vista 64 bit corrupt registry

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by RZOA, Feb 29, 2008.

  1. RZOA

    RZOA Guest

    Hi,

    6 months ago I bought vista home premium 64 bit. So I installed it without a
    problem and then proceeded to install the drivers for my hardware and also
    installed some software. Some installations displayed a message "this is not
    certified by windows" and I clicked "continue anyways". About 3 days later I
    turn on the computer and I get the BSOD with a message that my registry is
    corrupt. System restore or safe mode didn’t help and the only solution was to
    reinstall. This scenario happened 4 times in a row. the 4th time, I installed
    windows at night, went to sleep, turned it back on next morning and I got the
    BSOD, that’s when I gave up on it and returned to XP 32 bit. I honestly don’t
    know what is actually causing this, the unsigned drivers or maybe some bad
    windows update. I can’t remember which installation displayed the unsigned
    warnings.

    1.I do want to have vista now. I did read that the 64 bit specifically wants
    signed drivers while the 32 bit version doesn’t mention that. Does this mean
    if I get the 32 bit version I won’t face these problems again? Is this a
    known problem with vista 64? Do you know what is causing it?

    2.In the past 6 months, did things improve and now vista 64 bit is more
    reliable?

    3.Is vista 32 bit more like my current XP 32 bit, very stable and immune to
    problems?

    My system is as follows:

    Asus P5K motherboard
    Q6600 Intel quad core
    4 GB ram 667 MHz
    Nvidia 7800gtx
    2 SATA drives,
    700watt power supply

    Thanks a lot.
    RZOA, Feb 29, 2008

  2. Vista x64 has not been unstable in general although you may have a
    de-stablilized system. A lot of things can cause an unstable system.

    Drivers for Vista x86 do not have to be signed but they do have to be for
    Vista.

    Both Vista x86 and x64 are more stable than XP.

    The driver availablility for Vista x64 has improved over the past year.

    The lack of driver signing would not corrupt the registry. An unsigned
    driver simply would not install on x64.

    If the system is operable I suggest that you do an in-place upgrade. This
    is the equivalent of XP's repair install. You perform an in-place upgrade
    by inserting the dvd and when the splash screen appears click on Install
    Now. Be sure to choose the Upgrade option and not Custom. You will need to
    bring your system back up to date with Windows Update but you will not have
    to reinstall apps or files. Naturally, you want to make a back up before
    any such operation just as a precaution.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 29, 2008

  3. 1.) Vista 64bit requires signed drivers. That hasn't and won't change.
    Installing things that give you that message by saying continue anyway is a
    bad idea, and almost certainly led to your problems. Vista 32 bit doesn't
    require signed drivers. Whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing
    is subject to some discussion. ;) Personally, I don't run 32-bit windows
    any more.

    2.) Vista 64-bit has been completely reliable for me and for many others
    here. I have been running it for 18 months with no issues. Of course, I did
    my homework and chose components and applications that I knew would work
    well and had good drivers.

    3.) Vista 32-bit is not more stable that Vista 64-bit. Or any other Windows
    operating system. Is it more stable than XP? Personally, I think Vista can
    be more stable, IF you have the hardware to support it. Certainly the
    hardware requirements for Vista are much higher than for XP - at least
    double in virtually all areas, and often 3 or 4x in some areas.

    FWIW, neither Vista 32-bit nor XP 32-bit will see all 4 GB of your RAM. The
    exact amount that will be available will depend on the total address space
    claimed by the hardware on your system, but generally on the order of 1 GB
    will be unavailable.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 29, 2008
  4. RZOA

    Dennis Pack Guest

    RZOA:
    A BSOD isn't normal on any system including Vista x64. The driver
    signing normally won't cause a BSOD, it just doesn't install the driver. To
    help find the cause for the BSOD hit F8 during start-up and turn off the
    automatic reboot, write down the error codes to find the culprit. Have a
    great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Feb 29, 2008
  5. RZOA

    RZOA Guest

    Thanks for your quick answer. Appreciate your time.

    I understand from your post that I shouldn’t think about buying a 32 bit
    version since whatever caused the problem in 64 bit doesn’t mean it won’t
    happen in 32 bit. This is not 64 bit specific?

    You said that it is not possible to install unsigned drivers in vista 64,
    but I did, I did press “continue anywaysâ€, it gives you the option.

    I really can’t do the upgrade installation you mentioned because I really
    want to keep XP as a dual boot in a seperate hard drive since many of my work
    programs are still unstable in vista.
    RZOA, Feb 29, 2008
  6. Without knowing what caused the registry corruption there is no way to link
    that with the bitness of the OS. A three-day delay in the corruption
    showing up following an installation of something makes it pretty remote
    that there is a direct relationship there. If you can still read the Event
    Log/System you might find an error event but the connection may not be easy
    to establish beyond the time. In what specific way was the registry
    corrupted?

    Doing an in-place upgrade has no bearing on any other system installed on
    the computer. I have done an in-place upgrade of Vista on a computer that
    also had both the x86 and x64 versions of XP in a multiboot configuration.
    The upgrade is started from the Vista Home Premium desktop, not by booting
    with the dvd.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 29, 2008
  7. RZOA

    RZOA Guest

    Thanks for all your responces.

    Mr.Barnhorst asked “In what specific way was the registry corrupted?†I
    really can’t remember what the BSOD was displaying since this was 6 months. I
    have kept vista in my drawer since.

    I have two more question; signed drivers are required for the hardware
    components only? So say for example I am using Utorrent. And say for example
    Utorrent is a 32 bit program. I know that vista 64 supports 32 bit
    applications. But, say utorrent offers an update, does this update have to be
    specifically for 64 bit OS like the hardware components must be? In other
    words, to prevent any more registry problems, I should worry about the
    hardware components not the software.

    Also, signed driver doesn’t mean that the driver was written for 64 bit
    only; it means that the driver has also been reviewed by Microsoft? So even
    if a company does release a 64bit driver, it is still unsigned until it is
    reviewed.
    RZOA, Feb 29, 2008
  8. No, signed drivers are required period. As an example, a recent game, 1701
    A.D., uses a copy-protection driver. Sunflowers provides both 32bit and
    64bit copy-protectin drivers but they are not signed drivers (they didn't
    write the copy-protection drivers themselves). The 64bit driver will
    install on XP Pro x64 but not on Vista x64. The difference is that XP Pro
    x64 requires 64bit drivers (but does not require signage) while Vista x64
    requires 64bit signed drivers.

    As to the message that "this is not certified by windows" that you report
    you saw, that would apply to software but not to a driver. An unsigned
    driver simply won't install and the program will fail to work anytime the
    driver is called.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 29, 2008
  9. RZOA

    RZOA Guest

    Thanks alot, that made it clear for me.
    RZOA, Feb 29, 2008
  10. RZOA

    John Barnes Guest

    I think the message he is referring to (often see with beta drivers) is that
    they aren't WHQL and you are asked if you want to proceed to install it
    anyway.

    John Barnes, Feb 29, 2008
  11. It has probably been too long for him to remember exactly what he saw and
    under what cirucumstances.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 29, 2008
  12. RZOA

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    I have a different take on your problem, because I've seen those exact
    symptoms before. I'm going to say you've got some bad hardware somewhere
    and I would start with the SATA drive that Vista was installed on. Run
    one of those disk error checking programs and see if the disk passes all
    tests. Even if it does, I would try installing the OS on the other SATA
    drive and see if it's more stable. If that makes no difference, I would
    pull 2 GB of RAM out and install Vista again. Then try switching to the
    other 2 GB of RAM. I would run the the Vista memory check at boot up. A
    bad RAM chip, like a faulty drive causes all kinds of havoc. I would
    also make sure that you have the most recent video driver from nVidia
    and that your mobo's BIOS is the most recent version.

    BTW, you didn't mention whether Vista was seeing all 4 GB of RAM. The OS
    uses addresses between 3 and 4GB for hardware devices (Just go into the
    Device Manager and look for yourself.) and unless you run your mobo's
    CMOS setup and change the BIOS setting that's called "Remap Memory Hole"
    or something like that, you won't see all 4GB in Vista x64. This is not
    likely the cause of your problem though.

    I also have found Vista x64 to be pretty stable.

    JB

    jabloomf1230, Mar 1, 2008
  13. I think you need to reread the subject line. The OP is using 6GB of ram and
    the OS is x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 1, 2008
  14. RZOA

    Chris Cowles Guest

    > No, signed drivers are required period.

    I read somewhere there's a way to trick V64 into allowing unsigned
    drivers. False? What are the ramificaitons of doing so?
    --
    Chris Cowles
    Gainesville, FL
    Chris Cowles, Mar 1, 2008
  15. I believe that you can hit F8 when starting the computer and disable driver
    signing for the current session from the Advanced Boot Options Menu but the
    setting does not survive a restart. I have also been told that even that
    was disabled when Vista released so perhaps someone more knowledgeable on
    that point can respond. In any case, the purpose is to allow driver
    developers to work on their drivers. The option definitely should not be
    used by a user as a workaround for software that does not have a signed
    driver.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 1, 2008
  16. RZOA

    Roel Arts Guest

    Similar...

    I have a similar problem, and a similar mainboard to boot!

    Intel E8400
    Asus P5K-Premium/Wifi-AP
    Nvidia 8800GT
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 drive

    Vista Home Premium 64 bit on second partition (XP Pro 32 bits on first)

    Only for me, this problem already happens when the Vista install says "updating" - I reinstalled without the LAN cable attached to get around that, but first update - bam, registry corrupt, system won't boot. Next install attempt, I will first run the mem check, disable updates, and then install the updates one by one to see which one seems related to this issue.

    Haven't run the full mem check yet, but the 32 bit XP Pro works perfectly so far.
    Roel Arts, Jun 5, 2008