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    For making backup copies of your legally owned DVDs I can recommend you
    DVDFab.
    It will make playable copies of your DVDs to the HD, preserving the DVD file
    structure.
    Additionaly, it can convert to AVI (XViD encoded) if you want so.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 24, 2008